Will Smith in Talks to Play Genie in Aladdin Live-Action Remake

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Funny guy, sure
Not even that. I like him as an actor and he can play a funny guy because he's really good at his job, but from what I've seen of him in some interviews he's pretty obnoxious as a person. An extreme extrovert. Listen to his obnoxious fuckin' laugh. I like the guy but when he starts laughing it makes me want to punch him in the face:
Obnoxious and extroverted? Add the capacity to make impersonations that are out of touch with today's audience, and he seems perfect for the genie...

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Buizel91 said:
Gibbagobba said:
Why? Why does this even need to exist? Who is the brain-dead monkey in charge at Disney that keeps green-lighting these terrible, unnecessary remakes? Are they ashamed of being an animation company or something?
Malifecent, Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book are hardly "Terrible remakes"

It allows them to keep the copyright to that particular property and keeps them relevant. Some of these films haven't been heard from in 20+ years.
I mean, it's really subjective opinion. I didn't mind Maleficent, but it wouldn't call it good.

As for copyright, making remakes doesn't change the length of copyright ownership. That still falls under the "life of author + 70 years" law, which Disney has constantly lobbied to increase. Besides, the originals are still perfectly good. Traditionally animated movies age far better than live-action and CG films.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
TrulyBritish said:
Wintermute said:
Scarim Coral said:
As the epic voice guy said it during the honest Aladdin trailer, that animated film wouldn't be made if it was made in this present time. So yeah the lived action is going to be controversial in one way or another.
I've never seen the original. What's the controversy?
Some people think a film about ancient Arabia wouldn't be made in this "totally-too-PC" world.
I always assumed that the Sultan exclaiming "Praise Allah!" would cause the American Midwest/South to call for a boycott of "Islam-loving Disney."

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Alakaizer said:
TrulyBritish said:
Wintermute said:
Scarim Coral said:
As the epic voice guy said it during the honest Aladdin trailer, that animated film wouldn't be made if it was made in this present time. So yeah the lived action is going to be controversial in one way or another.
I've never seen the original. What's the controversy?
Some people think a film about ancient Arabia wouldn't be made in this "totally-too-PC" world.
I always assumed that the Sultan exclaiming "Praise Allah!" would cause the American Midwest/South to call for a boycott of "Islam-loving Disney."
But what if Disney also made this film with an all-white cast a la [small](hee hee)[/small] Exodus:Gods and Kings? Who's supposed to be offended then?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Gibbagobba said:
Buizel91 said:
Gibbagobba said:
Why? Why does this even need to exist? Who is the brain-dead monkey in charge at Disney that keeps green-lighting these terrible, unnecessary remakes? Are they ashamed of being an animation company or something?
Malifecent, Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book are hardly "Terrible remakes"

It allows them to keep the copyright to that particular property and keeps them relevant. Some of these films haven't been heard from in 20+ years.
I mean, it's really subjective opinion. I didn't mind Maleficent, but it wouldn't call it good.

As for copyright, making remakes doesn't change the length of copyright ownership. That still falls under the "life of author + 70 years" law, which Disney has constantly lobbied to increase. Besides, the originals are still perfectly good. Traditionally animated movies age far better than live-action and CG films.
Oohh no denying that animated films are better than live action, no one is disputing that.

But the live action films disney are churning out are hardly bad