Windows 11 is out!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But to be put on an extremest list for wanting to use Linux...?
One hopes that that gives you 5 extremist points or something, and when you hit 100 they look at you. Cause otherwise they'd be swamped with useless information.

I mean, I suspect they are anyway, but still.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
But to be put on an extremest list for wanting to use Linux...?
Its more likely that some algorithm found that tracked targets tended to go there and just automatically added it to a list.

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
What I did was install Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to make it look like Win 7.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Especially as I have an OLED monitor that is susceptible to screen burn in, I want to auto hide my task bar. Every time I power up my PC, I need to make this selection again. Not deadly as I typically just put my PC to sleep. Now that I know it is doing this, takes 30 sec. to correct but it is aggravating.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Better Microsoft than these cheapskate price-gorgers.

Apple is stingy and over-priced for their upgrades, absolutely. But when the hell did 128GB become not enough for a typical user? "Apps bloating to 10GB" that article says... The fuck kind of apps are people putting on there that are that big? Unless they're games that's more than a little misleading if you ask me. I'd be happy to be proven wrong however

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Apple is stingy and over-priced for their upgrades, absolutely. But when the hell did 128GB become not enough for a typical user? "Apps bloating to 10GB" that article says... The fuck kind of apps are people putting on there that are that big? Unless they're games that's more than a little misleading if you ask me. I'd be happy to be proven wrong however
Photos, and videos. Plus like Genshin Impact itself is 46gbs. Honkai: Star Rail is 18.52.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Photos, and videos. Plus like Genshin Impact itself is 46gbs. Honkai: Star Rail is 18.52.
Which are both games, the thing I mentioned specifically due to the fact they are, in all likelihood, big. Otherwise, I have yet to see a regular app that size, and I'd be surprised to see one

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
To prove all much I hate Windows 11 vs 10.

1712362901102.png

1712362931706.png

Even the fucking IT people are like it doesn't matter. Windows 11 was a waste of time, and money. Microsoft should have just updated Windows 10.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

