Windows 8 Hits 100 Million Sales

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
Considering that actual PC and Windows tablet sales have supposedly been pretty dismal, does anyone else find this a bit peculiar?
Oh yeah! I'm sensing some rather heavily massaged numbers in there somewhere. I suspect that the truth is 100 Million Windows 8 PC's have been built and delivered into the channel. But the actual number sold through to end users is substantially lower. A better gauge to how well the product is selling would be how many of those licenses sold were actually registered?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I've been using Windows 8 for a while now since I got my new laptop and I have to say, while I initially hated it, I've since become indifferent.

While I don't like the new start menu at all, that's the only real complaint I have. I feel the new start menu actually slows you down, where it used to be much quicker/easier to get to things you wanted to.

As far as video game compatibility goes, the only real problems I've had are with Telltale games. For some reason Telltale's games won't launch on Windows 8 if you have a controller plugged in, which is frustrating but nothing major.

EDIT

I still don't see much of a point in upgrading from 7 to 8 if you have the choice though. It's basically a slightly improved version of 7 but not nearly as user friendly.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
cidbahamut said:
IT professional checking in here. Windows 8 is perfectly fine from an optimization standpoint, but in terms of usability, it's a pile of shit. We regularly joke about it in the office. We're not putting that rubbish on any of the PCs we manage, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests.
That's where Microsoft miscalculated , window 8 is not built for enterprise use which has been their biggest source of income.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Any laptop I buy with Windows I replace with Linux, but I still count towards the Windows numbers.

A lot of people genuinely don't like Windows 8. Yes, there are people hating it for hating sake, like everything, but there are some legitimate reasons for why a lot of people think it's so awful.

I've used Windows 8 myself and it's much faster and performs better. It has much better use of resources than previous Windows. Problem is, the UI totally kills the experience. It's so unintuitive. It sends you straight to the "Metro" and not the desktop, you have to physically look for the desktop "app". Then you have to set it to default to the desktop, which you shouldn't have to do. Not to mention the side bars for settings is absolutely obnoxious.

I work electronics retail, we have several computers out with Windows 8 on them and a single laptop on display that I installed Ubuntu Linux on. Customers are always complaining about how Windows 8 is confusing and they don't know how to do anything, but then say that the Ubuntu computer is much easier to use.

You can go on about how much better an OS Windows 8 is from a technical stand point, but fact of the matter is that the average user will think it's bad simply because it's UI is confusing and cumbersome.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Jaeger_CDN said:
cidbahamut said:
IT professional checking in here. Windows 8 is perfectly fine from an optimization standpoint, but in terms of usability, it's a pile of shit. We regularly joke about it in the office. We're not putting that rubbish on any of the PCs we manage, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests.
That's where Microsoft miscalculated , window 8 is not built for enterprise use which has been their biggest source of income.
I'd argue it's not particularly well constructed for home use either, but in an enterprise environment? That thing was dead on arrival.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Stating that windows 8 is popular based on copies sold is liek stating that Wii Sports is the msot popular game in the world becasue it has most copies sold.
The reality is both of those come as bundles and i know for a fact majority of win8 prebuilt pcs gets win 8 thrown out and win 7 installed the day they are bought. it is illegla in my country to buy a PC without a OS, and MS does not allow selling with anything but 8, so there, a overnment run business for Microsoft.

SpAc3man said:
Ha! While everyone was busy complaining like little bitches who are afraid of new things I actually figured out how to use Windows 8 on my desktop just like Microsoft intended.
How about they let me use my desktop how I intended isntead? why must i bow to what Microsoft like when i can do whatever i want and set it up the way i want on an older version of their product?

SpAc3man said:
Well not if whoever set up the PCs did their job properly and made everyone's programs visible on the start screen in an organised and properly grouped fashion. It's rather like setting up Windows 7 or Windows XP to have all the correct programs under the start menu in a properly organised way.
Windows 8 is not possible to set up properly for it is flowed from the very roots.

