Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
I didn't take the time to read all four pages so far but it's possible we've had both a homosexual president and an atheist president before (historically debated). Haven't had a female president yet, but I think right now America's finally at the point where we'd accept one, or we're very close to that point.

One thing that makes it difficult to tell whether we've actually had an atheist or homosexual president in the past (or will have one in the future) is that even a candidate which may internally be one or the other will deny it in the public sphere because they don't want to torpedo their own political campaign.

As for whether we'll be having an openly gay or atheist president anytime soon... I doubt it. Religion is still very much a part of most people's upbringings in America and a major part of how they think and how they vote. Not as much as it was in the past, but still much more so than most European nations. As long as that's the case, gay/atheist presidents don't have much of a chance.

Still, progress often happens much faster than we anticipate, so... I'd like to think we'll have fully embraced such things by around 40-50 years from now.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I would say that a female president is the most likely. Gays have got it pretty bad in the US and Atheists have it even worse, being literally the most hated and distrusted minority in the US, so an atheist president would so not happen soon.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
My money's that there'll be a president that's all 3. Unfortunately it's most likely to happen in France.

Personally I think there HAVE been both Atheist and Homosexual presidents, just not ones that were open.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Since G. Bush junior became a president everything is possible in my opinion.
Female president has the biggest chances. Atheist the smallest.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Well, on my own observations and within my own vision... Seeing as the large of the North-American people see abortion (of all things) as it's MAIN ISSUE of its nation today, regardless of the falling economy and other actual serious issues prevalent today...

It's going to take a while. A LOOOONG while.

The mormon president will probably win, and deny women their basic rights over their bodies. Because some people see it as wrong and would rather have the choice of abortion gone entirely, rather than giving the freedom to the people in question to decide for themselves.
This is where I make a tastless joke of how 'The land of the free' is all but an ironic perjury.

I don't live in America and I only gain my knowledge on the situation from the news (which have a tendency to lie, or overshoot the truth) so I could be wrong on the situation. Still, it's how I see things based on my knowledge.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
A female president, then an Atheist president, possibly and independent president within the next 50 years. A homosexual president is too much of a hot topic right now for me to see it at all, then again I'm sure many were equally as shocked when a black president took office.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As mentioned, Australia has a female atheist PM at the moment. She's also unmarried and doesn't have kids, which is something else very unusual, conventional family is generally seen as important and all. And she only replaced Rudd.

Now, it took 8 years of Bush before people could take Obama seriously, and there was a massive amount of racism against him (though, as mentioned, this also worked in his favour). Unfortunately, these things matter, the skin colour of your President isn't the non-issue people pretending to live in a post-racial society say it is.

Anyhoo, I predict that a female polyamorous gay black disabled atheist homosexual could be voted in as PotUS in 4 years. If Santorum gets in.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
While I think a woman may become president in my lifetime (hopefully 60 years). There'd have to be one hell of a change in the USA to elect an Atheist president.

I don't have it to hand, but a survey of Americans asking them to rate people high to low in terms of "trustworthiness" placed Atheists second to last just above Rapists... Yeah. Screw those people.

May 17, 2010
HerrBobo said:
Devil said:
People from the United States of America always seem to think the word "President" only applies to there own leader.

Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

Yes to a female, for sure. In fact, there already has been, in several Nations around the World. My own country, The Republic of Ireland, has already had two female Presidents.
That's a tad misleading. Yes we have had two female presidents, our president being comparable to the queen in that she is symbolic of the state. We have not had two female leaders of the country, in fact we have never had any protestant leader of the country.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Well, the U.S. is supposed to be built on Christian ideals. That likely rules out atheists for a good long while. Not to criticize it too much, but I don't know how they (officially) take homosexuals. I know not everyone dislikes them as a rule, but sometimes I get that feeling.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
yea....I agree with the general consensus.
Female is entirely possible...Give it 5-15 years.
Atheist is also possible, but they'd need flawless results, understanding, communication and logic....
Homosexual? I'm not particularly homophobic...but I reckon it'll never happen. Not it my lifetime anyway.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hasn't there already been an atheist president? I'm pretty sure I read that some of the founding fathers had atheistic beliefs. Or at the very least one who just claimed to be religious as a PR move?

As for a homosexual president? I'm not sure given we'll see one in awhile, mind you I though the same thing about a black president so maybe the general american public is more open minded that I give them credit for.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Female one in the next 10-15 years
Atheist in the next 50-60

Probably wont be a homosexual one in my lifetime.
see i think homosexuality is more accepted in america than athiesm. At least in the way i have been treated out there.

Here in the Uk we have already had a woman prime minister and possibly an athiest one (i dont know the full religous history of my countries rulership).

As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)
We as British people do not speak of the evil that is the milk snatcher...

You should know that by now...

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Regnes said:
Hell, Margaret Thatcher is often considered one of the greatest prime ministers ever.
There are a few good tens of millions who would vehemently contest that until both of you are blue in the face...

Devil said:
A quick little ground rule: Just because someone's religious doesn't mean they're an extremist, and this is coming from an Atheist, so play nice people.
Did, did you just say that? I mean, thank you. It's so nice not being compared to a Westboro Baptist or an Extemist Islamic Militant simply because I live by a Christian faith.

Anyway, I don't think the issue is what alignment (religious or otherwise) the person is, it's to do with how they operate. So I think the US is yet to see a President who hasn't openly confessed some form of "Christianity" to be part of them (though whether that's real or a ploy for votes is another issue) and operated independently for the sake of the people.

Over here in Blighty, David Cameron is a practicing Catholic but the laws and legislation here are very independent of any religion (to the point where it's simply not talked about in a lot of cases). So everyone is attempted to be catered for without playing into or pandering to any one person's religion too much.

Final First

Feb 13, 2012
A female president seems more likely to happen sooner than an Atheist or homosexual one. Quite a bit of the American population don't like Atheists because of the few (no offense intended to all Atheists) dumbass ones that are having a war on all of religion in the world and trying at their hardest to remove all religious symbols even in privately owned areas.

As for homosexual, there seems to be more of a possibility than an Atheist president since there seems to be a lot of toleration of them even by conservatives which are often stereotyped as wanting to burn them alive (yes I'm exaggerating).

For the reasons I said before an Atheist president would probably be the last for the public to vote in among these.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if there has already been a few presidents who don't believe in God.