View attachment 10993

Do not update. Don't be like me. Don't update!!!
Never update unless something doesn't work. An update can really only break your working computer as your computer was working fine before the update so it will most likely continue working fine or there's a chance it the update will break something. Why take the chance? All of my devices are set to never update and my PCs haven't gotten anything since the Blaster worm over 20 years ago. Hell, my 75" "smart" TV isn't even connected to the internet, can't get ads if you're not connected to the internet.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Never update unless something doesn't work. An update can really only break your working computer as your computer was working fine before the update so it will most likely continue working fine or there's a chance it the update will break something. Why take the chance? All of my devices are set to never update and my PCs haven't gotten anything since the Blaster worm over 20 years ago. Hell, my 75" "smart" TV isn't even connected to the internet, can't get ads if you're not connected to the internet.
The problem with never updating is that eventually new software just won't support the old stuff. Not to mention if you don't do security updates you are vulnerable to hacking and back doors that are found in the software. Viruses are the least of your worries when using outdated software.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The problem with never updating is that eventually new software just won't support the old stuff. Not to mention if you don't do security updates you are vulnerable to hacking and back doors that are found in the software. Viruses are the least of your worries when using outdated software.
Then you update when something doesn't work like new software you want to run. The vast vast vast majority of all hacking against home users is some kind of phishing / social engineering attempt. Something like Ublock Origin is a far better tool to stop hackers than updating Windows or having Windows Defender running (I got that garbage disabled, it's so annoying at work let alone at home) because it might actually stop you from going to some fake bank or Amazon site with a bad link. Really keeping your browser up to date is more important than your OS because the browser is how you actually check your bank accounts and whatnot. Going to bad sites is how people get hacked, an OS security update isn't gonna matter.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Then you update when something doesn't work like new software you want to run. The vast vast vast majority of all hacking against home users is some kind of phishing / social engineering attempt. Something like Ublock Origin is a far better tool to stop hackers than updating Windows or having Windows Defender running (I got that garbage disabled, it's so annoying at work let alone at home) because it might actually stop you from going to some fake bank or Amazon site with a bad link. Really keeping your browser up to date is more important than your OS because the browser is how you actually check your bank accounts and whatnot. Going to bad sites is how people get hacked, an OS security update isn't gonna matter.
I see someone is completely unaware of what a backdoor is. So, you have fun with that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well...yes. But until it's outdated, I try to avoid updating. There will come a time when updating to the next windows will be needed, but it's not yet.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well...yes. But until it's outdated, I try to avoid updating. There will come a time when updating to the next windows will be needed, but it's not yet.
I'm just talking software and security updates. I'm going to avoid 11 as long as I can, I really do not like what MS is doing with it. Might move to linux... maybe.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I see someone is completely unaware of what a backdoor is. So, you have fun with that.
I work IT... I know what a backdoor is. What info are you gonna get from me (or normal home user) with a backdoor? Even if you get a keylogger in through a back door, you can't even get into my bank account because multi-factor authorization. Hackers are looking to exploit vulnerabilities and back doors when trying to get into company resources, but home users very very very very rarely. The reason people get hacked is from phishing / social engineering and also using the same password for a site login that's the same as your email login. If xyz.com gets hacked and they find your login info (usually email) and your password, then that password is the same as your password for your email address, they can have a field day with that. You have to have tiers of passwords (super important stuff like banking, then email passwords have to be really secure, then like shopping sites that have attached cards/accounts to them, then stuff like Reddit or Escapist) and they can't overlap like a Venn diagram because you can't have say the Escapist getting hacked and then someone knowing your email password basically.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I work IT... I know what a backdoor is. What info are you gonna get from me (or normal home user) with a backdoor? Even if you get a keylogger in through a back door, you can't even get into my bank account because multi-factor authorization. Hackers are looking to exploit vulnerabilities and back doors when trying to get into company resources, but home users very very very very rarely. The reason people get hacked is from phishing / social engineering and also using the same password for a site login that's the same as your email login. If xyz.com gets hacked and they find your login info (usually email) and your password, then that password is the same as your password for your email address, they can have a field day with that. You have to have tiers of passwords (super important stuff like banking, then email passwords have to be really secure, then like shopping sites that have attached cards/accounts to them, then stuff like Reddit or Escapist) and they can't overlap like a Venn diagram because you can't have say the Escapist getting hacked and then someone knowing your email password basically.
If you are in IT then you need to update your security knowledge because you are like 5 years out of date.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
If you are in IT then you need to update your security knowledge because you are like 5 years out of date.
It is updated, security patches used to be important when Windows was a lot younger and you could just get shit (like the Blaster worm) from being online. Nowadays that's not really a thing anymore, nor are viruses really an issue. Nor do people really get tons of spyware slowing down their machines anymore. It's all moved to the social engineering aspect mainly. I find it pretty funny that security companies are now trying to get people to buy stuff to secure their phones, regardless of Android or iOS, it's linux basically, you ain't going to get shit unless you sideload something onto your phone. One of the first things I do on a new phone is disable whatever security shit is on the phone because it's pointless. All my friends that have gotten hacked have been via phishing / social engineering or using email passwords for other sites. A few months ago a friend was paranoid that there was spyware or something on her computer and I'm like just run Malwarebytes and it probably won't find anything because you either clicked a linked that you weren't supposed to (and entered in login info) or you reused your email password. They sent her a message saying they can do all this shit and played it off like ransomware and wanted her to pay money to restore everything. All they did was get into few accounts like Facebook and disabled them and nothing that was actual hacking or anything. She did have to make a new Facebook account but there was no ransonware or anything.

And the easiest thing to get rid of a virus if you were to get one; just imaged your C drive when you have everything installed and setup like you want it. Then, if you actually get a virus, just restore that image. It's faster than running a virus scan and shit. Then, if you have an image like that and update and the update breaks something (or you update to Win11 and don't like it), just restore that Win10 image and you're up and running in like 5 minutes.

Last edited: