Without saying your age, what's something from your childhood that a younger person wouldn't understand?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Here's a good one that might give some of you PTSD flashbacks.

Moving a big CRT television.
Or CRT Computer monitor. I used to take a 21inch CRT to Lan Parties.

Not this one exactly but the size is about right. Man, truly the 19'' LCD was a Godsend.

On that note, this was our family's TV when I was a kid. Black and White, dial in the channels!View attachment 5662

Almost...almost...

Nothing new under the sun, but honestly its nice that every generation seems to have had their own one of those shows.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Nothing new under the sun, but honestly its nice that every generation seems to have had their own one of those shows.
I think my interests had moved on a bit by the time that came out, and the presentation (overall, not necessarily Niel Buchanan) wasn't quite my style, but I do remember him in No.73 when I was a kid

EDIT: And I just found out he was in a Heavy Metal band that toured with Judas Priest, Whitesnake and more. He is pretty damn cool.

Last edited:

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
This might have been a local thing, but the TV listings for the week came in a separate color-coded section of the Sunday newspaper.

Having to adjust rabbit ears to get a clear picture while watching TV. And being able to control the color, contrast and V-hold of a TV via physical dials.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sustained fire dice and a zillion different shaped cardboard templates. And wargear cards, loads and loads of those.

With the exception of the dice, lose one and you did not get a replacement very easily back then.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Sustained fire dice and a zillion different shaped cardboard templates. And wargear cards, loads and loads of those.

With the exception of the dice, lose one and you did not get a replacement very easily back then.
The company in question telling you to photocopy them...

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Used to take me half an hour to send a text because I had to push the seven button FOUR times to get an S. I'm so glad communication has gotten to a point where stuff like that is no longer a problem.

Having to top up your minutes to call someone and paying for texts.

Only being able to use the internet or the phone, because they both used the same landline.

Buying ringtones. Crazy frog is still goated, don't @ me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Foraging for quarters. Digging through couch cushions after your parents had guests over or when your older brother's friends had been over trying desperately to find any misplaced or lost quarter you could find. You needed all the quarters you could scrounge when I was a kid, anything to give you just a few more minutes of video game time the next time you hit the arcade.

The RF switch on the back of your tv. You had to turn on your video game console, then get behind your tv and flip the switch from tv to game to be able to play. God forbid you don't switch it back and your dad tries to watch tv after you are done.

And the oldest one I can remember. The clicker. The tv remote. No, not ones like we have now... the original clicker. No batteries needed, each button was connected to a clapper that when pressed emitted a very loud audible click or snap... in 3 or 4 different tones. A microphone on the TV picked up the click and turned the channel up or down or the TV on or off. Changing the channel without getting up from the couch... futuristic. To me and my brothers (who were basically mom and dad's remote control) Grandpa's TV with a clicker was one of the coolest things we had ever seen. By design, those things were freaking loud. You could hear someone changing the channel, even if you were far enough away you couldn't even hear the TV.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
And the oldest one I can remember. The clicker. The tv remote. No, not ones like we have now... the original clicker. No batteries needed, each button was connected to a clapper that when pressed emitted a very loud audible click or snap... in 3 or 4 different tones. A microphone on the TV picked up the click and turned the channel up or down or the TV on or off. Changing the channel without getting up from the couch... futuristic. To me and my brothers (who were basically mom and dad's remote control) Grandpa's TV with a clicker was one of the coolest things we had ever seen. By design, those things were freaking loud. You could hear someone changing the channel, even if you were far enough away you couldn't even hear the TV.
Do those precede these?
1648135335572.png
Never heard of the literal "clicker."

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I was just talking to a buddy about when Madden dropped on the Dreamcast and they showed the players' breath in cold-weather games, and our minds were blown. Now, the current Madden games are basically indistinguishable from an actual game broadcast, and we couldn't be more "meh."
Back in the day, a coworker excitedly told me I have to get Madden for Dreamcast as it looked like real life. And I thought I had it all with the N64 version and a 4 Meg Pak.

I've got the latest Madden games as gifts or included with Amazon Prime. I am not obsessed with it, updating every year to update the roster and getting ranking online as some friends do. I just sit down to an occasional game when my boy comes to visit. In 5.1 on a 75" 4k it looks and sounds spectacular. The missus came upstairs where we were playing recently and said, "so this is how you get your game fix off season!" The real thing give us an excuse for parties nearly every weekend in the Fall.

But I think "Adventure" for the Atari 2600 is still considered the very first game console graphic RPG of all time.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Do those precede these?
View attachment 5784
Never heard of the literal "clicker."
No, that looks considerably older than the Zenith "space command" clicker of grandpas.
Untitled.png
It was an oddity at the time, and even more so now. Time frame of his ownership of that tv... early 80's or so. The downstairs tv had an intellivision hooked up to it, which was exciting because my brothers had an Atari 2600 so there were different games to try.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Foraging for quarters. Digging through couch cushions after your parents had guests over or when your older brother's friends had been over trying desperately to find any misplaced or lost quarter you could find. You needed all the quarters you could scrounge when I was a kid, anything to give you just a few more minutes of video game time the next time you hit the arcade.
When I was a kid visiting relatives in the US, you best believe I foraged the shit out of their houses for quarters. My aunt let us keep whatever we found, and I think we racked up like 50 bucks in loose change. Which, when converted to our currency, was a huge deal at the time.

Even found a 2 dollar bill. Which... I ripped in half... because I was told they were no longer used...

Anyway, is that a common American thing? To just misplace loose change absolutely everywhere?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
When I was a kid visiting relatives in the US, you best believe I foraged the shit out of their houses for quarters. My aunt let us keep whatever we found, and I think we racked up like 50 bucks in loose change. Which, when converted to our currency, was a huge deal at the time.

Even found a 2 dollar bill. Which... I ripped in half... because I was told they were no longer used...

Anyway, is that a common American thing? To just misplace loose change absolutely everywhere?
Actually, not so much anymore. With so many card readers and automatic debit transactions... you just don't need to carry change around anymore. So rather than always having some around in your pockets... where they fall out when you sit down or fly out when you grab your keys, you get some change from a transaction and it immediately goes into whatever receptacle in your car you have designated for your loose change. Nowadays change doesn't make it back to the house or apartment... it has been concentrated in our cars. And if it does make it back to the apartment, it is all concentrated in one place. Generally somewhere near where you keep your keys.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Here's a good one that might give some of you PTSD flashbacks.

Moving a big CRT television.
I remember bringing my broken one over to a guy's house in a wheelbarrow so he could fix it.

Also, getting chickenpox.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Actually, not so much anymore. With so many card readers and automatic debit transactions... you just don't need to carry change around anymore. So rather than always having some around in your pockets... where they fall out when you sit down or fly out when you grab your keys, you get some change from a transaction and it immediately goes into whatever receptacle in your car you have designated for your loose change. Nowadays change doesn't make it back to the house or apartment... it has been concentrated in our cars. And if it does make it back to the apartment, it is all concentrated in one place. Generally somewhere near where you keep your keys.
If I didn't need quarters for the local laundromat, I would've been completely cashless for at least the last five years. (And yes, the leftover quarters go next to where I keep my keys.)