Without saying your age, what's something from your childhood that a younger person wouldn't understand?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
If I didn't need quarters for the local laundromat, I would've been completely cashless for at least the last five years. (And yes, the leftover quarters go next to where I keep my keys.)
Yup that was my last use for quarters. Then my laundromat went bluetooth cashless app about 2 years ago.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There's a laundromat in my area that does both.
Well, I say my laundromat. Actually the laundry room in my apartment complex. Seriously, how is that not free? I'm already paying them rent, I'm already having to open up a dryer and see the lint trap full of somebody else's reeking mats of cat hair. I'm PAYING for laundry every time I DON'T just close that machine and use the next one, but instead throw on a rubber glove and clean the lint trap then disinfect the dryer. Why would I bother doing such things... because no one else does and eventually I wouldn't be able use any of the driers.

I should probably forward this to complain train.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I read the encyclopedias of my late Grandma(she's Math and Science teacher)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Dialing into a BBS to download the premium episodes of shareware games
(I'm not actually that old, but I was super-early on computers, lol)

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Dialing into a BBS to download the premium episodes of shareware games
(I'm not actually that old, but I was super-early on computers, lol)
I also played those shareware games

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I think using the term "shareware" itself qualifies for this thread.
I could probably still find some today. Though the latest I ever was involved with Exile/Avernum which went into the early 2000s.

Of course, the funny thing with Shareware in 1990-1995ish was you basically had to buy the free part (usually as part of some kind of bundle) anyways. Then do some mail order stuff to get the remaing 2/3, 5/6, etc of the game.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I could probably still find some today. Though the latest I ever was involved with Exile/Avernum which went into the early 2000s.

Of course, the funny thing with Shareware in 1990-1995ish was you basically had to buy the free part (usually as part of some kind of bundle) anyways. Then do some mail order stuff to get the remaing 2/3, 5/6, etc of the game.
lot of shareware games from our childhood become obscure

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The latest Avernum remakes (and other Spiderweb games) also have shareware versions.

Used to play lots of shareware that I got on CDs with games magazines I didn't really read, Exile3 was one of the few I actually bought the full game for.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I heard Doom kinda did okay.
Doom, Wolf, Duke lol

Really, Commander Keen managed to pump out like 9 franchise entries, so I assume it was doing fine and just fell into the we're so "mature" abyss come the 2000s.
The latest Avernum remakes (and other Spiderweb games) also have shareware versions.

Used to play lots of shareware that I got on CDs with games magazines I didn't really read, Exile3 was one of the few I actually bought the full game for.

My thing was more that one of my first games was the Ultima Collection (not sure which particular edition). So yeah, Exile/Avernum is basically a note for note run on the gameplay of Ultima 3-6 (and the Mars one that I've never played).

Also I did my first modding in Exile, of a sort. Because all the sprites you could edit in MS Paint, so I did a bunch of reskins lol.