Elithraradril said:
Seriously the amount of bs I'm reading, about how bad this system is, is just ridiculous. Sure, the start screen is still far from being perfect, but the OS itself is fast, stable and simply better than any of the MS OS was less than 1 year after it's release.
The only BS here is people who think that Win 8 can be called good.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its funny to me, I do not watch commercials often. However I have noticed several Microsoft ones advertising 8.

How are they advertising 8? Pretty much the exact same way they tried to push Vista off on people. By telling you "No, really, this is good. Dont listen to every credible source, friends, family etc who will tell you how awful, counter intuitive, pointlessly cumbersome, restrictive and watered down Windows 8 is, see we have people who are absolutely WOWed by its awesomenessez."

I honestly do not believe for a moment MS has sold 100 million copies of win8, even including those OEM installed on prefabs. Well unless Bill Gates bought 50 million and has been using the discs for skeet shooting or toilet paper.

But, Meh, its moot. Even if it is by some miracle actually true, it really does not matter. The OS is awful. It is pointless. It does nothing positive for the user, Only pushes unwanted garbage on them. So if it is actually as popular as Win 7, I guess you cant be surprised. The world is chocked full of stupid people. There will always be more of them than there are of us.

But hey, on the bright side, Windows 8 does do one thing absolutely flawlessly. It acts as an incentive for people to migrate to Linux.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
I'm reading this on a laptop I bought with Windows 8. Of course I had to upgrade to 7 the day I got it so I could actually be productive. I doubt Microsoft is going to count that in the numbers.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
I think every single one of the detractors in this thread hasn't actually used it and is going "WIN7 GOOD, WIN 8 BAAD" by default.
Because anyone that doesn't agree with you doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'll admit that was my first reaction to the OS; It looks like shit. But, my father buys 8 licenses every time a new Windows comes out anyway, so we'd already given them sales. Installed 8 to give it a go, a week later uninstalled it. Thank god I was on a new PC at that point. Dad said it really wasn't that bad, and it just took some getting used to. A month later he uninstalled it and re-installed Windows 7, and said he hated it. The only person in my family, friends, anywhere that actually likes the OS is my sister, who uses her laptop for Facebook and nothing else, and she likes it because it looks pretty.

Seriously, you like Windows 8? Great, good for you. Majority of people have a problem with it, and its not that they haven't tried it. Its that they have, and it doesn't work for their needs. At all. I hope to hell Microsoft learns for Windows 9 and gets rid of Metro. The split between what is handled through Metro and through the desktop is one of the more annoying things, as is the fullscreen start menu idea of Metro. Why the fuck would I want a fullscreen start menu. I have the desktop. The start menu exists to be a small, unobtrusive menu with a few applications that are very commonly used there, not something that blocks out everything else I'm doing and fills the screen with a desktop with massive items with a different visual style to what I like having my desktop set up as. I'm really not seeing the point.

zzkill

Nov 12, 2012
Hey, it's a good OS as performance goes, no objection there, it runs good, except for some dodgy drivers for a shitty mobo (I'm looking at you ECS, you pile of shit, my aunt made my days a sample of hell because of you). They did a good job with how it demands resources and now it accepts SSDs and the defragmenter sends TRIM commands to SSDs and defrags HDDs, good job. But hell if I like the interface. I don't like how the colours are uniformed and the corners are edged, and I don't even use the GUI, the desktop is fine. Oh wait, I do use the GUI, I press the Desktop tile. Sheesh, am I blind or something? Doesn't the desktop do the same thing as the wonderful GUI? What programs you use you put on the desktop. You want updating weather reports there? Use a gadget, that's why it's there, and I like them.

