Windows 10 is Upon Me

Apr 5, 2008
Windows 10 had a negative reception!? From where? I've been using since MS gave it out for free to all Windows 7+ users (IIRC). I think it's significantly better than Win8 or 8.1. They weren't bad per se, but, like Vista, they suffered from being more like transitionary OSes. Vista was a huge departure from XP and got a lot wrong, but did some things okay. 7 fixed the bad parts and made the good parts better. Win 8 however suffered from the Metro/Tiles thing, got rid of the start menu and did so much wrong. 8.1 fixed some of these and wasn't bad overall.

Win10 however (why no 9?) is actually pretty good. First major difference is that it has a smaller footprint and uses less resources than Win7 on the same machine. Win7 and aero used 10% of your RAM out of the box which Win10 gives you back. It boots fast, works fast, supports all the latest technologies and Edge is actually alright (tho I still use Chrome). For gaming, I've had no issues running any games, old or new. Everything I've tried plays fine.

Use it, you'll be fine with it in no time.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
It's still Windows, so there's that. It's an improvement over Win8 and it's better than Win7 in some aspects that you might or might not care about. There are things that will make you foam, but it's really not half bad.

The one thing you must know is that you absolutely need to save often, as Win10 has a bad habit of restarting and updating when you're not watching. You can somewhat influence this for the better when you don't get the cheapest version, but fending off the inevitable becomes a fight against windmills within months, if not weeks.

System settings is once again directly available from a RMB on the "Start" button, but a lot of settings have been moved to the new post-Metro interface, or at least have a duplicate entry there. Some options you might have known and liked and used often might now exclusively be found in the new interface. It's all a bit annoying, but Win10 has been nothing but rock-solid stable for me, and I only gave in to having to move to Win10 less than a year ago.

If you're a privacy-minded person, just make sure to go through all the options collecting your data and sending it to Microsoft. Not that Google and Apple and Facebook and all the others aren't doing it as well, but if you're like me you really don't want big brother Cortana to always be there for you.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've found windows 10 to be great. My best advice though, to get the best out of an install I absolutely recommend not upgrading but rather doing a full clean install. Just trust me that it may be goddamn annoying to restart from scratch on the O/S, but I've worked with both an upgrade install and a fresh install (format drive then install was the best option). The upgrade had a lot of crashes that were random, and at some point some vital files were lost/deleted that prevented the O/S from functioning properly whereas with a fresh install I had a marked increase in boot, performance, game loads and FPS and just overall very little in the way of blue screens/hard locks that weren't caused by me tinkering with overclocking settings.
But then, as a long time Windows user anyway, the general consensus has always been never upgrade, always fresh install.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I've had no issues with Win10 itself. It's been stable so far, does what I want it to do and doesn't annoy me too much.

The biggest problem I've had was having to buy a new wireless network adapter since there were no Win10 compatible drivers for my old one. The Win7 drivers worked, but pretty janky. It was an aging piece of hardware in need of replacement anyway, so overall no biggie.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Win 10 is laid out from an end user perspective similar to a bastard hybrid of win 7 and win 8, you should be fine.

Feel for your IT team having to constantly stroke it to keep the proper drivers in place of the weird ones Win 10 likes to automatically install. But that is not your problem.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
If your company uses mass produced, minimal spec boxes like Dell and HP, be prepared to have to wait an extra 3 seconds every time you click on something.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
bluegate said:
Not so sure about that, I always cut the power to the extension box that my computer is plugged into when I'm done using it and my computer still boots up in what can be described as "moments", even on a normal HDD.

Think Windows 10 might just have a very light boot schedule that excludes superfluous functions such as turning on keyboard lights?
It's definitely some sort of hibernation, because as I said if I shutdown my PC and restart that little keyboard light comes on. Sleep or hibernate on Windows 8.1 and it stays off.

Shutdown with Windows 10 and boot again and the LED remains off. Windows 10 isn't fully powering down or the keyboard would recognise that.

If what you say is true then I'm guessing, as above, it's some form of the Hibernate function, as that data persists even when a PC loses power.

A question to other posters however. Just how is Windows 10 better than 8.1? DirectX 12 I'll give you but is it the more fractured UI or Microsoft trying to take control of updates away from you that impresses so much?

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
My favorite part of Windows 10 is playing whack-a-mole trying to keep telemetry off :p

Odeyevich

Sep 26, 2017
I have my own grudge against Windows 10, I had to reinstall it because of a buggy Creators update which totally broke my OS, and it cost me my DRM-locked media, plus many personal files. Outrageous!