Windows 11 is out!

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I have a laptop that came with windows 11 installed, and a desktop computer that is still running 10. I honestly prefer 10. Visually it looks nicer, and functionally it's more intuitive.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've been using 11 on my laptop for a while now, and it's fine, I guess, now that I've put everything the way I like it. Still don't know why they decided to simplify the right click context menu and hide all the actually useful functions behind a button combo tho. No matter, quick registry edit and that shit was fixed.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
I have a laptop that came with windows 11 installed, and a desktop computer that is still running 10. I honestly prefer 10. Visually it looks nicer, and functionally it's more intuitive.
Same here, actually, the laptop came with 11 and the old buddy desktop running 10. And I also prefer 10 honestly. I mean, you can work around these things and set it up the way it works for you, but still.

Reactions: Florime

Florime

Sep 22, 2021
Country
USA
Same here, actually, the laptop came with 11 and the old buddy desktop running 10. And I also prefer 10 honestly. I mean, you can work around these things and set it up the way it works for you, but still.
I still can't understand why Windows 11 is better than 10 in terms of performance in games and editing, for example. There is no increase in productivity in Windows 11. On the contrary, some software works unstable on Windows 11.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ugh, they removed the ability to drag and drop files via the address bar. Was pretty convenient to move files out of subfolders.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Ah, things like this just keep coming from Microsoft. This morning i was reading the tech-news (Have to keep up to date for the job). For example this here:

TLDR: The "new and improved Outlook" gathers your login and password for any connections (Not-MS-account/Exchange/Online relevant) and just straight up sends it to Microsoft.
Weird shit... They would gather logins for private emailservers that way.

I am really getting grumblier and more irate with MS every month (I am technically a Windows-Admin) but i feel i couldn't ever switch up to the new versions, after the old generation runs out of support. (Mostly Windows 10 with Windows Server 2016 at my job). We already had enough weird shit with Win10, but i miss the days we could just... you know install software and have it run.

It's not just MS of course. Lot of creepy, greedy, unneccesary complicated shit. (Looking at you, Sophos Central)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ah, things like this just keep coming from Microsoft.

TLDR: The "new and improved Outlook" gathers your login and password for any connections (Not-MS-account/Exchange/Online relevant) and just straight up sends it to Microsoft.
Weird shit... They would gather logins for private emailservers that way.

I am really getting grumblier and more irate with MS every month (I am technically a Windows-Admin) but i feel i couldn't ever switch up to the new versions, after the old generation runs out of support. (Mostly Windows 10 with Windows Server 2016 at my job). We already had enough weird shit with Win10, but i miss the days we could just... you know install software and have it run.

It's not just MS of course. Lot of creepy, greedy, unneccesary complicated shit. (Looking at you, Sophos Central)
It really amazes me what kind of stuff Microsoft has been doing to their OS lately. I don't blame people switching to Linux in droves like they have, cause good lord

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Is Phone Link on Win 10? Cuz 11 has it. Very convenient. But, it doesn't filter out hacking texts from the Philippines. I couldn't even delete them. Only a matter of time until I would have accidentally clicked on something bad so I had to disable it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
To those who want to use Linux. LOL

If you visit the forum page for the popular Linux Journal, dedicated to the open-source operating system Linux, you could be fingerprinted regardless of where you live because the XKeystore source code designates the Linux Journal as an “extremist forum.” Searching for the Tails, operating system, another Windows alternative popular among human rights watchers, will also land you on the deep-packet inspectee list.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If you visit the forum page for the popular Linux Journal, dedicated to the open-source operating system Linux, you could be fingerprinted regardless of where you live because the XKeystore source code designates the Linux Journal as an “extremist forum.” Searching for the Tails, operating system, another Windows alternative popular among human rights watchers, will also land you on the deep-packet inspectee list.
You pretty much have to realize that there is just no ability to be totally private and no matter what you do, your data is being collected by someone. You can take steps to make it more annoying and less accurate, but unless you disconnect and only use cash, you're being tracked by someone.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
You pretty much have to realize that there is just no ability to be totally private and no matter what you do, your data is being collected by someone. You can take steps to make it more annoying and less accurate, but unless you disconnect and only use cash, you're being tracked by someone.
But to be put on an extremest list for wanting to use Linux...?