Woman charged with Manslaughter after stun went very wrong

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Apparently they never watched Mythbusters. Books don't stop bullets. Also this is why Mythbusters used dummies for this stuff.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Canadamus Prime said:
Apparently they never watched Mythbusters. Books don't stop bullets. Also this is why Mythbusters used dummies for this stuff.
They used a dummy too... (sorry, had to.)

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Someone wake up Darwin from his grave again. We need another one of his awards. Seriously, how stupid must you be to actually do something like that?
and what a bonus that they live in a country that is willing to sell a weapon powerful enough to stop a charging bear to people that stupid.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
And nothing of value was lost? It saddens me that people can't seem to realize the incredible amount of sheer consequence coming out of a gun's barrel.

YOU DO NOT POINT THAT AT ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO PUT A HOLE THROUGH IT!

Fuck it... I'm done here.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
The Rogue Wolf said:
Just so people are aware: A .50 Action Express round (what that model of Desert Eagle fires) carries about four times as much energy as a typical 9mm round, and is considered a suitable round for self-defense against bears. Mr. Ruiz would likely have had to be holding an encyclopedia thicker than the length of a loaf of bread to have had a hope of surviving.

I wish people would stop treating firearms like big, loud toys and respect them as the deadly tools they are.
Maybe if the government and the gun industry treat them as such, it might get through to people. But that would cost both money from s donations or sales, so like hell they are.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
During my military service on the shooting range, I once held my loaded rifle on accident remotely in the direction of someone else. The safety was on and I wasn't even touching the trigger, but my superior was close to taking the rifle away from me and making me sit on the sidelines for the rest of the day. So I can't understand how someone can actually think it's a good idea to point a gun intentionally at someone, let alone shooting him.

I'm not sure what is worse, that the guy thought it would be a good idea, that the woman actually pulled the trigger or the 30 people who didn't step in to stop that stupidity.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Xprimentyl said:
Ok, I think we?re all in consensus that both he AND she were idiots for cooking up this idea and trying to execute it (pun intended,) but what about the +30 onlookers? I see at least 30 counts of criminal negligence. There?s so much fucking dumb going on here, it?s nigh incomprehensible.
The onlookers would probably have a good defense that they thought it was just a trick. Also you are not usually criminally negligent if you see someone doing something stupid and do not stop them before they hurt or kill themselves.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Imma need a clarification. Do you mean she should face no legal punishment? Or just that going to jail is too extreme of one?
Saelune said:
Ultimately, I think any legal punishment should be on the basis of how it effected her kid(s). The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nielas said:
Xprimentyl said:
Ok, I think we?re all in consensus that both he AND she were idiots for cooking up this idea and trying to execute it (pun intended,) but what about the +30 onlookers? I see at least 30 counts of criminal negligence. There?s so much fucking dumb going on here, it?s nigh incomprehensible.
The onlookers would probably have a good defense that they thought it was just a trick. Also you are not usually criminally negligent if you see someone doing something stupid and do not stop them before they hurt or kill themselves.
Yes, of course; I was being facetious.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Well I believe that under the circumstances, the judge will likely be lenient on the young woman. Yes, she did technically commit a crime but that is why we have humans adjudicating things like this rather than machines.

Still a Desert Eagle is infamous as a hand cannon capable of punching through sheet metal let alone a book. Any FPS gamer or action movie fan would know it as a "f*ck you" pistol that is bigger and badder than almost any other handgun out there. Testing it against a tree is useless since a tree is rigid compared to a squishy human who might die from fast flying hardcover fragments. In the end this a sad story of a tragedy that occurred because nobody involved had enough brainpower to realize how dumb and dangerous it was. Also, consider what would have happened if she had missed the book....

Renegrade

Jan 18, 2012
Neonsilver said:
During my military service on the shooting range, I once held my loaded rifle on accident remotely in the direction of someone else. The safety was on and I wasn't even touching the trigger, but my superior was close to taking the rifle away from me and making me sit on the sidelines for the rest of the day. So I can't understand how someone can actually think it's a good idea to point a gun intentionally at someone, let alone shooting him.
Yeah, the very first lesson in gun handling is that you don't point a weapon, regardless of it's state (loaded/not, safety on/off, hammer cocked/not), at any person (or critter) that you do not intend to kill.

