Will New Miles Morales Spider-Man be like inFamous?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So this is pure speculation, based off a teaser trailer that only lasts a minute and a half, but one thing I noticed, that sort of raised my eyebrow, was that the color of his electricity would change depending on the scene. Sometimes it was orangish/red, others it was more blue. And from the comics, a big narrative thread for Miles, was his struggle to be a hero or a villain, with his uncle being the veritable devil on his shoulder. Plus I mean, lightning powers so it instantly makes me think Cole, just from the visuals.

So, do you think they're going to have a morality system in the new Spidey game? Personally I hope not, as I don't really find Going Evil as a fun playstyle, but that's me. But I have to admit that it would be thematically appropriate for the character, given his comic roots.

Thoughts?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I highly doubt there is going to be an good or evil path. And with Spiderverse still high in everyone's mind, they probably going to use that version of Uncle Arron. Instead of the comics version. I'm sure we will get plenty of different style of electric powers.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I highly doubt there is going to be an good or evil path. And with Spiderverse still high in everyone's mind, they probably going to use that version of Uncle Arron. Instead of the comics version. I'm sure we will get plenty of different style of electric powers.
I hope that's the case honestly, I don't really want to see a dual path in the game, but the trailer just screamed inFamous to me, from the visuals and everything. I admit I'm highly biased, as the first 2 inFamous games are some of my favorite games of all time. So I instantly go to that in my head whenever I see a lightning character.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hope that's the case honestly, I don't really want to see a dual path in the game, but the trailer just screamed inFamous to me, from the visuals and everything. I admit I'm highly biased, as the first 2 inFamous games are some of my favorite games of all time.
I think Insomniac Games even admitted they've gone beyond "moral choice" in their games.

So I instantly go to that in my head whenever I see a lightning character.
Speaking of which...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Speaking of which...

Yeah it's a good look, and is probably inspired by the god Shango from various cultures, including Nigeria, and probably some other variations in that region. Shango certainly inspired a lightning Mage I played in World of Darkness for a short time. I basically made Cole McGrath, as far as he abilities and strengths, but he had an African ancestry and theme. I used images of the actor who played Jericho One in Strange Days as his avatar. He was fun.

While I found the tv show Black Lightning to be laughably bad, especially when he was in his suit, I have to admit, in the pilot episode, where he was fighting in a tuxedo/3 piece suit, in a dark dance hall, with the only illumination being the blue arcs of electricity across his body, he looked fucking badass. Then they put that stupid looking suit on him and I just couldn't take him seriously anymore.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While I found the tv show Black Lightning to be laughably bad, especially when he was in his suit, I have to admit, in the pilot episode, where he was fighting in a tuxedo/3 piece suit, in a dark dance hall, with the only illumination being the blue arcs of electricity across his body, he looked fucking badass. Then they put that stupid looking suit on him and I just couldn't take him seriously anymore.
I heard the show was great given the ratings and reception. I have not seen it myself, but I've seen the costume and it looked fine enough for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I heard the show was great given the ratings and reception. I have not seen it myself, but I've seen the costume and it looked fine enough for me.
I didn't like it. I really wanted to, but some of the acting and writing, and direction just made me cringe. Things that irked me about it:

1. The outfit. I just...I can't, something about the lighting of the scenes when he's wearing it, and the colorscheme and everything, it just looks too comical for the rest of the show. Maybe they improved it in later episodes, but for the first run, it looked terrible to me.
2. The direction could be really bad. In one episode, he has saved the day, and the cops are there to clean up the mess, and he's standing on the roof of a nearby building, looking down at them, a classic super hero "surveying the scene" shot. The problem is...he was on like, the roof of a 2nd story building, in an outfit that GLOWS IN THE DARK, and NOBODY sees him?! I mean come on, it was just really bad scene layout. I found myself just laughing uncontrollably like "ok so, nobody in this world has peripheral vision apparently!"
3. There was a character in one of the episodes, who might as well have been named "I'm Going to Die to Motivate the Hero" she was so obviously written. She just blundered through the episode, trying to incite change, while everyone else tried to appeal for calm, and surprise surprise, the badguys killed her at the middle point of the episode, thus galvanizing the hero to actually suit up and take action officially as Black Lightning again. And I don't have a problem with this trope, it's perfectly fine, the way it was so heavy handed and painfully obvious, it just annoyed me. When your script is that transparent, that I don't actually have to watch your show to know all the story beats, I have an issue.

And a bunch of other little things, but overall it just made me dislike the show. Oh, and the music was sometimes REALLY bad. Maybe I just don't like hiphop/rap/R&B (which I generally don't, they're just not my preferred music style), but the music was just cringey to me, especially the title song.

So yeah, wish I could've enjoyed the show, but I didn't.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Isn't this not a full game but just an update/expansion to the spiderman game that came a little while ago? If so I expect it to be similar to that game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Isn't this not a full game but just an update/expansion to the spiderman game that came a little while ago? If so I expect it to be similar to that game.
Given it's on a new console, I suspect it's a new, standalone game, just in that same universe. I mean, I guess they could backwards compatible a new launch title for their new console, requiring you to get a game from a previous platform? But, I dunno that just feels strange to me. It's been 2 years since that game came out, and it will be another year before the Miles one is released, that's plenty of time to be working on a full game, assuming they started working right away. Which I've got no reason to think they didn't do that.

I hope it's a full game, not just a DLC.

