Will console graphics ever beat PC graphics?

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
I really do wonder why this question is even being asked.

Computer game animations, cut scenes and all on screen movement was all created using a 3d animation program (most likely 3ds max) on PC so the very fact that the "graphics" we're made on the PC tells you the answer rather plainly.

Danish_4116

Sep 15, 2009
I don't think that it will be able to keep up with the rate at which PC's are able to advance technologically. Let's say PlayStation 4 is released tomorrow and has the capabilities of a top of the line gaming PC at the moment. For the moment the PS4 is on par with the PC's capabilities and will even look better than mid-range PC's graphically. But, as new tech becomes available and cheaper, the PS4 will begin to lag behind graphically again.

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
It depends whether games are still developed for pc's by the big companies. With piracy and the enormous amount of testing needed, I think this is more of an issue. As the consoles grow, I think less and less games (especially AAAs) will be made available on the pc. So this would mean that qua capabilities the pc would still be superior, yet effectively be less. While I do not expect this in the near future, it would not suprise me to see it happen.

One other small point I want to make: Artwork is so much more important than the number of pixels or draw distances. I have seen console only games that are way prettier than any countergame on the pc. Not because of the strength of the console, but because of the absolutely stunning artwork (of course can work the other way as well).

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Will a generation of consoles beat the same generation's pc graphics? No, never.

However, tomorrow's consoles might beat today's pc graphics.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
...congratulations for ignoring any actual information, I guess..

Anyway. So here's a funny article, about placing the cpu and the gpu on the same die.
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/11/8250.ars

..it's from 2006. It discusses the progression the chip-developers would make towards this design. Obviously, as we can see, this is not going to happen any time soon. Meanwhile, the Cell-design remains that one single design in that direction that made it to the market.

So read the article. And feel free to change your opinion about how PCs are always superior, no matter what. I mean, you can't make that kind of sweeping comment without basing it off of something. That's just common sense.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
No, because I have a nVidia GTX 480, and you're stuck with whatever you have in the PS3 while I'll go get me another one.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Consoles catching up graphics-wise with PCs? Maybe. Surpassing? Never. Since PC hardware can be upgraded after purchase on a regular basis, the graphics and processing power can be constantly improved. With consoles, what you get when you got it is what you are stuck with. Part of what makes consoles more convenient for gaming than PCs is that you don't have to worry about whether you can play your newly bought game in your console. The game is ready made for the console because the game developers already know what the hardware of your console can run. Start making consoles upgradable and they will just be PCs that can only game. At which point you might as well just get a PC.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
bloodmage2 said:
Hyper-space said:
Imagine if instead of consoles you just had attachments, which you could connect to the back/front of the computer and it would allow you to play console games on it.

That way, you would not need a new console every few years in order to match the ever evolving PC graphics.
emulators. hell, a semi-competent programmer can rig up a boot to the console's OS and launch the ROMs from there.
Then why are there no working PS3 emulators?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
bahumat42 said:
duchaked said:
bahumat42 said:
duchaked said:
you would have a point on co-op if it wasn't becoming less prevalent. (local multiplayer is almost always shafted for online nowadays, even if you can lan lol)
wellll I don't think my point really dies off

haha but yeah I mean co-op is a modern standard but many companies are just cheaping out >:[

but yeah I guess [forcing people to buy two copies] is better than one [copy sold] lol
btw wasnt arguing against local co-op (or multiplayer) being more fun, infact my fondest gaming meories are pwning people at mario kart or co-op on dynasty warriors, its just due to the technical limitations of the system (irony huh) its hard for it to run two high resolution highly graphically demanding instances of the same game at once, increase more with each player. Conundrum :(
oh man, Mario Kart 64...best times ever

but yeah...I suppose so. it bothers me most when a game CAN support local co-op (oh heck, just TWO at least) but no, folds their arms and asks you to do system link/LAN/Internet (aka purchase two copies of the game) for consoles >:[ no no

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
No.
Console Graphics are almost at the level of PCs, but PCs are getting better every day, consoles only get significant upgrades every few years, however, this generation of consoles will get better graphics a lot easier due to updates. But consoles can never be better than PCs graphic-wise, only at the same level.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While the majority of people in this thread have already stated the obvious reasons why console graphics will never surpass PC ones, I would like to provide one that doesn't occur to most people...the graphics are already too good.

Some people may laugh at this statement. But consider what has been happening this generation. The PS3/360 have been suffering due to a low adoption rate. PS2 outsold or sold just as well as it's successor for many years. There are no plans for successors anytime soon. And the Wii has experienced booming success.

All of this points to one conclusion, the elephant in the room that the industry has been trying to ignore.....that graphics have reached the point where they can no longer serve as a selling point. The PS3/360 are already overshooting the market as it is....better graphics will not solve that conundrum.

To be honest, though, I actually think that the slowdown in graphical advances is beneficial to PC gaming. While PC's have always had the most advanced graphics, the constant push for improved visuals has had a tendency to make computers obsolete very quickly and thus leaving the majority of the market behind (most consumers have no reason to upgrade frequently; afterall, they usually use their computers for simple tasks and not gaming). With graphical advances slowing down, it means that PC's capable of modern gaming will become more affordable, slowly increasing their number and thus expanding the potential market for PC games.