Will people ever just say it JUST once for once?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
On that note, I'll be leaving the Escapist for a few days to let this pile of crap get itself cleaned up. All I've seen for the past two days is Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama Osama .... you get the picture. To be honest I just don't care.

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
I particularly like the fact that almost EVERY SINGLE THREAD in both off-topic and religion/politics is about Osama and for extra fun, every thread that isn't about Osama is about the royal wedding. Really, folks? We know about this stuff, there's no need to discuss it 5000 different ways for a week straight.

I'm waiting for the flood of "How should I feel about Osama's death?" threads to hit the advice forum too.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
TestECull said:
Idunno 'bout your network but the tornadoes that ripped through my area a week or so ago were on news networks in fucking Denmark.
Yeah, well Denmark is awesome like that.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Nerdygamer89 said:
I particularly like the fact that almost EVERY SINGLE THREAD in both off-topic and religion/politics is about Osama and for extra fun, every thread that isn't about Osama is about the royal wedding. Really, folks? We know about this stuff, there's no need to discuss it 5000 different ways for a week straight.

I'm waiting for the flood of "How should I feel about Osama's death?" threads to hit the advice forum too.
Yup.... one of these days there'll be only one thread centered around the whole thing which we can spam the boring constant thoughts until it gets boring quickly and realize no-body cares anymore since we were all thinking pretty much the same more or less 'oh good he is dead' doesn't really need to be anymore complicated than that surely?

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Derf Llennod said:
as graveeking states. It's a big and important wedding, the worst man that should of been dead years ago is dead, but in the end, those two are finished. Now let's get back to fixing problems that still need to be fixed....I mean if those two made all debt from all the countries gone and al-quida is disbanded (ooooo, did you really think they are going to stop cuz of 1 man is dead, no matter how big and important he was?), etc. etc., then I would be cheering out the news for all my life because all the problems out there is fixed......but it diddn't, so big woop and back to work, or shut up and play some games.
Well that sure summarized this entire topic in one simple paragraph.
But heck in this day and age we're all lazy bums - we work and play games, that's all - we're not gonna do anything USEFUL now are we? Where's the fun in that?!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I honestly wonder why people are bothered by things like this. If you see the same thing over and over in news stories, pick and choose what you read. If you actually watch news on TV... *slaps your wrist* what the hell is wrong with you?! Read, dammit!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I'm just over news altogether now. Either it's news repeated over and over (Osama), something depressing (natural disasters), or something that really doesn't deserve to be news (the constant wedding reports).

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
This is why I get my news from a select few places. Mostly this site and Daily Show and Colbert report. From things I have read I am more informed than the average person by doing that anyway.

Erana said:
My question is whether or not this event will manage to surpass the Michael Jackson death coverage...
I'm serious. That whole thing lasted for months in the media.
it will not.

Matt225distraction

Apr 11, 2011
'Propaganda is written by the winners. History is written by the observer.'
(Christ I can relate Thief to anything, can't I?)
This is the mindset I try to keep about most news. There are those who see Osama as a martyr, angered by his death. If the news is to be trusted, he was killed by an unspecified U.S. soldier in a Pakistan compound raid, his body identified (like Castro, he had many fakes) and buried at sea.

Good and evil are human opinions. The bacteria has no willpower, no mind, to decide to cause damage to it's host cell. Humans are different, and even those like me are easily swayed by opinion.

Bin Laden was the leading mastermind in the 9/11 incident, and has done things that many find are atrocious, such as teaching 12-year olds how to properly be a suicide bomber. His face became associated with hatred, fear, and terror, as mentioned before. The combined approximated 3,000 deaths in 9/11 and deaths in the following movements in the Middle East (mostly unsuccessful) creates a giant number, each representing either a U.S. civilian, Middle Eastern civilian, U.S. soldier, or Extremist.

And now, according to the news, that face has been put at the ocean floor, a bullet wound within it.

That sense of unity that was felt by many when war was declared on terror has now returned- yet others feel dread, knowing that it has yet to be truly over, the situations of other events growing ever worse... Libya... Japan... Overpopulation... The U.S's incalculable national debt of nonexistent money...

I saw the pictures of American men driving their cars with the flag on the top, shaking their fist in nationalist pride, American people chanting 'U.S.A!' outside the White House gates...

and it sickens me. I should feel nothing against them- they were born and raised in a country built upon it's pride for freedom and democracy (yet it was made on the backs of slaves) and I too once felt the welling joy of being an American. I was a child.

I find I have a far better life in the States than millions of men, women, and children living in slums, or even in homes with no water, or with horrifying diseases- it's just hard to be constantly aware of that.

Sorry for trailing off. I understand- a man who has been long sought out has been killed. NO NEED TO TELL ME AGAIN. I find the biases resulting from the recent terrorism to be quite out of place. Of course not all Muslims support the extremists for being martyrs- Christian people in America bombed an abortion hospital, an act of terror, but does that mean all Christians believe abortion must be stopped with violence?

And I've trailed off once more. I hope your friend is unharmed by the tornadoes- but does a the kid living in Brazil really care, or even heard that much about it? There's a difference between international news and national news. But in America, national news of these terrifyingly powerful tornadoes is overshadowed by the international news of Bin Laden's death, more especially since it was our army that apparently killed him.

For now, wait for people to get over it, the outcome of the tornadoes for your friend, and if it really gets to you, complain again or something (not that I blame you).

Please see reason, everyone. Not that I'm necessarily better.

(P.S. Oh, and, the Royal Wedding? It's bollocks- a more cultural form of a celebrity wedding, nothing more.)