Will New Miles Morales Spider-Man be like inFamous?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There might be multiple endings, maybe. They did mention it was a smaller scale project, and if all the assets are already there just with a bit of extra polish, that should theoretically free up more time for multiple paths. Then again, maybe not. Who knows. Just speculating out my bottom-hole really. I'm interested in seeing a different spider human with their background and family dynamics though, the spiderverse film was a welcome change there. So, like that, but videogames and done good is enough to please.
I honestly wish they had introduced Miles halfway through Spiderman PS4, as an actual playable character. I've said it before, but when that mid-game event happened
Mr. Negative blows up the rally I thought that might be where they switch it out. And I was SO down for that! What a twist! To suddenly have to start over, mid game, with a new protagonist. That got me SO hyped. But no, they just trolled us. Ah well.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I honestly wish they had introduced Miles halfway through Spiderman PS4, as an actual playable character. I've said it before, but when that mid-game event happened
Mr. Negative blows up the rally I thought that might be where they switch it out. And I was SO down for that! What a twist! To suddenly have to start over, mid game, with a new protagonist. That got me SO hyped. But no, they just trolled us. Ah well.
Yeah, I think I had similar hopes around that point, but perhaps they were "playing it safe" with fan expectations or at least a certain vocal subset of fans. Fans are unwieldy creatures at the best of times. Then there's the possibility of focus test groups, who seem too often picked straight out of idiot school...no idea if this development utilised them, I know some AAA studios do and wouldn't be surprised at all if they tested that sort of narrative with rather negative results.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, I think I had similar hopes around that point, but perhaps they were "playing it safe" with fan expectations or at least a certain vocal subset of fans. Fans are unwieldy creatures at the best of times. Then there's the possibility of focus test groups, who seem too often picked straight out of idiot school...no idea if this development utilised them, I know some AAA studios do and wouldn't be surprised at all if they tested that sort of narrative with rather negative results.
*shrugs* I dunno. I fully suspect they weren't willing to pull that trigger on Peter in the first new title in over what.. a decade? And a massive title for their platform. Too much money was riding on it to risk it. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Still, I would've preferred to see it happen. I mean, it's comic books, it's not like people coming back isn't a regular occurrence, for heroes and villains.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*shrugs* I dunno. I fully suspect they weren't willing to pull that trigger on Peter in the first new title in over what.. a decade? And a massive title for their platform. Too much money was riding on it to risk it. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Still, I would've preferred to see it happen. I mean, it's comic books, it's not like people coming back isn't a regular occurrence, for heroes and villains.
True, they got a pitch-perfect performance out of Parker too, which would make the ole pulling of the trigger feel a bit premature when onto a good thing. I think the devs said somewhere he isn't being killed off yet either. I'm (blindly) guessing incapacitated in some form or another, maybe even kidnapped like a princess!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
True, they got a pitch-perfect performance out of Parker too, which would make the ole pulling of the trigger feel a bit premature when onto a good thing. I think the devs said somewhere he isn't being killed off yet either. I'm (blindly) guessing incapacitated in some form or another, maybe even kidnapped like a princess!
Yeah, my general rule for comic book logic of events is "whatever." They have a canon character that is a nazi made of a swarm of intelligent bees. To me, that sets the bar for "really stupid/insane shit that is permissible" so low, that pretty much anything gets a thumbs up from me. At least on the concept of "is this fitting/realistic for Marvel Universe?" My answer is just "Yes." It still might be dumb, or a bad narrative call sure. But to say something like "Ok that's just too crazy, it breaks my suspension of disbelief" when it's comics....yeah that I can never get behind. In the immortal words of Movie Bob COMICS ARE WEIRD!

So Peter being caught in some temporal bubble, and he's only able to pull a Ben Kenobi to Mile's Luke, by talking to him via brain mentorship, fine. Maybe he's been atomized, and the particles of his Quantum Consciousness embedded in Miles, and he's a literal voice in his head, giving him advice, fine. Maybe he's just critically wounded, and that was just a typical voiceover of a regular conversation, perhaps on Peter's recovery bed, as he holds Miles' hand and passes him the proverbial torch for the game, fine. Maybe Peter gets killed and they clone his consciousness into the tech of the spider suit Miles is wearing, fine. Any and all of those are perfectly legit to me in the insane world of comics. So I don't really care. I never expect anything to actually stick in comic continuity.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, my general rule for comic book logic of events is "whatever." They have a canon character that is a nazi made of a swarm of intelligent bees. To me, that sets the bar for "really stupid/insane shit that is permissible" so low, that pretty much anything gets a thumbs up from me. At least on the concept of "is this fitting/realistic for Marvel Universe?" My answer is just "Yes." It still might be dumb, or a bad narrative call sure. But to say something like "Ok that's just too crazy, it breaks my suspension of disbelief" when it's comics....yeah that I can never get behind. In the immortal words of Movie Bob COMICS ARE WEIRD!

