Will The Rock Play Shazam?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Will The Rock Play Shazam?

Has the action star and WWE Legend revealed which DC Comics superhero he'll bring to the big screen?

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has taken an unusual path through action stardom of recent, in spite of his obvious box-office power. Apart from G.I. Joe: Retaliation, he's avoided grabbing up the licensed characters and superheroes that dominate the schedules of other Hollywood tough guys, instead taking up original characters often in supporting roles in existing franchises. But that may be about to change.

In a video interview with TotalFilm, [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI] Johnson plays it coy (but honest) about his long-running and (apparently) complex dealings with Warner Bros over which DC Comics hero he might play; but does tease the impending announcement of a character who has "the power of Superman" and "can throw down" before ending on a grin with "say the word" - which to many fans should feel like an all-but-certain signal that he's talking about the original Captain Marvel, aka Shazam.

Originally created in 1939 by C.C. Beck and Bill Parker for Fawcett Comics, Captain Marvel began as a Superman-like figure differentiated by his unique origin story and secret identity. The "Captain" was actually a 12 year-old orphan named Billy Batson who, following an encounter with an ancient wizard, was granted the ability to transform (physically) into an adult-sized superhero by calling out the wizard's name, "SHAZAM!," an acronym for Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas and Mercury - ancient heroes whose powers and abilities he is imbued with.

In his day, Captain Marvel was the most popular comic-book superhero in the world - even more so than Superman - but ceased to be published in 1954 because of copyright infringement lawsuits from DC Comics and the general lack of interest in superheroes in the decade. With the character no longer in use, Marvel Comics created an unrelated Captain Marvel of their own, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2972-Captains-Courageous] leading to an long-running situation whereby DC Comics (which acquired the defunct Fawcett in the interim) can publish stories featuring the original but cannot use his name in any advertising, covers or promotional material. To help manage this, Billy Batson has referred to his superhero-form as, simply, Shazam as of the 2011 "New 52" DC Universe reboot.

Editor's note: The announcement will come this week during Comic-Con, and The Escapist will have a full compliment on the scene in San Diego. Be sure and keep your eyes locked to our Movies and TV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/] channels for all the news from the convention as soon as it breaks.

Source: TotalFilm [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI]

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Awww, I was still holding out hope that he would be cast as Shadow in American Gods. I mean, I knew it wasn't likely, but now it seems outright impossible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I think Johnson has teased every member of the Justice League, including Wonder Woman, at this point.

Not that I'd complain if he played "Shazam." He's so cartoony he's a perfect fit for a comic book character.

But a black (Well, half-black, half Samoan) Captain Marvel? Is the internet ready for that kind of explosion?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I feel that Shazam will mesh REALLY WELL into the current Justice League line up. Him, Gritty Man of Steel, Sad Batman. It'll be ace.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
The Rock should be Black Adam, not Shazam.

If I was going to cast all the DC characters as actors there's no one else I would have cast.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Weird, I had completely forgotten about the character until I stumbled across a random clip of him in 'Young Justice' today and thought about how fun a character he seems to be.

Also, The Rock... i'm all for this.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
But a black (well, half-black, half Samoan) Captain Marvel? Is the internet ready for that kind of explosion?
I like to hope no one knows or cares enough about Captain Marvel to make a stink about it. Hell, my biggest complaint is he seems too old for the role, not too dark-skinned. Still, he's what happens when a wizard makes lightning; I really don't see why age, melanin level, or any of that stuff should prevent him from filling out a suit and saying things like, "Jeepers!"

EDIT: Hm, I wonder if Icon has a magic word or catchphrase or any of that. Seems really unlikely, not to mention a bit race-baitey, but I guess it's something to look up on Wikipedia.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
I feel that Shazam will mesh REALLY WELL into the current Justice League line up. Him, Gritty Man of Steel, Sad Batman. It'll be ace.
He'll probably be a split personality or a previous life reincarnated as a kid or some bollox.

WaltIsFrozen

Apr 11, 2014
Not to knock The Rock (who's a pretty good actor), this casting feels terrible to me. The tone of Shazam needs to be *just* right and quite frankly, I don't think WB has the chops to pull it off. With Billy Batson in the movie, I could see them going the family-friendly comedy route, which would basically mean The Rock playing a superhero version of his character from The Tooth Fairy. Or they could do what they do with every other movie and do a "grimdark" Shazam movie, which would suck regardless of who they cast.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JimB said:
I like to hope no one knows or cares enough about Captain Marvel to make a stink about it. Hell, my biggest complaint is he seems too old for the role, not too dark-skinned. Still, he's what happens when a wizard makes lightning; I really don't see why age, melanin level, or any of that stuff should prevent him from filling out a suit and saying things like, "Jeepers!"
Probably shouldn't matter in all those other cases, either, though. That's sort of the problem.

I mean, I can see The Rock's age being an issue, but if Not-Matt-Damon can play Batman, I can let it slide.

PunkRex said:
Weird, I had completely forgotten about the character until I stumbled across a random clip of him in 'Young Justice' today and thought about how fun a character he seems to be.
Oh God, I loved him in Young Justice. Buuuuut...

PunkRex said:
He'll probably be a split personality or a previous life reincarnated as a kid or some bollox.
He'll be all dark and gritty. Superman orphaned him in Man of Steel, and now he's angry all the time.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Goodness, I hope not. He'd be better as Black Adam. But then, I thought that ten years ago, too.

Pity they changed the name of the character. At least we'll still have the serial.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
inu-kun said:
Another day, another weird DC casting choice.

I'd say they should make him Guy Gardner.
If he was going to be a Green Lantern, he should be John Stewart, as he says himself in the interview.

If this turns out to be true, I don't think it would be weird at all, honestly. I'd be completely on board with it. Captain Marvel/Shazam is pretty much the most light-hearted, optimistic character there is, and Johnson is a very charming, charismatic guy who'd be really good in that role. Plus, the character's deal is that 10-year-old Billy Batson says the magic word "Shazam!" and turns into Captain Marvel. What 10-year-old boy wouldn't want to turn into The Rock?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JimB said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Superman orphaned him in Man of Steel, and now he's angry all the time.
Stop giving them ideas.
XD

Oh, I'm sure they've come up with worse ones, like....No, I don't want to take any chances. Screw up your own movies, DC! I'm not helping you anymore!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
You make him John Stewart and i will go see that movie...

In marvel world, i would love to see him play as luke cage

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
The Rock always seems like a kid at heart anyway.

+1 for The Rock as Shazam.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
While I'd have my own defenses to why I'd prefer Captain America, Thor, & Iron-Man as white males.... Well I don't have one for Shazam. From what I know Shazam was just a child given super powers. Nothing about that to me yells a specific skin tone or even gender.

Then again I'd get a laugh out of Dwayne Johnson's head CGI'd onto a 12 year olds body.