Long story short, W8 is good performance-wise, but I like the gloss and shine of W7, the rounded corners, the transparency of the bars and the gadgets, and my eye pleasure is more important than 2 more fps in games and a few seconds less when I boot. Enjoy your sales MicroS, I'll only use it on my tablet.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Blargh McBlargh said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 100mil licenses sold doesn't necessarily mean that 100mil people are actually using it, no? It just means a lot of companies have ordered it in bulk?
I doubt vary many companies ordered it in bulk, generally they get a specialized license that enables multiple simultaneous installs off the single purchase.

Besides as a business OS Windows 8 couldn't fail any harder even if it tried.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Oh Win8 is terrible the lighter faster loading OS is just so unappealing right? It's so different with the metro bar being accessed in the same spot as the old task bar whine whine whine.

All the nay sayers may want to be reminded that Win8 was also sold for 15 bucks at launch if you had bought a PC and wanted to upgrade for like a year you got it for dirt cheap, not just PCs coming with it they also had a insane deal.

WIN8 isn't shit it's the exact same OS with a different looking taskbar, something that has changed many times and wasn't even part of Windows from the beginning. And it's pretty easy to tell who hasn't even used WIN8 when their complaints are just wrong, can't organize the task bar? Why ..yes, yes you can, and make your own groups, and select sizes, and search just by typing. Can't find the task bar? Same spot, or just hit the windows key that's on every keyboard.

I don't get the whining, I was really put off from all the negative reviews but it's the same OS with a different coat of paint.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Yes sales to shops and computer makers

But sales to actual people?

Windows sold those licenses and now it is up to the shops and companies to sell them.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Despite its detractors, the number of licenses sold for Windows 8 are comparable to those for Windows 7.
You know, I'm sure this has been said elsewhere but do the sales take into account

1- pre-installed computers for those with little to no understanding of IT
2- companies that are strongly dependent on Windows for business
3- schools that have contracts with MS to provide Windows laptops for students

I absolutely dislike figures that do not distinguish between those who buy it because they really want it and those who have no choice. Windows 8 is for touch screens but because MS is late to the party, they're ramping up a large campaign to make it look successful.

Yuck.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Strazdas said:
SpAc3man said:
How about they let me use my desktop how I intended isntead? why must i bow to what Microsoft like when i can do whatever i want and set it up the way i want on an older version of their product?
There is nothing stopping you from setting up Windows 8 the way you want. In fact it is designed to be personalised to your needs. The desktop doesn't operate any differently to how it used to. In fact it does everything it used to but better. Just like Microsoft intended.

SpAc3man said:
Windows 8 is not possible to set up properly for it is flowed from the very roots.
Everything you have said just shows that you actually do not have a clue what you are talking about. The "roots" or kernel of Windows 8 is actually very stable. Windows 8 has an insane amount of built in support for hardware. It has numerous improvements for power users such as ISO support, a much improved task manager, the power user menu, an excellent multiboot system, a vastly improved search function, an improved file explorer and quite clearly an excellent replacement to the aged and disorganised start menu that is much easier to use and organise to the user's preference.

Please elaborate on your grossly misguided statements. I am having trouble seeing any examples backing up your rather vague criticism.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Been using Windows 8 for a month now and as long as I pretend the whole start screen doesn't exist I'm actually liking it a lot better than Windows 7. It's not like you actually need to use the start screen, the desktop fulfills the exact same purpose anyway.

Most of the game seems to come from the fact that it's the newest Microsoft OS. Those are always hated.

As several have mentioned already, performance-wise it's actually better than Win7.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Hagi said:
Most of the game seems to come from the fact that it's the newest Microsoft OS. Those are always hated.

As several have mentioned already, performance-wise it's actually better than Win7.
Performance wise yes it works well but if it looks and acts like crap, it's still a crap OS. The whole point of a GUI is to make the experience of using it easier. What Microsoft did was take 23 years of user experience and toss it down the drain just because it peeked over the fence at Apple and wanted to copy them. Hell even Apple is in trouble because they are losing market share left and right to Android driven products in both tablets and phones.