Witnessing death.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Dirzzit said:
She was outside your monkey sphere, don't worry about it. Your not a monster for feeling nothing, now if she was your mother and you feel fine then I'd start worrying.
Hmm... good answer. Forgot all about the monkey sphere.

OT: I've watched a pet die, and that definitely sucked. I watched my grandmother have the plug pulled on her. She pushed through another twenty hours, but it was still an awful feeling.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I've not seen someone die, but my cat died recently, and though I wasn't there when he did die, I had to deal with him afterwards.
I've never held a dead creature in my arms before, and it was really difficult...

pauseandeffect

Jun 15, 2011
I have watched my uncle die while holding his hand and had my dog fall asleep and not wake up in my arms. The feeling of life leaving a living thing is like nothing else I have ever experienced. It's a humbling ordeal and one that I hope I won't have to go through anytime soon.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
holy_secret said:
It's okay. I promise.

I heard a plate breaking. She was washing it. I freak out every time I hear plates break.
I know the feeling, I freak out every time I hear brakes (or at least I used to)... I managed to 'stop' that reaction, and now it's just finding the source vehicle and checking that everyone's OK, even if passively.

'smile': never know whether to smile or cry (or both) whenever I hear a woman say that... *sigh*

thecatsme0w

Apr 3, 2010
I will never forget the sight of my stillborn daughter. She was so tiny and beautiful. She'd have turned 11 this spring and I still remember her. I think I always will. The day she died is 2 days after my (living - born 2 years later) daughter's birthday and that makes it kind of a rollercoaster few days emotionally.

I was also with my dog when she was put to sleep but that was really peaceful. The vet came to our house and gave her the shots there and then just quietly left. We spent a good hour with her body, just petting her one last time before burying her in the yard.

I've seen a few open casket funerals too, mostly grandparents and the like.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well, its been my experience that seeing death is a lot easier to handle than having your choices being directly related to someones death. That sticks with you much longer and is a hell of a lot harder to handle.

Personally I try to not let such things phase me but even the most stoic are not fully immune.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Been up close to a dead body at a funeral, but never actually witnessed a death.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
No but I've seen numerous animals needlessly tortured. It's sad because I care about all living things. The worst was merely a mouse, but it had been dipped in lighter fluid and lit on fire... and when the fire went out. It was relit. Again and again. Until the mouse stopped squealing. Humans are capable of great evil.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
Everyone else died when I wasn't looking.
That sounds almost poetic. Like "Life happens when you are busy making other plans", except saying that the opposite holds true as well.

OT: I've never seen anyone die. My mother didn't let my brother and I go see my grandmother in the hospital when she was dying because she wanted to protect us from it. She saw it though, and it hit her pretty hard ... anything more than that is more than I feel comfortable sharing.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I was in the room when my fiancee's cat was put to sleep. Though I never saw the death itself, while I worked in a photo lab a somewhat older woman came in to make copies of a photo of her son with the right side of his face missing for a court case.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Xeros said:
Simple question: Have you ever seen someone die with your own eyes? How did you react?

While walking to my friend's house yesterday morning, I watched a woman get hit by car, fly 10 feet in the air, and slam into the ground. This happened not even 5 feet in front of me, and the piece of her skill with her hair attached to it landed even closer. My friend's and I have made countless jokes, and mockeries on the subject of death. In fact, it was one of the ways I'd coped with the death of my best friend. However, until now, I'd never witnessed death with my own eyes. Surprisingly, and even somewhat worryingly, it didn't phase me one damn bit.
You can witness death every day, depending on how you perceive 'life'.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Dirzzit said:
She was outside your monkey sphere, don't worry about it. Your not a monster for feeling nothing, now if she was your mother and you feel fine then I'd start worrying.
Thank you for referencing the monkey sphere.

I saw my cat die. Does that count?

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I haven't seen anyone or anything die but I think if I did I wouldn't really react. I've seen car crashes and such and I've just sorta frozen up and watched it happen without feeling so I image I'd just be like that. If it was someone close to me though...I really have no idea what would happen and I hope I never find out.

Fake Nicker

Mar 31, 2010
Ive seen about 12-13 people die. First ones were family and hit me quite hard. Their bodies like empty shells. Some from road accidents right infront of me. Ive shot one person trying to kill me. And stabbed one to death in selfdefence with his own knife. Ive have to say that the last deaths wasnt all that hard. More or less annoying and depressing on how this world is behaving.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I don`t think so, but a nagging feeling at the back of my head tells me otherwise....mayve i blocked it out....

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Back in high-school (or whatever second degree would be) I saw this scene while passing on a buss. There was heavy rainfall at the time, and some sort of traffic accident had occurred. There was a twisted bicycle, an ambulance, and a man lying on the ground. There were paramedics about but nobody seemed to be in a hurry to move the man out of the rain or at least cover him with something. Then it hit me. It was because there was nothing more they could do.

I didn't dwell on it really. There was just this brief pang of sort of impersonal sadness. Another life cut short.

I also saw my father bludgeon my cat to death when I was 9 years old but there was a lot more reason to be upset than just the sudden death, obviously. Only people I've told before were my best friend, my therapist, and any of my father's relatives that had a hard time understanding why I despise him.

I_Sinanju _I

May 3, 2011
Two deaths near the same time.
A guy in a drunken suicidal rage was being a fucking moron and decided to get into a head on collision with another car in an attempt to kill himself. He killed the driver of the other car and survived the crash. He then proceeded to blow his own head off with a shotgun. I felt intense anger towards the bastard.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'll answer the same as I always do in threads like this.

Spent 12 years in the British Para's.

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
Have I actually seen a person die? No. But in June one of my closest friends who I'd known for sixteen years was killed after a two car collision that killed three others and left one car a fireball. He was only 21. I've known his family most of my life and worked with his sister at the time and she called me to tell me, absolutely hysterical.

My reaction varied over time. At first, I was shocked; this was the first death of anyone close to me, and after that I cried for an hour, even while I was still on the phone. Then all of a sudden; all I felt was a sort of responsibility to both him and his sister. The day after it happened I was due to be catching a train to go on holiday in the morning, but I took a detour to go and lay flowers for my friend first. There was a journalist there at the time and he asked questions. I didn't give my friends name out of respect for the family but I felt I needed to tell everyone what a wonderful person he was, but then my mood changed to anger when the journalist (who I know was probably just doing his job) started asking whether the crash was his fault, or if he was on drugs when I knew for a fact that he had been a back seat passenger. I called his sister again that afternoon and she thanked me for what I said about him in the newspaper, and once I got back home I went straight to see her where we worked and stayed there the rest of the day just reminiscing.

I grieved again at his funeral, but once it was over I felt strangely peaceful; I don't know if that's common since it's the first funeral I've attended. I visited his grave two weeks ago and it just felt like I was visiting an old friend, regardless of the fact that he was buried. But sometimes I do catch myself remembering how quickly I stopped crying when others were still crying around me, and I do wonder whether I accepted it too soon, even though I know we all cope differently.