Woman Makes Kick Ass Hobbit Hole

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
That is undeniably cool, I congratulate her for the amount of time that must have gone into making it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats rather impressive. Far too much free time, but still her attention to detail and commitment is awesome

Love to be able to see it in person!

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
If I was wearing my hat, I would tip it to you, milady. I kinda of want to play with dolls now, is that allowed?

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
aww =( i when i saw the title i was given the impression someone made an actual life sized hobbit hole...but you give me this?! ...just disappointing...

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
That is absolutely amazing. Even scale portraits of Bilbo's parents above the mantle as well Thror's map. That is some serious attention to detail.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I want to see this lady build a life sized model of bag-end next, then sell it so someone can live in it. Hell I'd buy it if I had the money, how many people would be able to say they live in a hobbit hole?

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Dammit! I stopped playing that game after I finially hit 90,000 and now I'm back on it! Curses!
Brian Hendershot said:
What does this link have to...woah..pretty colors

*four hours later* still trying to hit 90,000
I wish I could say I was sorry!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I was disappointed when it turned out the hobbit hole wasn't life sized. That would be epic.

Dang razzafrazzing headlines that don't tell everything!

OT: I think that is awesome. Makes me wish I still had my modeling sets.

Subzerowings said:
It looks nice, but don't people have better things to do with their time?
I just realised how hypocritical that sounded coming from a guy who plays Disgaea 3 and hangs out on a videogame discussion site.
Yes, she totally wasted her time putting patience and effort into a very well crafted miniature. Something many people had as their hobbies before computers became so viral. Never mind the fact she could probably eat for a year off of the money she would make selling that, over what Gamestop pays for a little used videogame.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Woman Makes Kick Ass Hobbit Hole

A UK woman has built a stunningly detailed replica of Bilbo Baggins' home from Lord of the Rings.

Maddie Chambers has built a miniature replica of Bilbo Baggin's Hobbiton home, Bag End. The model, which took a year to make, is incredibly detailed, with a one-inch version of the Baggins family tree framed on one of the walls, a map of Middle Earth and even notes in Elvish in the lounge.

That's just the tip of the iceberg too, as Chambers made an entire house full of miniature furniture, a well stocked kitchen and a vegetable garden.

On her blog, Maddie describes her deep love for Tolkien and how she came to build the model: "This all began when I was a young child and read the Hobbit for the first time. I believe I was about 10 and I was instantly hooked."

"I decided to take on this project as part of a college course I was doing part time when my twin boys were one year old. The module was called 'the importance of play' and we had to make a toy to hand in at the end of the term. Of course, me being me, I took it to the extreme and at first I decided to make a little hill with a front door like Bag End."

"Then I thought, 'well, what if I made the roof removable and had a little room inside?' Then, of course, I started drawing up plans and added more rooms and then decided 'what the hell? I might as well make a replica of the one from the movie and make it big enough to fit in doll's house type furniture!'"

The only way to really appreciate this amazing model is to see it, and fortunately, Chambers has taken a ton of pictures for her blog, both of the finished product, and of how she put it together. You can see them all here [http://madshobbithole.wordpress.com/].

Source: Topless Robot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/04/lord_of_the_tiny_tiny_rings.php]

Awesome! Considering my title is halfling supremacist, this is just awesome.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Yes, she totally wasted her time putting patience and effort into a very well crafted miniature. Something many people had as their hobbies before computers became so viral. Never mind the fact she could probably eat for a year off of the money she would make selling that, over what Gamestop pays for a little used videogame.
I never said that videogames were a good way to spend your time, nor is anything that doesn't help other people. Don't get me wrong. The miniature looks amazing, but what are you going to do with a miniature? I just can't fathom why any one would spend all that hard work on a miniature, like most non-gamers don't understand why I/we spend time playing videogames. I'm no sculptor, I think the miniature looks amazingly detailed, but I can't understand why.