With Great Power ...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
With Great Power ...

MovieBob breaks down the new Amazing Spider-Man trailer.

Read Full Article

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
I'm confused... Bob basically said he didn't like the movie based on the trailer, but in the little blurb above he calls it amazi- oh, wait a minute, that's just part of the title, nevermind.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Some of the complaints here I can understand, but others are genuine biased nitpicking. There's no "maybe Bob is biased" about it. Picking on how Peter Parker is dressed and the hoodie he wears is all aesthetic. It doesn't actually change the substance of the film, and let's face it. Hollywood having a character wear that current era's popular fashion? NO WAI.

It's like going back to the 80's and complaining about people having ridiculously hair-sprayed do's and overly colorful clothing.

The number of substantial complaints are few and far between in this trailer run down. I can accept that MovieBob isn't excited because it is an obvious cash grab, and I can accept that the back-story and destiny thing is complete crap. I also am worried that the death of Uncle Ben is glossed over, assuming it happens at all. I don't like that sort of origin either, I feel like it misses the point, and it is only being done for the sake of standing apart from Raimi's flicks.

That doesn't automatically make the film shit.

When MovieBob reviews this film, it doesn't matter how good it actually is, he's going to hate it. If he comes back saying "I was pleasantly surprised", I'll cut out my own tongue.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can't take Denis Leary seriously as an actor, because all I hear from him is Ice Age's Diego.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Can anybody else not read this because of the stupid Darkness background? I thought those were supposed to be only the side bars.

Malignanttoe

Aug 25, 2011
Rect Pola said:
Can anybody else not read this because of the stupid Darkness background? I thought those were supposed to be only the side bars.
I had to switch my browser to compatibility mode.

I have to agree that there's obvious bias coming from Movie Bob. With all due respect, I think you're holding onto the nostalgia a little too hard. I don't know if it'll be a good movie, but I think the trailer was alright. Not ground breaking, but alright.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm with you, Bob. I want to like the movie, but not diggin' on a few of the things. The costume for Spidey is the worst for me, worst in the sense that I feel like such a pathetic nitpicky fanboy when I bring this up, but the fact that they decided to change the costume seems to me like they're purposefully trying to distance themselves from the Raimi films as much as they can; something compounded by the fact that Raimi and the original cast were very quickly given the boot and replaced.

And yeah, the Lizard looks off too, and that's another nitpick, and giving him a lab coat would help.

And the backstory with Peter's parents is lame too. Though you brought up the Ultimate universe version and I think it was handled better there than in the mainstream U.

Beyond the gripes I have, it looks... OK. And many of the gripes come from the events that led to this movie. But it isn't fair to blame the film itself for what went on behind the scenes, and I'll try to judge it on its own merits when it comes out.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I look forward to more hate for Peter Parker's floppy hair and hipster getup. "We love Spidey because he's a nerdy outcast, and we can all relate to...wait, he's not OUR KIND of nerdy outcast? WHAT A HIPSTER EMO **** LOL"

That aside, that was a refreshingly balanced rundown of the trailer from Bob. I think it looks way better than the Raimi films, but I thought they were total shit so of course I'm inclined to like this one. I still disagree with Bob, but I can see where he's coming from. I do have the advantage of not being a stunted manchild who can't distinguish a passing observation from a hate-filled condemnation, though.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not really getting the whole lab-coat complaint. What we have is a scientist who tries to regrow his missing arm and ends up turning himself into a big lizard monster who apparently looks wrong because he doesn't keep his lab-coat?

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
To be honest, I'm looking forward to this more than the Avengers. The tone is right, New York is grimy and dark instead of colorful and pleasant, the whole "destiny" angle is a pleasant suprise especially since it fits more with the mechanical web-shooters angle of Spider-man, the origin story is different than the original, and the casting seems right on queue.

I love this trailer and can't wait. Please note that while I am a huge Spider-man fan, I was extremely mixed on the first trailer. I'm not sure biased fanboy who loves everything Spidey-related.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Eh, I think it looked fairly good. I think most of your complaints come from it differing from established comics backstory, which I'm not that bothered about.

