Wiimorse

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
while i do not really disagree with anything you have written the Wii comes into it's own when you have a couple of friends over and for that it's great however mines been collecting dust recently too, just been too many good games out on the ps3 and pc (and x-box but i gotta go see my bro if i want to play them)

I find that due to it's size the wii is very easy to pack up and take with me to freinds houses too and see's quite alot of action like that (and it's taken a fair few knocks on transit and touch wood it has survived very well)

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
tthor said:
I'm pretty disappointed with the wii too...

I would have loved to get a PS3, but it was a bit out of my price range, so i settled on a Wii, thinking it looked pretty fun. My entire family played it constantly, for the first 2 weeks. After that, it just sat there, gathering dust...

Some problems with the Wii:
-Hardly any games out for it, and all the games that ARE out for it are either aimed toward 5 year olds, MARIO, or just plain crappy. I swear, if I ever see that stupid mushroom eating plumber on yet another game title, I'll [-Fill in Random Threat-] !
-My other big problem with the wii is the motion sensors in the controls. There is RARELY any actual USE for it in most games, and the games that do have use for it basically just require random stick wagging. These wii controllers might actually be FUN to use if they integrated the movements with the games more. EXAMPLE- Maybe have something like some sword fighting game, where rather then just -swing left or right- or -swing up or down-, acually have it so your sword moves the same as your wii controller moves.

I think Nintendo is just experimenting with new never-done controls to catch people's attention,
like the Wii and the NintendoDS, but really don't take their time and think through,"How can we use this in our games to make the controls more enjoyable?".

...I wish I had a PS3....
That took a while. Sorry if I look like a jerk.

I'm sorry, you say that you want a PS3, and your reason for complaining about the Wii is a lack of games?

Excuse me while I laugh over here for a few minutes.

On the topic itself, I play my Wii quite a bit. Not every day, but that's just because the internet distracts me. It does have real games for it. Shocking, I know.
Plus, WiiWare is coming soon, so there will be more coming, and I don't have to get up off my lazy butt to go and get it!

Alright, so a bunch of the games are minigames. Whatever. There are enough full games to keep me preoccupied. Bully: Scholarship Edition, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, y'know, stuff like that. Yes I know Bully isn't an exclusive title. It doesn't have to be.
Then I've got the Virtual Console games to keep me occupied, too. I'm still trying to get past the last world in Super Mario Bros. 3. (That s#$! is hard!)

So yeah. I'm enjoying my Wii, and have been since I got it.

Befuggly

Mar 14, 2008
An interesting post, but there should be equally in-depth posts about the Xbox 360 with it's very unsatisfying library of shitty games and the PS3 with it's lack of games altogether. I own all of these systems including the Wii and they each have downsides, although if I was to choose one of them to be the absolute ***** of the bunch it would have to be the Xbox 360. Unfortunately Microsoft isn't the kind of company to follow "lessons learned" and neither are it's publishers. Sure there are games like GoW, and CoD4, but those titles make the system. Unfortunately the 360 actually has an extensive library compared to the other two systems, but that library is so full of shit that people don't own, don't care and don't play anything besides the four or five main titles that are big on the Xbox 360. The reason I find the 360 to be the biggest ***** of the bunch is because I wanted it to be a great system and I really wanted to enjoy lots of great games for it. This just isn't so and that's why I'm very dissapointed. Since it is an Online "multiplayer" console you'd think there would be more online games with intuitive multiplayer game play yet, the titles are few and far between (but I do enjoy those few games - unfortunately they do grow tiresome and boring). To top off this system's hype, XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade and the Marketplace in general) is just as rotten and lacking as the mainstream library that Microsoft boasts the 360 to have. This is unforgivable because the 360 has had much more development time (especially where their online marketplace is concerned). The Online Marketplaces for XBL and PS3 are in a sad state, while the Wii has VC and WiiWare delivering all new (and exclusive) titles for casual and hardcore gamers to enjoy. So without knocking the other systems further I think it's safe to say that the Wii has a bright future.

