Witcher 3 Dev Promises No Platform-Exclusive Content

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Witcher 3 Dev Promises No Platform-Exclusive Content

CD Projekt Red doesn't want Witcher 3 players to have anything less than the complete experience.

The PS4 and Xbox One already have near-identical hardware, so having exclusive game content is a big priority for Sony and Microsoft. As such, both companies would love to have The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as an exclusive title on their console, or at least include some console-specific bonus content. Unfortunately for them, CD Projekt Red isn't interested in holding back content from some of their customers. The Witcher developers have promised not to reserve any of the game for one platform or another.

"We are treating all gamers equally," says CD Projekt Red co-founder Marcin Iwinski. "We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."

Console gamers will certainly be happy with this news, assuming they've migrated to next-gen consoles already. CD Projekt Red is building The Witcher 3 to use all the power of the PS4 and Xbox One, which means last-gen consoles won't be supported. The game will also be available on PC, and despite the dedication to "treating all gamers equally," Iwinski has mentioned that players who pre-order from CD Projekt's own storefront at GOG [http://www.gog.com/] will receive an "amazing" bonus.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-14-witcher-3-dev-vows-no-exclusive-content-for-any-platform]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
(Edit: It's been fixed).

Anyway, this is just another example of CDPR being the kind of company we've come to expect at this point. I don't think I've ever seen any completely negative press about them. Marcin Iwinski needs all the internet cookies that ever will be.

(Edit 2: Some people have mentioned a few iffy things they've done, and I agree. I don't claim that they're the messiah of the gaming industry, just that they're very very nice especially compared to some companies).

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Yet another reason why CD Projekt is basically one of my favorite companies. There's a reason I always try to buy off of GoG whenever I can. I want to give them my money because they're just so damn awesome to their customers. Hell, I'm not even terribly interested in The Witcher 3, and I still will probably end up getting it just because I want CD Projekt to succeed.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Happy to hear it. This is coming from a company who refused to put DRM in their past games. I almost want to bite my tongue, but at actually trust them to stick to their word with this one.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
CardinalPiggles said:
I think you should have previewed your post before posting.

Anyway, this is just another example of CDPR being the kind of company we've come to expect at this point. I don't think I've ever seen any completely negative press about them. Marcin Iwinski needs all the internet cookies that ever will be.
They did have some issue with the release of Witcher 2 I remember having a hard time just playing the game. And tech support was more or less useless for the first month and a half. The only other issue I've heard of was there canceling or was it just the lack of release of Witcher 2 for the ps3. Beyond that there seem to be a rather good company and having the Witcher as the source material for the games is great. Now if they would only translate the rest of the books to English. -_-

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Cognimancer said:
CD Projekt Red is building The Witcher 3 to use all the power of the PS4 and Xbox One, which means last-gen consoles won't be supported. The game will also be available on PC,
This should read: the Witcher 3 is coming out for PC and it will also be able to run on Xbox One and PS4. They developed it for PC first and they were always upfront about it.

Brian Bohnett said:
They did have some issue with the release of Witcher 2 I remember having a hard time just playing the game. And tech support was more or less useless for the first month and a half. The only other issue I've heard of was there canceling or was it just the lack of release of Witcher 2 for the ps3. Beyond that there seem to be a rather good company and having the Witcher as the source material for the games is great. Now if they would only translate the rest of the books to English. -_-
Witcher 2 had DRM at release that prevented people from playing. CDP have realized this error and removed the DRM and as a compensation gave everyone a free expansion (that supposedly gives 20 hours of content).

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I guess Poland has different values about what it means to be a company, customer satisfaction over profits. Sure they'll never make as much as Call of Duty, but they get to make the game they love, and the fans of their games get no stupid hassles other than game bugs and such. They always fix their games once they release, and in fact sell and updated version of the game after the fact, which is normal except they give the content and fixes to everyone, even those who purchased the game before the enhanced edition came out. They are a company fueled by passion and I hope they never give in to the need to take profits over people.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I really want to play The Witcher 3...but I got bored really early of 1, and I had a few issues with my copy of 2 which I never bothered to restart the game (Especially considering I was twenty or so hours into it). Is the series as continuous as Mass Effect, or are each of the games their own separate stories with some references to the previous ones (A la CoD Black Ops trilogy, or Indiana Jones movies).

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
DLC for the previous Witcher games have been free on the PC all this time so this is no news at all.

With that said, I don't know how the consoles will get these DLC's free since I read a while ago that they had been forced by MS to monetize their DLC because they wouldn't let them put free stuff on their service.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
For fuck sake, why can't every developer do this? It's just common sense.
CD Project +1
Ubisoft -100
Not just common sense - this kinda stuff is the reason I will be pre-ordering Witcher 3 and I why I didn't pre-order Watchdogs.

I know that CDPR (for the time being at least) is one of the few companies out there that can be trusted and is genuinely doing their utmost to provide the best experience for the customer. That trust and faith is such an incredibly undervalued commodity to the likes of EA and UBI.

Of course though EA and Ubisoft are simply the corporate fronts to the games dev industry. In fact I DO have faith (for the most part - im not an idiot) in game devs all over - but the need to provide both a product in often a very tight time schedule and ridiculous levels of profit are the killing blows.

Sorry to be that guy who has a dig at "the man" but it is imo simply corporate greed that's killing so many game devs. Fortunately CDPR are not in that bracket - yet at least.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
DarkhoIlow said:
DLC for the previous Witcher games have been free on the PC all this time so this is no news at all.

With that said, I don't know how the consoles will get these DLC's free since I read a while ago that they had been forced by MS to monetize their DLC because they wouldn't let them put free stuff on their service.
well they must have changed their mind about that sort of thing because valve released free dlc for portal 2 on xbl.

MrSchmeiser

May 13, 2014
CrossLOPER said:
I would like to point out that, despite the fact that this behavior is great, the only reason it is being praised is because CD Projekt is competing against an industry led mostly by greedy retarded chimps.
What? Weird way to write a whole bunch of nothing.

Kudos to cd projekt, i might even buy the witcher games once i get some money

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Does that include modding and a frame rate higher than 30?

Haaaa... it's funny because I invested in the correct platform.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Does that include modding and a frame rate higher than 30?

Haaaa... it's funny because I invested in the correct platform.
I really doubt the console versions will manage to get 60 even if they downscale/downgrade the graphics to 720p to be perfectly honest.

The game truly looks next gen that I will need to invest in a new graphics card by the end of the year specifically for this game.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Oh CDR, its a shame that your brand of awesome is only considered awesome because everyone else around you is to greedy and/or stupid to do the same. Regardless, I love you guys. Witcher 3 is a day 1 buy for me.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
I think you should have previewed your post before posting.

People had mixed thoughts about $1000 demand letters sent to pirates but that's all I can think of.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-15-cd-projekt-responds-to-demanding-nearly-and-8364-1000-from-alleged-pirates