So Peter being caught in some temporal bubble, and he's only able to pull a Ben Kenobi to Mile's Luke, by talking to him via brain mentorship, fine. Maybe he's been atomized, and the particles of his Quantum Consciousness embedded in Miles, and he's a literal voice in his head, giving him advice, fine. Maybe he's just critically wounded, and that was just a typical voiceover of a regular conversation, perhaps on Peter's recovery bed, as he holds Miles' hand and passes him the proverbial torch for the game, fine. Maybe Peter gets killed and they clone his consciousness into the tech of the spider suit Miles is wearing, fine. Any and all of those are perfectly legit to me in the insane world of comics. So I don't really care. I never expect anything to actually stick in comic continuity.
"The words of comic-book plotlines are written in wind and running water" - Misquoted and appropriated Cattulus

Reactions: happyninja42

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...Doubtful? I mean I'm all for internal conflict and moral struggles in story, but while those can be themes within the story, a game for an established superhero like Spiderman is not a great medium for a "you can be good or evil" mechanic. Moreover, considering the lack of such a mechanic in the previous installment, suddenly shifting gears when you get a black protagonist hits some nasty unintended undertones, that would be occurring at perhaps the worst possible time in the last few decades.

...Or possibly, Jameson gets what he always wanted and the police go after Spiderman, ultimately resulting in Peter being detained on suspicion of being the webslinger. Cue Miles holding down the fort while Pete's in lockup (presumably a bit before Miles feels he's ready) and ultimately growing into the role and putting his own spin on it. If nothing else, it'd be funny to see Jameson et al's brains break over the fact that Spiderman's still at large despite them being so sure they'd finally got him.

Last edited:

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
His venom blasts look blue at some point? Is it a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, because the electricity always looks orangey-yellow to me

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
His venom blasts look blue at some point? Is it a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, because the electricity always looks orangey-yellow to me
Yeah, rewatching it, it does stay orange or yellow. Though the fact that it does change colors is a bit odd. Maybe the color denotes different attack actions. *shrugs*

...Doubtful? I mean I'm all for internal conflict and moral struggles in story, but while those can be themes within the story, a game for an established superhero like Spiderman is not a great medium for a "you can be good or evil" mechanic. Moreover, considering the lack of such a mechanic in the previous installment, suddenly shifting gears when you get a black protagonist hits some nasty unintended undertones, that would be occurring at perhaps the worst possible time in the last few decades.
Yeah I agree it would be bad timing, but it was just sort of an impulse reaction I had.

...Or possibly, Jameson gets what he always wanted and the police go after Spiderman, ultimately resulting in Peter being detained on suspicion of being the webslinger. Cue Miles holding down the fort while Pete's in lockup (presumably a bit before Miles feels he's ready) and ultimately growing into the role and putting his own spin on it. If nothing else, it'd be funny to see Jameson et al's brains break over the fact that Spiderman's still at large despite them being so sure they'd finally got him.
I can hear the Jameson podcast moments now. "Jerry!! What the hell is going on! We JUST arrested Spiderman...due to the intrepid and award winning journalism of YOURS TRULY, J JONAH JAMESON!....and not even 24 hours later....THERE'S ANOTHER ONE OUT THERE ON THE STREET!! Is there some FACTORY that just churns these nutjobs out as soon as one is out of comission!!??"