This isn't a bash against any one system but for the money, and the fact that the prices are so competitive now, the Wii really shines as a family friendly and gamer friendly system with enough titles to please most gamers. There aren't any serious RPG's yet but this is Nintendo, we know RPG's are on the agenda. Nintendo seems to want to please their gamers and judging by *almost* every system they've released, they have the gamer within each of us in mind. Luckily they're still young and constantly moving, I'm more excited with my purchase of the Wii than I am disappointed, which I can't say about the other two systems.

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
Maybe it's because I missed the GameCube-Ps2-XBox era that I enjoy my Wii so much. I have quite a large library of Wii and GameCube games, and haven't finished all of it (around 50 games) yet. I didn't get a 360 because it's not that supported here, and a RRoD is irreplaceable. The PS3 has around the same price as the 360, but there aren't really that many good games... incredibly, one of the ones I've most liekd was Lair, even if it was a shitfest.

Mainly, what I don't like about the PS3 and 360 (other than the fact that they brake down the most) is the backwards compatibility. Maybe I'll wait for the next generation before getting a non-ninty console.

Greatfrito

Apr 16, 2008
While I understand the sentiment of the article, I've really had a different experience.

I purchased my Wii the first month it was out, returned it (to make rent), then got another soon thereafter. It has never stopped being an absolute hit. Even at the start, with its dirge of games, Wii Sports was enough to hold the system together on its own. But then again, I was under different circumstances: College, with always -more- people than could play.

Since that initial joy at the system though, the one thing I've felt hit is the lack of games. There have been only four or five games on the Wii that I felt I -needed- to have, and perhaps a few more that are fun and entertaining. This would be a bigger problem -if- I didn't already own more games for the Wii than I did for the Playstation, the PS2, or the X-Box, and if it wasn't already more games than I want for either the 360 or the PS3.

As for the family playing it, my parents and sister really took to the Wii. So much so that my sister ended up getting her own. It gets quite a bit of play, I'm told.

The one thing that I really agree with the article is this: The Wii is a travesty of unfulfilled potential. If design concepts are so obvious to myself and others when we play the existing games ("What if you had a full fighting game, and it did what you did? What if you had an RPG where the weapons did what you did!"), why aren't they being applied in the games? The Wii has more potential for new and interesting applications, but no one is stepping up. Even Nintendo itself is not really integrating the controller - the thing that sets it apart - into their games.

And multiplayer, oh multiplayer. Honestly, I never had high hopes for Wii multiplayer. It just wasn't meant to be. Perhaps someday Nintendo will claw their heads from their asses and institute a real online experience. I mean, honestly, Brawl with no voice chat? That is a crime, a real crime. The "children friendly" online gaming doesn't -have- to mean "enjoyment proof" online gaming - you already have parental controls built into the system - use them! And to top this problem off, there's really no sign of Nintendo flagging on this one. They're selling perfectly well without online multiplayer - a -real- online multiplayer - so why bother with it now?

And yet the Wii is as fun as the day I got it. Wii Sports continues to amaze (and spark questions of "Why haven't other games -done- this?"), and there are just as many games on the Wii as there on the other platforms that I -really- want to own.

I've no buyers remorse for my Wii.

Clippy

Aug 29, 2007
I actually bought my Wii from someone suffering from Wiimorse (only five months after launch) - lucky me! Since the whole notion of waiting in front of a store is ridiculous to me, it worked out splendidly for me.

While the game releases may have been a bit sparse at first, this is definitely not the case anymore. It also helps that third-party support is finally picking up the slack, too. I find it funny how people only seem to buy the Wii for first-party games. Sucks to be them because there is a host of other titles, which aren't craptastic mini-games, that are a joy to behold. Right now, only a third out of my two dozen games are made by Nintendo. I actually have a higher first-party/third-party ratio on my DS. Imagine that.

The lack in the online space doesn't really bother me, since I prefer single-player games for the most part. I still enjoy bouts of multiplayer mayhem, but it doesn't bother me that the options for interacting with others is relatively limited. Too many jerks out there anyways. I prefer a quick fun match over the rants of a doo-doo-head. In addition, I find online gaming to be too sterile, no matter how many communication options one may have. I'll always prefer local over online play when it comes down to it.

I'm far from a rabid fanboy. Hell, I never really understood those people, anyways. It's just that Nintendo's consoles have always appealed to me more. I have no problem with quirky and cutesy, as long as there's good gameplay to go a long with it.

