will fallout 3 be too much like oblivion

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Right... I decided to re-watch some of the promotional videos. Bethesda definitly knows their corny Americana, which is very important. I have no doubt that the game will have a lot of hilarious moments like the previous ones. The birthday party and the greasers in the vault and the whole vault-tec commercial is spot on to the point of bringing tears of nostalgia to my eyes. (check this if you haven't seen it)
It does look a bit combat heavy though... which is the only part that still worries me. If they're going with their standard approach to quests where the only choice is kill or be killed, that will definitly dull the experience a bit. But I remain positive that Bethesda remembers that the original games were slightly niche and odd and that a lot of people are on edge because the Elder Scrolls company is messing around with their favorite brand.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
I sure hope not. Oblivion was one of the few mistakes I ever made in buying a game. What I don't get in Fallout 3 is that freeze the game and shoot at a certain point on the enemy's body. What is to stop me from doing that throughout the whole game? Wouldn't that just make the game to easy? I can stop any enemy in time and aim for his most vulnerable spots? Hmmm!!! A flaw in gameplay maybe?

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Just leave it be. We can speculate until the cows come home, but that isn't going to do anyone any good. Bethesda isn't going to change the game because someone on the internet doesn't like what their doing. People who are excited about it or planned to buy the game aren't going to be convinced otherwise, and people who cannot stand the design of the game because it's "Oblivion with gunz!" are not going to change their mind either.

So we can all go and do something more worthwhile now.

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
nilcypher post=9.69735.669363 said:
Low content posts FTW right?

PC Gamer UK have a preview article in their latest issue. One of the points they stress early is that it doesn't play like Oblivion. They give the example of the town of Megaton, so called because it has an unexploded nuke at it's centre.

Any guesses about what you can do with the nuke?

That's right, you can detonate it, wiping out the town.
That's impossible. When a nuke touches the ground the warhead gets damaged. When a warhead gets damaged it's completely useless, and can never detonate again.
On topic, I think it looks like an FPS Oblivion aswell, and am I dissapointed in that.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
jamie5166 post=9.69735.670506 said:
i think that this has been a pretty sucessful topic cosidering its my first
I'm not sure how much credit you can actually take for that...

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
nilcypher post=9.69735.670670 said:
I'm going to say 7. He can take 7 credit.

- J

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Look at the game deoms so far. Look at Oblivion and Fallout 1 or 2. Which one is it more like?

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Hehe... oh man. This fan interview is pretty funny.

There are not scars or tattoos you can pick. But, there are beards. And not just any beards. We have them all. We have the most ridiculous list of beards in any game, ever. One of our artists went crazy with beards and didn't stop.
Well, that does it. I am now oficially buying Fallout 3, the game that loves beards :D

jamie5166

Feb 20, 2008
tiredinnuendo post=9.69735.670702 said:
nilcypher post=9.69735.670670 said:
I'm going to say 7. He can take 7 credit.

- J
hell yess 7 credit to me :D

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
Why are there people worried about this? Just because developer A made game 1, it doesn't mean A's next game will be like 2 in a different package. Why not wait for the game to come out and then decide!

jamie5166

Feb 20, 2008
[zonking great said:
post=9.69735.670845]Why are there people worried about this? Just because developer A made game 1, it doesn't mean A's next game will be like 2 in a different package. Why not wait for the game to come out and then decide!
we arent worried mate we are just discussing it

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
RAKtheUndead post=9.69735.670753 said:
That's impossible. When a nuke touches the ground the warhead gets damaged. When a warhead gets damaged it's completely useless, and can never detonate again.
Depends on the type of warhead. The relatively unsophisticated gun-type warheads might still work with a bit of technical skill.
I think most do.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
zonking great post=9.69735.670845 said:
Why are there people worried about this? Just because developer A made game 1, it doesn't mean A's next game will be like 2 in a different package. Why not wait for the game to come out and then decide!
If you read the interviews with the developers, it's clear that they recycled a lot of the same mechanics and concepts from game 1 (being Oblivion) in game 2 (being Fallout 3). The most apparent ones being a reduced number of skills, real time combat, unkillable NPC's, radiant AI and fast travel. Knowing that, the phrase "Oblivion with guns" suddenly doesn't seem so far-fetched.