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, rewatching it, it does stay orange or yellow. Though the fact that it does change colors is a bit odd. Maybe the color denotes different attack actions. *shrugs*
Might just depend on surrounding lighting. Or cutscene vs in-game footage. Though since there was a fair bit of customisation in the first game maybe some of that gets applied to Miles' bioelectricity here, colour changes just just relate to strength of blast

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Might just depend on surrounding lighting. Or cutscene vs in-game footage. Though since there was a fair bit of customisation in the first game maybe some of that gets applied to Miles' bioelectricity here, colour changes just just relate to strength of blast
that's possible, i full acknowledge my post question is pure speculation based on an incredibly thin on details trailer. I just thought it would be an interesting direction if they went that way. Not one I personally would enjoy, mostly because I just don't like playing villain characters, so I never really pick the Renegade option/route. But as I said, the idea of him being torn between the Hero/Criminal duality is a part of Miles' story DNA, so it's not like it wouldn't fit. It would be in poor taste at this point in history, but, well I mean something being in poor taste doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Shit is crazy these days so who knows.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I actually liked Second Son, so I'm fine with this comparison.
I liked it too as far as short, asset-cobbled, gimmicky next-gen showcase spin-off launch titles go. At least Miles has actual raison d'être whereas Delsin's story contradicts the all-in ending/s of the other games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I liked it too as far as short, asset-cobbled, gimmicky next-gen showcase spin-off launch titles go. At least Miles has actual raison d'être whereas Delsin's story contradicts the all-in ending/s of the other games.
Yeah I just assumed it was an alternate universe/what if style story, that took the basic premise of the inFamous games, and continued with them, despite it not making much sense with the choice of endings. I don't recall them ever mentioning Cole McGrath and his exploits so I just didn't really worry about it. And again, it's a game inspired and based on comic book logic, and they retcon shit all the time, so it didn't really make me sweat the issue much :D

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Why is Miles named Morales anyway? That's the mother's name right? Dad's Jeff Davis.
Because then he would be Miles Davis, a fairly famous musician, and it would just sound weird. It's already a little strange that a Black guy is named Jefferson Davis, a fairly infamous confederate figure. To have a second famous namedrop, probably suggested lack of creativity. Plus superheros names tend to be named using aliteration where the first and last names start with the same letter, or at least the same sound. Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Miles Morales, and many others.

They also probably thought "Well Miles Morales SOUNDS better, just rolling off the tongue" Or they wanted his name to have some connection with his mother, who is very important to him in the comics. Or a little of all of those.

Plus there is no actual law requiring children to be named after the father, it's just a tradition.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Because then he would be Miles Davis, a fairly famous musician, and it would just sound weird. It's already a little strange that a Black guy is named Jefferson Davis, a fairly infamous confederate figure. To have a second famous namedrop, probably suggested lack of creativity. Plus superheros names tend to be named using aliteration where the first and last names start with the same letter, or at least the same sound. Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Miles Morales, and many others.

They also probably thought "Well Miles Morales SOUNDS better, just rolling off the tongue" Or they wanted his name to have some connection with his mother, who is very important to him in the comics. Or a little of all of those.

Plus there is no actual law requiring children to be named after the father, it's just a tradition.
Why not just name the dad Morales then? Pretty sure he was made up after Miles. Why give him a horribly inappropriate name in the first place? And it's not like it HAD to be Miles either, they could've just given him any name with a D to avoid the Miles Davis thing and keep the alliteration.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Why not just name the dad Morales then? Pretty sure he was made up after Miles. Why give him a horribly inappropriate name in the first place? And it's not like it HAD to be Miles either, they could've just given him any name with a D to avoid the Miles Davis thing and keep the alliteration.
Why is it so important to be named after the dad?

To further speculate, I suspect they wanted him to have a black father, but a hispanic mother, and Morales as a family name is more hispanic in nature than Davis.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Why is it so important to be named after the dad?
Because literally everybody else is.
This is the kind of incoherence that only fans rationalize and always in terms of "No, it makes perfect sense because...". Never in terms of "It's just an oversight" like the other millions in comic books being serialized for 50-60 years by hundreds of contributing hired hands.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Because literally everybody else is.
Actually no literally everybody else isn't. The mother picks the name at birth, and she can use whatever name she wants. Also a person can name themselves whatever they want, including changing their names to distance themselves from a shitty father, something I've seen multiple times at work.

Many cultures have a tradition of using the father's name, but it's not a globally universal thing.

This is the kind of incoherence that only fans rationalize and always in terms of "No, it makes perfect sense because...".
Well you fucking ASKED why, I gave you theories on why they crafted the name that way. If you actually wanted to know, go ask the people who made him.

And if you already have decided that "it's just an oversight", why did you even ask at all? Clearly nothing anyone says is going to convince you otherwise.

Reactions: BrawlMan