Did these people not consider that, or were they simply not taught that to begin with? :/

Oh well - maybe we have a new Darwin Award winner for this year..

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
From what is known so far, I dont think she should go to jail. I'd imagine all the other consequences of the failed stunt will be more than sufficient punishment. Loss of a partner, child likely messed up, etc.
Imma need a clarification. Do you mean she should face no legal punishment? Or just that going to jail is too extreme of one?
Saelune said:
Ultimately, I think any legal punishment should be on the basis of how it effected her kid(s). The guy essentially consented to his own death, so I think it is unfair to punish her for murder, even manslaughter. Manslaughter is for accidentally killing people who DONT ask to have a gun fired at them.
I'd still say that she deserves to go to prison. Maybe not too long--just a week or so--but as long as it's just a few days, nobody can complain that it's too harsh. The guy asked him to do something super-dangerous, and she knew it was risky. She still chose to do it. Yeah, he asked for it, but anybody who asks for it is by definition not sane enough to be in charge of his own life.

It's like if a toddler asked her to do it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:
I'd still say that she deserves to go to prison. Maybe not too long--just a week or so--but as long as it's just a few days, nobody can complain that it's too harsh. The guy asked him to do something super-dangerous, and she knew it was risky. She still chose to do it. Yeah, he asked for it, but anybody who asks for it is by definition not sane enough to be in charge of his own life.

Saelune said:
I still dont think putting her in jail will serve any positive purpose.
Plus it wasnt a toddler. It was an adult man who she presumably trusted. Im sure many of us had times where someone asked us to do something to them and you thought "I probably shouldnt" and they say something like "Naaaah, it will be fine, trust me."

It just doesnt usually end in death.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Idiocracy is here. It didn't take 500, 50, or even 15 years.

I've got an idea: let's get the hashtag #50calchallenge trending and pressure people to try this. Maybe that way nature can take its course once again.

Yes, I am that horrible. This is so utterly beyond any describable levels of retardation I can harbor nothing but the utmost contempt for the guy. There's so many things wrong with this I can't possibly know where to start. The concept of the stunt itself is rather basic and nothing wrong with it, but it goes off the rails in so many ways. Why use the Desert Eagle? Did this guy have any weapons training to begin with? Why in the fuck would you do this with someone holding the book? And right to their CHEST? And not test this at least 10 times before hand, and then another 50 times to be sure? Not to take any safety precautions? Doing all this while being a father/b] is what probably pisses me off the most. I am horrified that his children will now have to live without a father, and Jesus Christ, I didn't even think about the bullying that can follow from this shit. Fuck this gay earth!

This irresponsible shitstain is now my go-to example of why social media is cancer. It's a cesspit that harbors a culture of envy, ego, irresponsibility and hype.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Manslaughter seems about right ... at the very least it will help protect the rest of society from such terminal stupidity. Gun control, it's great. Still .... not as bad as the guy that tried to play Russian Roulette with a M1911.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
Saelune said:

Saelune said:
I still dont think putting her in jail will serve any positive purpose.
Plus it wasnt a toddler. It was an adult man who she presumably trusted. Im sure many of us had times where someone asked us to do something to them and you thought "I probably shouldnt" and they say something like "Naaaah, it will be fine, trust me." He asked her to, but doing it was still her choice and her choice only. She's the only one who pulled the trigger.

It just doesnt usually end in death.
Yeah, but she still chose to fire an extremely powerful handgun at a person without first reading up on if it was dangerous or not. She chose to take his word for it instead of actually doing some research.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Ironically, all it would have taken to find out that this would result in death...is a quick search on Youtube.

These people were idiots.

Now yet more children get to grow up without their parents because of said fucking idiots.

Sorry, but there's no pity here from me for these two. They're old enough to be held liable for their insanely stupid actions.