I still think it will be cool though. I didn't hate Oblivion. I was just expecting something else.

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
I didn't like Oblivion, but I did like Morrowind. I loved Fallout and I'm very dissapointed with some of their choices.

jamie5166

Feb 20, 2008
poleboy post=9.69735.670930 said:
zonking great post=9.69735.670845 said:
If you read the interviews with the developers, it's clear that they recycled a lot of the same mechanics and concepts from game 1 (being Oblivion) in game 2 (being Fallout 3). The most apparent ones being a reduced number of skills, real time combat, unkillable NPC's, radiant AI and fast travel. Knowing that, the phrase "Oblivion with guns" suddenly doesn't seem so far-fetched.

I still think it will be cool though. I didn't hate Oblivion. I was just expecting something
else.
HOO RAH

lcdenominator

Aug 28, 2008
Oblivion lacked soul, which I think was the problem. All the characters where flat characetures and while there were thousands of missions to be completed, there was little incentive to as:

a) The missions themselves were very boring. There was no story "reward" as in snappy banter or a good joke, or an unexpected plot twist. The people all seemed incredibly dull.

b) While you gained experience and items, everyone in the world was levelled around you, raising them to an equal bar and negating any sense of empowerment that comes with other games.

c) Everything apart from combat was really not very well fleshed out. Sneaking was an exceptionally simple simulation with none of the finesse of system shock 2, deus ex, or thief, magic just seemed to be point and release and lock picking was a pretty crappy subgame. Also, the splitting of levels into "rooms" which had to be loaded between fairly ruined the sneaking experience, as you would just "appear" in the the next place.

The game looked incredible and there was certainly a lot to do, but it was all a little dull.

Fallout 3 should fix most of these problems.

From what I've seen of the dialogue screens there hasn't been any particularly snappy dialogue but they say they're taking the black humour of fallout into account and as stated above, they seem to have a good feel for post apocalyptic 1950s Americana. Also, someone over at RockPaperShotgun.com spent half an hour drinking out of a toilet bowl, and you certainly couldn't do that in oblivion.

The levelling has been removed, so there's definitely going to be a sense of progression and with the VATs system in place at least combat will be a lot more interesting, even if the other subsystems are a little bare boned. I'm currently playing fallout 2 and, to be honest, most of the other systems in it aren't particularly complex anyway. Things like sneaking are just clicking a button.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
tiamat5 post=9.69735.670629 said:
I sure hope not. Oblivion was one of the few mistakes I ever made in buying a game. What I don't get in Fallout 3 is that freeze the game and shoot at a certain point on the enemy's body. What is to stop me from doing that throughout the whole game? Wouldn't that just make the game to easy? I can stop any enemy in time and aim for his most vulnerable spots? Hmmm!!! A flaw in gameplay maybe?
So I take it you never played the original games?

In response to others:

The biggest problem I had with Oblivion wasn't the similarity in many quests, the essential characters, or any other number of things people often complain about. I didn't much like the leveling of everyone around you, and I didn't not being able to target a specific body part (i.e. no body part specific damage). Fallout 3 has neither of these problems, and given that I loved the original games, and like basically everything else that they are carrying over from Oblivion, and have also liked what I've heard about the new stuff, that makes Fallout 3 an absolute must have on my list of games I want to buy.

Now, whether or not it lives up to the hype of varied missions, hilarious dialogue, and improved AI remains to be seen. Every person who's had hands on time with it for preview demonstrations seems to think it's fantastic, so that gives me good hopes.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Unfortunately, I think it's going to play quite similarly to Oblivion. Bethesda never had any intention of going isometric, and with the success Oblivion had, and continues to have, why not? They have the engine, a few tweaks, some updates, and viola! TES V: Fallout.

I don't necessarily blame them, as only the real diehards are going to cry foul, myself included, they'll make a killing and set themselves up nicely for Fallout 4.

And, as we all know, this is made for consoles, and top down RPGs and consoles just don't mix. However, I do wish they would have simply it the bullet and sacked up the way Blizzard did and did a top down RPG specifically for PCs, like Diablo will be. But, the almighty dollar rules the day, and if they did that they'd be missing out on probably 70% of the gaming market.

Fallout fans just have to understand that video games are a business. Just like I gave up on Lucas Arts Adventure games a long time ago, so it goes with the Fallout franchise.