That said, I also own a Xbox 360. Funnily enough, while I thought it was going to dominate my little guy's playtime, the opposite occured. Sure, there are some really fun and well-made quality titles, but, at the end of the day, my 360 ended up being the complimentary console of the two. As for the PS3, I've had chances to play it on varying occasions, and I wasn't really impressed. I still don't get what's so hot about the GT and Metal Gear series - yes, I have played games from both. It also doesn't help that I never was a big fan of the playstation controller's layout, which I find to be far from comfortable. *shrugs*

Apr 16, 2008
I do agree with you, with one exception. Since Super Smash Bros. came out, my Wii has been getting constant attention. I gotta admit, it really is a fun experience, even on its own. The only disappointment is the online multi-player, which fights you every step of the way. I honestly do not know why nintendo is so afraid of Online to the point where they make it completely unplayable. The 360 and PS3 have no problems.

had they focused their efforts online, they would have had so many opportunities. Imagine a game like Animal Crossing online? With a persistent and changing world. Or even a Zelda MMO?

But look at the situation. Sony and Microsoft went online in the last generation, and those iterations were "average" at best. Nintendo, on the other hand, refused to take its customers online claiming that customers "didn't really care about online that much".

Now here comes the next generation. Sony and microsoft are ready with the online because they spent most of the previous generation working out the kinks in there systems. So when this generation starts, they are immediately ready with online stores, friends lists, and near lag free multi player. Nintendo, on the other hand, realized it mistake last generation and now rushes to fix it. What we get, therefore, is bare minimum multi-player, an online store with old titles, and a bunch of channels that really dont do anything.

It is a tragedy for nintendo, but its one of their own making.

Wave-360

Jan 24, 2008
Adam LaMosca said:
Wiimorse

I bought a Wii on release day, seduced by its reasonable price, magical controllers and family-friendliness. General tech lust and the promise of a new Zelda title didn't hurt, either. Now it sits atop my entertainment center, blanketed in a layer of dust. Cold, unplayed and unloved. I haven't switched it on in weeks.

Read Full Article
Havent touched my wii since i got a PS3
Thats 6 months!!!

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
tthor said:
-my other big problem with the wii are the motion sensers in the controls. there is RARELY any actual USE for it in most games. and the games that do have use for it basicly just require random stick wagging. these wii controllers might actually be FUN to use if they integrated the movements with the games more.EXAMPLE- maybe have something like some sword fighting game, where rather then just -swing left or right- or -swing up or down-, acually have it so your sword moves the same as your wii controller moves.
One of the big problems with the Wii is that the motion sensors only measure acceleration. The motion sensors are not capable of detecting where your hand is in space. As such, I don't expect that the sensors inside the current wiimote will ever be capable of replicating accurate sword slashes or other motions in space. For slow motions, the wiimote mainly measures the direction that gravity is acting. For fast motions, the wiimote measures quick twitches without having accurate knowledge of the orientation of the wiimote. Both types of measurement interfere with each other. For example, twitches and wiggles interfere with the measurement of gravity.

(The pointing ability via the sensor bar is a different story.)

bobraj

Feb 7, 2008
I know that some gamers are extremely disappointed with the Wii but i believe the good times are just around the corner at E3. Most every Dev around the world has had a gander at the unique input of the Wii and I can't believe that there aren't some juicy titles waiting to be announced. If there aren't, then I suggest there is a serious problem with the Dev community and it's lack of ideas/funding.

On a personal level, I have been completely bowled over by the Wii and it's software lineup. Just a reminder to the naysayers, you can choose from Super Mario Galaxy(Best Game Ever!!) Zelda TP, RE4, Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports, GH3, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, PES 2008 and Super Paper Mario. These are just the games that I have bought.

Impressive lineup wouldn't you say!

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Kemmler0 said:
Wii was a fad... PS3 will win the console wars. It's inevitable.

The beauty of it is that Sony didn't release a games console. Its a media server.
i have to agree with you there. the only reason why PS3 isn't at the top is simply because of price,

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
cyber95 said:
tthor said:
I'm pretty disappointed with the wii too...

I would have loved to get a PS3, but it was a bit out of my price range, so i settled on a Wii, thinking it looked pretty fun. My entire family played it constantly, for the first 2 weeks. After that, it just sat there, gathering dust...