As a sidenote, when the PS4 game came out, I was secretly hoping that they pulled the rug out from under us at that one story beat when:

Mr. Negative blew up the rally. I was hoping that they would actually kill off Peter Parker that way, and the rest of the game would be played as Miles Morales. Alas, that was not the case. Maybe they'll do it with this new game, we'll see I guess.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
My conspiracy theory is that the scope of this game was originally much smaller but they've decided to bump it up after recent events and that's why they're being so vague about how much of a sequel it is.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My conspiracy theory is that the scope of this game was originally much smaller but they've decided to bump it up after recent events and that's why they're being so vague about how much of a sequel it is.
Well it's a first reveal teaser trailer, those are by design incredibly short and vague. Don't really need a conspiracy theory for that.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I didn't like it. I really wanted to, but some of the acting and writing, and direction just made me cringe. Things that irked me about it:

1. The outfit. I just...I can't, something about the lighting of the scenes when he's wearing it, and the colorscheme and everything, it just looks too comical for the rest of the show. Maybe they improved it in later episodes, but for the first run, it looked terrible to me.
2. The direction could be really bad. In one episode, he has saved the day, and the cops are there to clean up the mess, and he's standing on the roof of a nearby building, looking down at them, a classic super hero "surveying the scene" shot. The problem is...he was on like, the roof of a 2nd story building, in an outfit that GLOWS IN THE DARK, and NOBODY sees him?! I mean come on, it was just really bad scene layout. I found myself just laughing uncontrollably like "ok so, nobody in this world has peripheral vision apparently!"
3. There was a character in one of the episodes, who might as well have been named "I'm Going to Die to Motivate the Hero" she was so obviously written. She just blundered through the episode, trying to incite change, while everyone else tried to appeal for calm, and surprise surprise, the badguys killed her at the middle point of the episode, thus galvanizing the hero to actually suit up and take action officially as Black Lightning again. And I don't have a problem with this trope, it's perfectly fine, the way it was so heavy handed and painfully obvious, it just annoyed me. When your script is that transparent, that I don't actually have to watch your show to know all the story beats, I have an issue.

And a bunch of other little things, but overall it just made me dislike the show. Oh, and the music was sometimes REALLY bad. Maybe I just don't like hiphop/rap/R&B (which I generally don't, they're just not my preferred music style), but the music was just cringey to me, especially the title song.

So yeah, wish I could've enjoyed the show, but I didn't.
I can get behind most of this. The show also lacks distinct villains, and I'll be honest...I don't think Black Lighting is nearly as good as it thinks it is when it comes to discussing the issues it wants to explore. Racism? Police brutality? Drugs? Sure. Go for it. Interweave that into a superhero show? It fails. And it's not as if you can't imbue politics in superhero media (Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises), but the CW as a whole seems incapable of doing so. Arrow tried to explore gun control, Supergirl tried to explore immigration, and both failed miserably.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can get behind most of this. The show also lacks distinct villains, and I'll be honest...I don't think Black Lighting is nearly as good as it thinks it is when it comes to discussing the issues it wants to explore. Racism? Police brutality? Drugs? Sure. Go for it. Interweave that into a superhero show? It fails. And it's not as if you can't imbue politics in superhero media (Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises), but the CW as a whole seems incapable of doing so. Arrow tried to explore gun control, Supergirl tried to explore immigration, and both failed miserably.
The Marvel Netflix shows handled most of its politics better, except for the first season of Punisher when it came to gun control. It acts like it want to say something, but come up neutral and indicisive wasting everyone's time. That is the main thing I dislike about S1 of Punisher. It's like the show's writers were afraid to take either side and risk pissing NRA/gun nuts or people who want stricter and better gun control.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Marvel Netflix shows handled most of its politics better, except for the first season of Punisher when it came to gun control. It acts like it want to say something, but come up neutral and indicisive wasting everyone's time. That is the main thing I dislike about S1 of Punisher. It's like the show's writers were afraid to take either side and risk pissing NRA/gun nuts or people who want stricter and better gun control.
Getting deja vu here.

What makes Arrow arguably worse is that the gun control episode was in season 5. SEASON FIVE. Five seasons of guns being used by protagonists and antagonists alike, and, what, NOW is when you bring it up? Members of the cast have their discussions, and it ends with Oliver, as mayor, stating "we've developed a bill that'll improve gun control while respecting the rights of law abiding gun owners." Um, okay. Mind telling me what that bill actually entails? And why it apparently did jack shit since Star City remains a crime ridden hellhole?

Didn't think so. :(

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, fuck Punisher. I can't enjoy that show, because I've met way too many veterans who worship punisher like a spirit animal to find vigilante justice stories at all enjoyable. I've seen too many tattoos and truck decals of the punisher skull but it's the american flag, coupled with other tattoos like "kill em all", the american flag but it's stylized to be made out of nothing but bullets, and MAGA hats, and pretty much every other jingoist right wing bullshit, all rolled up into one angry dude with PTSD and combat training to see what the punisher does as "fiction" anymore. I just see the episodes and I'm like "man I hope none of the 10+ dudes I met this week, end up doing this somewhere."

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
There might be multiple endings, maybe. They did mention it was a smaller scale project, and if all the assets are already there just with a bit of extra polish, that should theoretically free up more time for multiple paths. Then again, maybe not. Who knows. Just speculating out my bottom-hole really. I'm interested in seeing a different spider human with their background and family dynamics though, the spiderverse film was a welcome change there. So, like that, but videogames and done good is enough to please.