In fact, to address your complaint about Spidey dressing like a hipster; Spidey is supposedly a smartass nerd type, no? Being a hipster suits him down to tee.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Seventh Actuality said:
I look forward to more hate for Peter Parker's floppy hair and hipster getup. "We love Spidey because he's a nerdy outcast, and we can all relate to...wait, he's not OUR KIND of nerdy outcast? WHAT A HIPSTER EMO **** LOL"
Kind of odd for someone to complain about considering that hipsters are the nerds of today.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
still looks completely and utterly BORING. Why the HELL did they give Spidey Edward Cullen's hair? Anyway, this'll be forgotten as soon as TDKR rolls around and curb stomps every blockbuster coming out in the summer.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Malignanttoe said:
Rect Pola said:

I have to agree that there's obvious bias coming from Movie Bob. With all due respect, I think you're holding onto the nostalgia a little too hard. I don't know if it'll be a good movie, but I think the trailer was alright. Not ground breaking, but alright.
You know, MovieBob's shtick is that he is a movie reviewever whi is a nerd, so when we go to him for his oppinions in his oppinion piece, if we get supprised or angry when he's being a nitpicky nerd, we might have set our perspectives a bit off. Of course he's fucking bias, he's a Spider-Man fan, we go in to this article knowing he's bias, it's kind of the point!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
MovieBob said:
The problem, as ever, seems to be that Spidey lacks facial features. In comics and animation you can cheat that a little bit, in order to convey subtle cues as to how the spider-witticisms are supposed to be taken. But here, in live action, it's just flippant snark accompanied by frantic head-bobbing pantomime, like Dane Cook playing a Power Ranger.
Huh, that's a damn good point. In the comics and cartoons, they have the eyes of the mask move to help convey his tone, even if that makes no sense in real life (they do that a lot with Batman's mask, too). But that can't work in a live action movie without looking really goofy (probably why Batman's mask always has open eye holes in the live action movies). And I'm not sure what they could do about it instead, cause the head bobbing thing sure doesn't work. Most other superheroes have the advantage of no mask (Superman) or a partial mask (Batman), but Spiderman's kind of screwed there.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I somehow didn't get the feeling Parker was that emoish (especially not as much as in the Raimi films)...don't know what happened. And yes, I hope there are some better jokes and puns in fights, in the comics and in the 90s cartoon there were genuine jokes midfights, in fact that was the specific part of Spiderman...and the funnier counterpart Deadpool (but he was breaking the wall as well).
Only one enemy? I guess they're not going for Nolan's Batman enough to make more plots into one.

What I am hopping for is a Spidey or Parker cameo in Avengers, maybe just as a boy on a bus or something.

Malignanttoe

Aug 25, 2011
Varya said:
Malignanttoe said:
Rect Pola said:

You know, MovieBob's shtick is that he is a movie reviewever whi is a nerd, so when we go to him for his oppinions in his oppinion piece, if we get supprised or angry when he's being a nitpicky nerd, we might have set our perspectives a bit off. Of course he's fucking bias, he's a Spider-Man fan, we go in to this article knowing he's bias, it's kind of the point!
Sorry, I meant close-minded.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
/shrug

The Raimi films were poorly cast, heavy-handed, and the third one was an utterly unmitigated disaster with functionally no redeeming value.

Bring on the reboot, I say.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Let's be honest here: this movie was sunk the moment they cast Garfield as Spiderman. He's not dead-eyed and subtly abusive enough to get the all-growed-up Twilight girls a-swoonin' and his testicles have clearly not descended sufficiently far for any gentleman to take his heroic adventures seriously.

The stupid spidey-saves-the-day moments and random plot changes from the old series are just icing on the cake. Avengers is still the one to watch for when it actually comes out. Will that one be great? Who can say. But Spiderman will clearly be awful.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Varya said:
Malignanttoe said:
Rect Pola said:

I'd love to be a professional games critic one day, but for now I can only speak as an amateur wannabe, so nothing I say is with any sense of real authority on this matter.

Bob is paid to be a critic. This means he has a level of knowledge that tends to exceed that of most folks in the entertainment industry. Now, it's impossible for anyone to hide their biases. Bob makes it obvious that he has certain biases, typically involving things like robots, monsters, boobies, gore and things that aren't religious (especially on his blog). However, in some cases he needs to distance himself from those biases to try and judge something based on what it actually is.

Bob having issues with the backstory and the whole destiny angle? Valid. His problems with Andrew Garfield's clothing and his ONE LINE of snark in the trailer? Nitpicking for the sake of finding something not to like.

He has done it with other films in the past. He doesn't do it with everything, but there are times I am forced to sigh and roll my eyes when he makes one big smart-ass comment that reads like it came out of 4chan as if he actually has a point, rather than shouting "THIS IS MY OPINION AND I KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!". I have no problem with someone providing a logical reason for why they like or dislike something. But it has to be presented as a logical argument first.

MovieBob bitching that Peter Parker is wearing "hipster" clothing (quick everyone! Let's all try and define what "hipster" is again and wonder at how no one can actually agree on it!) is no different than the old assholes snubbing Super Hero films altogether. MovieBob is getting older, he has expectations of certain aesthetics and styles, and now that times are changing he is judging certain ones harshly.

Though truth told, I'm not even sure I see the "hipster clothing" angle. Peter Parker is wearing clothing. Maybe I'm oblivious to fashion trends, but there's nothing particularly douchey hipster about what he's wearing to me.