Wil Wheaton Announces "Don't Be a Dick Day"

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
What a coincidence. Today we're voting if we should keep or dismiss our current president, who's been kind of a giant dick. Will Wheaton has spoken, down with the presidential dick!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Says the guy who has an internet show about table top games he plays regularly so he can be a dick to the other players.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I vote we make everyday don't be a dick day! Screw Christmas, we need to get this holiday started 6 months early!

I wish it really was as easy as saying 'don't be a dick' and nothing else, I really do. People just aren't built that way though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's a very nice sentiment Wil, but I can already tell from some of the other posters on this thread that it's going to be a massive failure. Some (read: "many") people are just natural born dicks. ¬__¬

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Somehow I think people will fail to interpret the chart and will continue to be dicks.

Oh well, the sentiment is nice. I think I'll be a nice guy tomorrow.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Listen folks, women want to be treated equally so they should be. If you're a dick to other guys, then you SHOULD be a dick to women too. Anything else is preferential treatment.
Yes, but there's a difference. Guys who are being dicks in games tend to call each other stupid fucking camper noob twats in games (or be completely unintelligible).
They tend to do this [http://fatuglyorslutty.com/] to women.

Anyway... we shouldn't need a day to not be dicks. We should have a day where we CAN be dicks and the rest of the year we shouldn't be.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'll try but I doubt I'll make it throughout the whole day. I just know at some point someone is gonna say something to me and I'll end up being a total dick like I always do.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
That's a very nice sentiment Wil, but I can already tell from some of the other posters on this thread that it's going to be a massive failure. Some (read: "many") people are just natural born dicks. ¬__¬
I particularly like the implication that because he mentioned "if a woman enters a game" and "don't be a dick" in the same quote, he's now sexist.

I try to not be a dick all the time.

It usually works pretty well. :D

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Crono1973 said:
"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like... don't be a dick."
Being a Trek fan and thinking Wheaton was a pretty cool guy I had nothing but respect for him but this quote just means he's caught up in this PC bullshit too.

Listen folks, women want to be treated equally so they should be. If you're a dick to other guys, then you SHOULD be a dick to women too. Anything else is preferential treatment.

Watch how many women come along to defend preferential treatment.
so you're advicating being a dick? so everybody should be a dick to everyone else? I am pretty sure you're not a dick on the internet, but we should not be dicks to anyone; and just saying "don't indiscrimatly be a dick" doesn't fix the promblem;
if I go around poisoning people, it doesn't make it right if I do it indiscriminatly; I am still poisoning people and thats wrong because people don't deserve being poisoned/being insulted by a dick by some person whose grasping for whatever that compells them to do said acts

Nobody said being a dick to men is right while being a dick to women is wrong; being a dick to anybody is wrong.

P.s: he metioned women specically because ot just so happens that examples of really horrible things being said to women is being talked about right now

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
jamesbrown said:
Crono1973 said:
"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like... don't be a dick."
Being a Trek fan and thinking Wheaton was a pretty cool guy I had nothing but respect for him but this quote just means he's caught up in this PC bullshit too.

so you're advicating being a dick? so everybody should be a dick to everyone else? I am pretty sure you're not a dick on the internet, but we should not be dicks to anyone; and just saying "don't indiscrimatly be a dick" doesn't fix the promblem;
if I go around poisoning people, it doesn't make it right if I do it indiscriminatly; I am still poisoning people and thats wrong because people don't deserve being poisoned/being insulted by a dick by some person whose grasping for whatever that compells them to do said acts

Nobody said being a dick to men is right while being a dick to women is wrong; being a dick to anybody is wrong.

P.s: he metioned women specically because ot just so happens that examples of really horrible things being said to women is being talked about right now
That he mentioned women especially IS my problem. It's funny how people claim that men have all the power but when women complain, everyone fuckin' jumps onboard to be chivalrous. That shit makes me sick.

I would prefer if people weren't dicks to each other, EQUALLY!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crono1973 said:

that's not what he was saying at all.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Crono1973][quote]"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like... don't be a dick."[/QUOTE]

Watch how many women come along to defend preferential treatment.[/quote]

Women are definitely treated worse on the Internet pal, and if you can't figure that out you really need to click that fat, slut, or ugly link (or whatever the order is). I've been on the Internet for a while and I have gotten nowhere near the level of shit that site shows women getting.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Revnak said:
[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Crono1973][quote]"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like... don't be a dick."[/QUOTE]

Watch how many women come along to defend preferential treatment.[/quote]

Women are definitely treated worse on the Internet pal, and if you can't figure that out you really need to click that fat, slut, or ugly link (or whatever the order is). I've been on the Internet for a while and I have gotten nowhere near the level of shit that site shows women getting.[/quote]

I am not your pal.

Of course women are treated worse, they always are and will always be so sayeth themselves. One day you'll tire of their whining too and wonder why no one gives a shit when men complain but jump to their rescue the minute women complain. Look how big this thing has become recently? It's like a damn movement now for those gullible enough to fall for it, as Wil Wheaton apparently has.

Ask yourself this, if men were treated worse on the internet and they complained, would anyone fuckin' care? Most likely men would be told to sit down and "take it like a man".

So you go on being chivalrous if it makes you feel better. I am done here.

I say, don't be a dick to anyone but the minute you single out one gender, that's called sexism.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
So if I want to not get Wil anything for his Bday, I just need to be a dick to someone?

What if I'm a dick to someone else being a dick? Does he approve of that?

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Every day's don't be a dick day when you're nice to people.
Spread the love!!! :D

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
Which is ironic because Wil Wheaton is a dickbag himself.

Disagree with his opinions and oh lawd, if you expected "rational discussion", you've got another thing coming..

Also, let's just shut down this "sexism" issue before it even starts. Man, woman, gay, straight, black, white etc. joins a game? Don't be a dick, simple as that. Unless of course you're a 12 year old troll, in which case I don't really think what some 40 year old guy who was once in Star Trek says is going to matter.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
I actually agree with crono. There is a ton of 'white knight syndrome' out there, and under the right circumstances, a woman could get bent over that as well. Shit, I've seen plenty of it across my years of forum trolling (as well as dating, but it's been a tumultuous season).

The only option is to play ignorant, and more importantly - SILENT - over the plight of women, and just let them vent as needed. Pulling out chairs for them at the table, opening doors and requesting to pay the bill often times brings upon the same wrath you'd get if you didn't in the first place. Yay equality.

capcha: hot sauce (tell me about it!)

~in retrospect, maybe there is just nothing you can do about avoiding it. If they are gonna rage, they will find reason to, so it's not like any outlook is wrong so much as it's being in the wrong place and the wrong time.