Witcher 3 Dev: Don't Buy From Green Man Gaming

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
chikusho said:
Let's get real here people.

GMG did not say that their keys came from an "unknown source".
GMG DID say that their keys came from "legitimate third-party retailers".
its still unknown soure since gmg has not stated what the legitimate retailers actualy are

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I have no doubt CDP would want GOG to be the main store front for the quite highly anticipated Witcher launch, and that they actively limit other sites to make it more effective.
But on the other hand GMG conveniently forgot all the names of their legitimate game key sources... odd isn't it.

Just business as usual, everyone wants to carve out their profit regardless of how they get there.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
drakonz said:
chikusho said:

its still unknown soure since gmg has not stated what the legitimate retailers actualy are
They probably don't want to tell the public because then CDP would stop selling to these3rd party groups. If I were reselling to GMG I'd ask them not to tell people

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Adultratedhydra said:
NickBrahz said:
Other big digital sites have it for $75, GoG is the most expensive at $80 do they really think a "Please don't buy from this giant distributor for $39" is going to work when a lot of people use GMG and they actually deliver keys, this isn't some sketchy Brazilian or Russian site.
CDPR is completely within their right to do this and it is -very- suss that GMG are labeling their supplier as "Unknown".

If everything is above board then there should be no problem on providing the name of the supplier. GMG seem reluctant to name the supplier so yes there is something sketchy about this.
Im not saying it is not there right to ask people not do, just as it is within peoples rights to spend $39 from GMG when CDPR is asking "No please buy it here from $80 instead" and how is it so weird that a company doesn't want to name there supplier? no company is transparent with where they get there stuff, GMG bought from some 3rd party and if they get named then CDPR will stop doing business with them, i like how everybody jumps to pitchforks and fire as soon as a large respected digital site does not want to list it's business partners instead of waiting for something actually criminal or disreputable.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
drakonz said:
chikusho said:

And GMG is under no obligation to disclose those sources to the public. It might, in fact, be very bad for them to do so from a business stand-point. If the copies are functional and legally obtained that's their business and their business alone. If they are non-functional and/or illegally obtained, the burden of proof is on a prosecutor.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
NickBrahz said:
Adultratedhydra said:
NickBrahz said:
Other big digital sites have it for $75, GoG is the most expensive at $80 do they really think a "Please don't buy from this giant distributor for $39" is going to work when a lot of people use GMG and they actually deliver keys, this isn't some sketchy Brazilian or Russian site.
CDPR is completely within their right to do this and it is -very- suss that GMG are labeling their supplier as "Unknown".

If everything is above board then there should be no problem on providing the name of the supplier. GMG seem reluctant to name the supplier so yes there is something sketchy about this.
Im not saying it is not there right to ask people not do, just as it is within peoples rights to spend $39 from GMG when CDPR is asking "No please buy it here from $80 instead" and how is it so weird that a company doesn't want to name there supplier? no company is transparent with where they get there stuff, GMG bought from some 3rd party and if they get named then CDPR will stop doing business with them, i like how everybody jumps to pitchforks and fire as soon as a large respected digital site does not want to list it's business partners instead of waiting for something actually criminal or disreputable.
Were are you getting these 80 bucks from?
For me GoG is 47 and GmG 39. Still 8 Euros difference, but not 41.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
black_knight1337 said:
And that's yet another reason for me not buy Witcher 3. GGG are by far the best third party retailer around and CDP are locking them (as well as a bunch of other retailers) out from selling their product? And then when they go the extra mile to provide it for their customers they accuse them of selling "illegal" keys as well as claiming they aren't getting any of the revenue from them? Just ridiculous really.

Also, for everyone saying GMG said that they got the keys from an "unknown source", they didn't. It was CDP that said the keys were from an "unknown source".
They didn't say "illegal." They said "unauthorized." It's fairly likely that any authorized sellers of the game are not permitted by contract to sell to resellers. That means that the sale to Greenman Gaming would be unauthorized. Whether it would be legal or not would depend on the laws in the country of the selling party, but that has nothing to do with whether they were authorized by CDP. Whether legal action would be possible or not, CDP would be fairly justified in not letting the offending party carry their games in the future.

happy_turtle said:
drakonz said:
chikusho said:

They probably don't want to tell the public because then CDP would stop selling to these3rd party groups.
And CDP would be fully justified in doing so. Hiding their sources in order to prevent CDP from determining which of their distributors is acting in bad faith and/or breaking licensing agreements isn't really a point in Greenman Gaming's favor.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
NickBrahz said:
Just to clarify, is that the price of the combined game and expansion pass? Because I just looked at GOG and Steam and the base game is 53.99 USD. That will vary per country/region, but GOG has been pretty good at making international rates comparable to the US price. If you add the 25 USD expansion pass you get close to $80, but is Green Man Gaming really selling both for $39?

