Wireless keyboards and mice - Do you use them?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I used a wireless Logitech mouse for years without any issues, and I'm using a wireless keyboard to type this right now. If there had been a wireless version of my current mouse I would have snapped it up instead.

Wires are annoying, and increasingly unnecessary.
Hoplon said:
I like the idea of wireless, cleaner desk and all that, but the reality is that you either end up with more wires for the recharge station etc or are spending a crap load on batteries.

They really aren't solving the problem they are supposed too.
Rechargeable batteries. Problem solved.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Olas said:
I used a wireless Logitech mouse for years without any issues, and I'm using a wireless keyboard to type this right now. If there had been a wireless version of my current mouse I would have snapped it up instead.

Hoplon said:
I like the idea of wireless, cleaner desk and all that, but the reality is that you either end up with more wires for the recharge station etc or are spending a crap load on batteries.

because I didn't mention them at all... oh no wait I did.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
My wife and best friend both use wireless sets and they seem to have lag and and sudden loss of power a lot. I get no lag or power loss with my wired set.

The wires don't bother me any and I have no other problems. Can't say i see the draw outside of using a laptop to be honest.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I've used wireless mice and keyboards since the 90s. I can be much more flexible in the positioning of the case (it's actually behind me right now, a good six foot from the monitor) and I've never looked at my desk and thought, man, this thing sure needs more wires on it.

I am glad I got a rechargeable mouse last time I bought a new one. A keyboard can go for years on a set of AAs, but mice use more juice.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Nab. I go USB. USB is a standard that doesn't require batteries or signal strength. Most efficient system.
Yup, wireless causes latency and I just know I'd either forget recharging them or forget to buy new batteries.

I hate all these wires, sure, but until latency is solved and wireless recharging becomes ubiquitous I won't buy wireless PC peripherals

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Hoplon said:
Olas said:

Hoplon said:

You said recharge stations, I'm talking about rechargeable AA or AAA batteries that you can use with any battery powered device. You charge them at a dock plugged into your AC socket {no wires} and when they run out you just swap them out with another set. I've been using the same ones for like 8 years. They're more expensive up front, but you save a lot of money in the long run.

Anyway, recharge stations aren't so bad either, they're definitely a step up from a device that's plugged in while you use it, and if you're clever you can even find ways to hide the wires.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I have a Logitech Performance MX and a Microsoft BT6000 wireless on this computer, no issues to speak of.

The gaming machine is all wired all the time however, wireless suffers a bit under high load usage like First Person Shooters. I don't want to be charging stuff all the time and losing a connection for even half a second becomes extremely noticeable compared to in general use where the PC just catches up without my noticing most of the time.

Antari said:
You definitely need to take a closer look at Logitech. Even the worst mouse they have ever had is better than the best mouse Fujitsu ever put their name on.
Just to be 'that guy,' Fujitsu mice are made by Logitech, I have a couple.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Got a mechanical wired keyboard and a wireless mouse with a 1000 mhz polling rate so any difference in speed between the two is probably overwritten by the time it take my synapse to shoot.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Olas said:
Hoplon said:
Olas said:

Hoplon said:

You said recharge stations, I'm talking about rechargeable AA or AAA batteries that you can use with any battery powered device. You charge them at a dock plugged into your AC socket {no wires} and when they run out you just swap them out with another set. I've been using the same ones for like 8 years. They're more expensive up front, but you save a lot of money in the long run.

Anyway, recharge stations aren't so bad either, they're definitely a step up from a device that's plugged in while you use it, and if you're clever you can even find ways to hide the wires.
Oh god... yes I know what rechargeable batteries are, still need a recharging station, still takes up space.

And hide the cables? why didn't I think of that! I'd been just strewing cables everywhere!

Do you have any more statements of the obvious? My point always was there isn't less infrastructure with cabled or wireless, and cabled is both cheaper and more reliable so unless you really need it (people using it with the TV from the sofa etc) it doesn't carry any significant advantages.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I can't afford the risk of a mouse or keyboard running out of batteries while I'm doing something, more so if I can't find any to replace them.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Nope, and probably never will. I love wires; I know that they're working, and they're reliable and I can troubleshoot easily with them. I used a wireless mouse once and it decided to stop working at a bad time. I don't want to sit 20 metres away from my screen, so I don't really see the point.