Some problems with the Wii:
-Hardly any games out for it, and all the games that ARE out for it are either aimed toward 5 year olds, MARIO, or just plain crappy. I swear, if I ever see that stupid mushroom eating plumber on yet another game title, I'll [-Fill in Random Threat-] !
-My other big problem with the wii is the motion sensors in the controls. There is RARELY any actual USE for it in most games, and the games that do have use for it basically just require random stick wagging. These wii controllers might actually be FUN to use if they integrated the movements with the games more. EXAMPLE- Maybe have something like some sword fighting game, where rather then just -swing left or right- or -swing up or down-, acually have it so your sword moves the same as your wii controller moves.

I think Nintendo is just experimenting with new never-done controls to catch people's attention,
like the Wii and the NintendoDS, but really don't take their time and think through,"How can we use this in our games to make the controls more enjoyable?".

...I wish I had a PS3....
That took a while. Sorry if I look like a jerk.

I'm sorry, you say that you want a PS3, and your reason for complaining about the Wii is a lack of games?

Excuse me while I laugh over here for a few minutes.

On the topic itself, I play my Wii quite a bit. Not every day, but that's just because the internet distracts me. It does have real games for it. Shocking, I know.
Plus, WiiWare is coming soon, so there will be more coming, and I don't have to get up off my lazy butt to go and get it!

Alright, so a bunch of the games are minigames. Whatever. There are enough full games to keep me preoccupied. Bully: Scholarship Edition, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, y'know, stuff like that. Yes I know Bully isn't an exclusive title. It doesn't have to be.
Then I've got the Virtual Console games to keep me occupied, too. I'm still trying to get past the last world in Super Mario Bros. 3. (That s#$! is hard!)

So yeah. I'm enjoying my Wii, and have been since I got it.
the games arent my main issue, (tho they do account for a large portion of dust on my wii,)
my main problem is that they hardly use the wiimotes and nunchuks to their FULL potential, giving them often little to no use while gaming. HONESTLY, i use my gamecube controller on the WII more then i use the wiimote!.

(also, Bully: Scholarship Edition =looks pretty stupid, and probably no real plot, Metroid Prime 3 =nvr been a fan of the metroid series,and Super Mario Galaxy =*-beats the stupid plumber over the head with a plunger repeatedly until he stops moving, in hopes that Nintendo will nvr be able to revive him again with some new stupid mario game-*... i think that helps tell you how much i dislike the mario series)

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I got a Wii on launch as well. Was a nooby, naive, and younger Nintendotard. I had never had anything but a Nintendo system.

Loved it. Played Zelda for 60 hours total. Played Wii Sports quite a bit. My friends all got Wiis as well.

Got a 360, and it all went downhill. The multiplayer blew me away---I could talk to people all over the world! It was a new experience. I loved it. Lost Planet, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, BioShock (especially that!), and more...

I haven't played my Wii in about 5 months. It's boring. I play PC games a lot more now--Morrowind, FEAR, KOTOR 2--since we got a computer that can actually handle games. GMod takes up quite a bit of time.

Wii's online is a real pile of crap that I won't elaborate on--plenty of people here have already done that. My family doesn't play games. My friends and I play D&D or Halo when we are together.

Ehh.. Wish I'd waited, but I was a fucktard two years ago. A complete and utter fucktard.

I forgot: Super Paper Mario and ZeldaTP are my two fave Wii games. I still like them but don't play 'em anymore. Galaxy? Ehh. Got twelve or so stars and quit, mainly because I had been infected by the xbox bug by then. Originally, thought brawl would be the best game in the world. Still don't have it a month and a half later.

bedhouin

Apr 17, 2008
Yep, same old story. Bought the Wii. Played RE4. Wife had some fun with Elebits and Chicken Shoot, and then bam! It got old real fast.

Cleaned it up, packed it back into it's box, and gave it to friend with three young children. They love it, and play it every chance they're allowed.