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Amaror said:
Were are you getting these 80 bucks from?
For me GoG is 47 and GmG 39. Still 8 Euros difference, but not 41.
From the websites, GOG, Steam, Humble, all $75-80 where as GMG is $39

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
shirkbot said:
NickBrahz said:
Just to clarify, is that the price of the combined game and expansion pass? Because I just looked at GOG and Steam and the base game is 53.99 USD. That will vary per country/region, but GOG has been pretty good at making international rates comparable to the US price. If you add the 25 USD expansion pass you get close to $80, but is Green Man Gaming really selling both for $39?
No from GOG at least for us Australians its $80 for game + $35 expansion, GMG is $39 for game no listing of expansion.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
NickBrahz said:
shirkbot said:
NickBrahz said:
No from GOG at least for us Australians its $80 for game + $35 expansion, GMG is $39 for game no listing of expansion.
Bad form GOG. I'm going to write them to complain on your behalf. They're usually way better than that so I don't know what the deal is. Eesh... Steam, on the other hand, is doing exactly what they always do, so they're going to keep overcharging every non-US country forever.

capcha: good morning
It's be a better morning if I didn't wake up to corporate bickering and the continued policy of treating Australia like it's on the moon.

EDIT: I've written GOG and will let you know if they respond with anything relevant.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
shirkbot said:
Just do make sure I'm not having a massive brainfart from lack of sleep could you explain why $80 AUD is so bad? As far as I can can tell $60 USD is about $75 AUD so the prices are roughly equal.

OT: Interesting, so all the community's beloved darling has to do to become the enemy is shit talk the shady parasitic gray market key resellers? You don't offer huge discounts on unreleased games by the power of friendship, you do it by trickery and exploiting the shit out of loopholes. And occasionally via credit cards stolen by Russian hackers. I'm not the least bit surprised that GMG is being cagey, nor am I surprised that CDPR isn't happy with them. Personally I prefer to buy from 100% legit sources just to avoid any potential trouble down the road. And, perhaps more importantly, the confidence that my money is supporting the devs/publisher rather than Vlad the hacker and his overglorifed fences.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Deals like this tend to make me think that someone is getting ripped off somewhere along the line. The four possible scenarios for this are:

1. CD Projeckt is using regional pricing and these copies are being sold across region in a manner which violates the license agreement tied to the sale. This is the best case scenario.

2. Stolen credit card information was used to purchase keys which are now being sold. This is what allegedly happened in the case of Kinguin. These transactions normally screw over the developers who end up not being paid, a legitimate retailer who ends up having the credit card payment reversed or a random consumer if they didn't notice the unauthorized transaction. This is one of the most likely scenarios.

3. CD Projeckt was hacked or their key generation algorithm was reversed using other means. This isn't all that likely, but game development companies tend to have poor security so it's a possibility.

4. The keys are fake and the entire thing is a scam. This one is possible, but unlikely. That said this scenario will appear to be the case if CD Projeckt revokes keys issued by Green Man Gaming before players have a chance to activate them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Madman said:
It's a bit sleazy but not strictly illegal.
It does leave the consumer open to CDPR taking their bats home and deactivating all the GMG sold keys though.

Since CDPR has already openly told people not to buy from GMG it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happens. All they have to do is claim the use of stolen credit cards or that GMG is somehow violating EULA terms that leave them no option but to remove the keys.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
shirkbot said:
NickBrahz said:
shirkbot said:
NickBrahz said:
Bad form GOG. I'm going to write them to complain on your behalf. They're usually way better than that so I don't know what the deal is. Eesh... Steam, on the other hand, is doing exactly what they always do, so they're going to keep overcharging every non-US country forever.
Gog just started Regionally price fixing for there games if the publisher request it.

http://www.gog.com/support/website_help/payments_pricing_promos
"While our older, ?back-catalog? games, and most other items, usually cost roughly the same in all currencies, some new games in our catalog may have different prices based on where you are physically located in the world In such cases, you may find that you're asked to pay a different amount than people in other regions do. However, we offer store credit, which you can use in future purchases, to make up for the price difference. Regional pricing is something that is undertaken at the request of the company for whom we are selling the game, but we do our best to go the extra mile and make it right for everyone."

So yea CDPR can pout all they want, the keys are legitimate and I'll buy from whatever reputable retailer I want.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I haven't had any experience with GMG so don't know what they are like but if someone is selling a game code at a much reduced rate against other retailers chances are it isn't 100% above board.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
TallanKhan said:
I haven't had any experience with GMG so don't know what they are like but if someone is selling a game code at a much reduced rate against other retailers chances are it isn't 100% above board.
I've used GMG a million times, they have cheaper games say $60 instead of $90 and then before a game comes out theres a 20-40% off deal or something so this is usual for them nothing out of the ordinary for them to offer it so cheap.