Sidenote: I also still buy wired XBox controllers; the wireless ones are trash. The PS3 has a decent system to it, if only the charger wires were longer. I have several USB extender wires handy though, so that's okay.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Wired all the way. I don't want to have to change batteries or troubleshoot a spotty signal while I'm in a raid.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Wired all the way. Haven't used wireless mice since my CS 1.6 days. Running out of battery mid-game even once warrants trashing the piece of shit. Wireless mice are heavier, more expensive, and less reliable, and they have a lot more input lag.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Oh boy, I can't wait to use battery-powered mouse and keyboard when they're literally never more than 2 feet away from a powered USB port!

They're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Big fan of wireless things in general, saves a lot of moving hassle, especially if they need to be cleaned.

I've got a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, both of which are pretty good. The keyboard more so than the mouse though. I'm on my second mouse and the current one is getting a bit flaky.

Don't suppose any have suggestions for new ones?

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I like wireless mice. I did have a wired mouse but that broke and I decided to try wireless mice. My first wireless broke within two weeks because I dropped like an idiot. Currently on my second a Tecknet one. I like wireless mice no worries of wires and much easier to carry.

I have no answer for your second question at this moment.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Wireless keyboard? No. (Why?)

Wireless mouse? Absolutely. It saves so much hassle, because my desk is cramped, and being left-handed makes where the wires would otherwise have to run extra annoying.

I've never had much problem with it, except when the batteries are low. But, the batteries last for months, and they are standard AA's, so easily replaced. (I use NIMH rechargable AA's, if you're wondering)

The glitchiness at low battery is basically only if the thing is about to die anyway.

There can also be minor glitching if the computer locks up momentarily, but that's nothing special.

I've had the same one for about... Ooh. 5, 6 or more years without a single real problem?
It's not the cheapest, but not super-expensive either. (It's a logitech MX-8 wireless laser mouse, I believe. Chosen as much for being symmetrical as anything else. - You know, me being left-handed and all. XD)

I can't say I've ever found it much of an issue honestly.
It works as well as any wired mouse I've ever owned.
What more can I ask for?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I've had a ?20 Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse combo for something like 5 years now. The mouse started to have issues just over a year ago and I replaced it with another Mouse (Logitech). The Keyboard only has a reliable range of about 5 feet (which is more then enough for a keyboard), but the receiver is on a long lead that I can mount on various spots for better signal. The new mouse seems to have a reliable range of 8 or 9 feet and that's with just a small USB receiver.

Only ever have issues with the Keyboard when something sits between it and the receiver, so I just keep line of sight clear.

Keyboard only needs to change batteries once every 2 months (and I use this thing ALL the time) and I use rechargeable ones at that (2 pairs which I cycle between when one dies and needs charging). The Mouse is a little more of a battery hog needing a change once every month or so (again I use it ALL the time).

They suit my needs admirably and are far less of a clutter problem then a wired keyboard and mouse.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I went through at least 4 wired mice in 3 years since their wires or buttons broke, then i went for a wireless A4tech mouse and that thing lasted for at least 4 years without any issues, it didn't lag, had a great battery life using the same 8 rechargeable AA batteries and it still works perfectly fine, but i exchanged it for a fancy wired steelseries mouse since it got worn out and didn't look all that great next to my new PC. No issues with my new wired mouse so far.

Never had a wireless keyboard and i don't plan on buying one. I can't think of a situation where i would want to move it anywhere from my PC.

I love my wireless 360 controller, i can play witcher 3 while laying on my bed and don't have to worry about tangling up in wires or the length of the wire and theres no lags even when the battery is low, but sometimes it forgets to warn me before it dies and more often than not i end up beaten half to death in the game.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I mainly use a laptop, which negates the need for a wireless keyboard, I do however, use a Microsoft wireless mouse as I don't like the mousepad thing that comes with most laptops, and I find wires a bit of a pain, as in the past they have gotten tangled with the other things I have on my desk. I have had no problems using a wireless mouse, no issues with lag or anything, and I didn't pay all that much for it either.