Great product for it's target audience, but I can't stand people who make it out to be something it isn't. PS3 and X360 are fighting they're own battle. The Wii is off in a corner being an annoyance.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Nordstrom said:
tthor said:
-my other big problem with the wii are the motion sensers in the controls. there is RARELY any actual USE for it in most games. and the games that do have use for it basicly just require random stick wagging. these wii controllers might actually be FUN to use if they integrated the movements with the games more.EXAMPLE- maybe have something like some sword fighting game, where rather then just -swing left or right- or -swing up or down-, acually have it so your sword moves the same as your wii controller moves.
One of the big problems with the Wii is that the motion sensors only measure acceleration. The motion sensors are not capable of detecting where your hand is in space. As such, I don't expect that the sensors inside the current wiimote will ever be capable of replicating accurate sword slashes or other motions in space. For slow motions, the wiimote mainly measures the direction that gravity is acting. For fast motions, the wiimote measures quick twitches without having accurate knowledge of the orientation of the wiimote. Both types of measurement interfere with each other. For example, twitches and wiggles interfere with the measurement of gravity.

(The pointing ability via the sensor bar is a different story.)
i guess you have a point there... there is only so far they can go with new game technology

InsoFox

Apr 18, 2008
Ooookay. Perspective from someone who's just done the opposite and bought a Wii (I'm already a 360 owner).

First of all, I like the idea of the Wii. I think most people do - it's the delivery on the idea that has often been disappointing. There have been lots of links drawn between the unique DS controls and the Wii controls but there's one important difference. In the case of the DS, the control system really -does- seem revolutionary. It's a great way to play handheld games and I can hardly think of DS game that didn't benefit from that control system. I find it difficult to play Advance Wars the old way, and Zelda felt so natural that I forgot how different the control system was.

On the other hand the Wii hasn't proved so far to be the amazing triumph of ease-of-use and gameplay over graphics that was promised. Instead the word 'gimmick' sometimes seems appropriate, while everyone (including me) that cried 'gimmick!' at the DS has long shut up, buried under a barrage of great games.

So if I think all this, why did I get one? Well, for a start, I like Nintendo games. Secondly, though there are a whole load of mediocre games and gimmicky party games for the system, occasionally something really special happens, and I don't want to miss out on that. But the main thing is that I realised, in the end, that the kind of games I play on Nintendo systems are completely different to other consoles. They scratch a seperate itch. I doubt I'll ever have as many Wii games if I have for my 360, but the ones I do have will be greatly treasured and will cater to that more innocent, whimsical 10 year old side of me that still has some sort of sense of wonder. I've lost count of the number of times so far that SMG has made me giggle with amusement or cry out in surprise.

So, it doesn't worry me that the Wii might not be switched on every day or even every week, because I know that every once in a while something will be released to make me do that again.

Engar

May 15, 2008
Frantic Edit: Crikey, didn't realise quite how old this post was. Idle surfing led to this hiccup, many apologies. What a way to start..

I'm beginning think that the Wii, while a welcome supplement to a PS3 or 360, is barely a games console in it's own right. I've loved the Wii games I've bought - particularly No More Heroes, as it happens, though I can certainly see the flaws that upset the original poster - but, in spite of how long I've owned the Wii, my pile of game cases is a more of a mole-hill than a mountain. The fact of the matter is that most of my purchases have been on Virtual Console; what was originally nothing more than a neat little bonus.

I've clocked in more hours playing 1080 Snowboarding with my flat-mates than I ever did with Twilight Princess (which I abandoned five to ten hours in, struck by a shocking lack of interest as to where the adventure was going) and the attractions of Link to the Past and Mario Bros 3 are not to be overlooked. Then you include surfing the net, browsing the headlines, and idly checking the weather in LA..

In the end, while the Wii might stay on for an awful long time, I'm simply not playing the games I bought it for. I'm not entirely sure what games I expected - there's probably a pinch of blind faith to blame there - but they haven't arrived yet. I'm still hopeful for their eventual release.

Still, up until Nintendo step away from their well-worn mascots and make good on this 'Brave New World' that was promised, I'm saving up for a 360.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Ranzel said:
But really, the Wii is amazingly fun if you have friends playing right next to you. That includes Mario Party, Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl. The fact that you aren't bringing your friends to your house doesn't make it a bad console.
This is what my friend explicitly bought his Wii for. He says that he won't get any single-player games, just multiplayer games.

But me, I'm a single-player gamer, so the Wii would be wasted on me. The only game I'd get would be Metroid. Which is why I'm happy with my Xbox 360.

'To each their own'...