women comedians.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Sarah Kendall is pretty funny, but I agree, most female comedians are PMS suffering, man-hating, vulgar people.

It may have been funny on shock value at first but it's just getting old now, I want some women that do funny things and whatever without degrading themselves.

sam_savage1393

Oct 1, 2009
It all just depends on your type of comedy. Some female comedians are funny, only if they have the right material. Such as those comedians/actresses on MadTV and Saturday Night Live, those skits the women perform are enough to make me laugh. However, those women comedians whose jokes and acts where it is mainly about women feelings, then I feel uninterested. If they could broaden their comical eyes to the enjoyment of not just one specific type of people, then women comedians would be able to succeed.

cartzo

Apr 16, 2009
RickyLill said:
so where does Eddie Izzard stand in all this? couse......you know :p
all i know about izzard is he's straight and calls himself and executive transvestite.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Wait, this was on QI a few hours ago...
Something like, women are more likely to laugh at the jokes and at men instead of women. I can't quite remember.
Probably because the audience will be male dominated, and female comedians usually joke about periods, menopause and women things which men probably won't understand.
I like Jo Caulfield (sp?) because she's a bit different.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I dont know her name, but there was an asian woman stand up comedian on tv once, got a few chuckles out of me. No franky Boyle though.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
cartzo said:
i'm a big fan of stand up comedy, and it is quite widely believed that women aren't as funny as men in stand up (by myself included).
i don't know why it is, does anyone else agree/disagree, or know why this might be. better just clarify that i'm not sexist.

could it be that their are not enough women in the comedy circuit to judge it by.

no flaming.
Happen to watch this evening's QI? The women on that were pretty funny.

EDIT Oh darn, I'm not the first to make that witty observation...

Animated Rope

Apr 14, 2009
I think women are just as humorous as men, but probably are at a disadvantage at doing the typical stand up comedy. From my experience, a lot of women are better at more subtle humour.

The funniest comics I've ever read have been done by women.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
Loadingreadyrun had a video about this. It was good.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/7/The-Rant-Comediennes

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
only two female comedians come to mind(as I can think of no others). Lisa Lampanelli(who I mostly tend to find offensive/unfunny) and Angela Williams aka Bon qui qui, who I think is hilarious

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
I'd agree with you, I used to go to the comedy club every week at my university for 3 years, and everytime a woman is on, it's not all that funny, several got booed and heckled alot. I mean we got a few giggles and titters here and there but that was it, they're just not as good as the men.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I have to admit, the only female comedians that come to mind are Sarah Silverman and Lisa Lampinelli. Both of them rely on shock-laughs about periods and stupid shit like that. I know it isn't just women who do it, Carlos Mencia was famous, if you can call that "fame". If anyone knows of any real funny female comedians, tell me (PM please, I don't want to get quoted 20 times)

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
A lot of women use being a woman as a comedy point.
Half the time, it's just not funny. Especially when they keep going on about their... y'know... area.
Awkward viewing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess it's funnier to see men do stupid things instead of women.

I think Leslie Mann is kinda funny, but she's not really a stand-up comedian.

wolfshrimp

May 6, 2009
There are a handful of incredibly clever women comedians who deserve crowns and jewels and cake and anything they want for being who they are and doing what they do because they stand with the best.

But the overall thing about comediennes is that they suck. I have discussed this with my feminist (not one of the weird ones but the ones who think before they generalise) girlfriend and we agree that most comediennes fail to be funny because they get so hung up on the fact they are women in a male-dominated field that it stifles their material.

The successful comediennes are ones who can find a gimmick to market besides the fact that they are girls. Jo Brand plays with being fat and her past as a nurse. Gina Yashere talks about her Nigerian heritage. Sandi Toksvig makes jokes about her height and lesbianism, they don't go on about the fact they they happen to be women.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well... Women just aren't as funny (I can explain!).

Pretty much everywhere you go, the men tell the jokes and the stories and the women laugh - they don't tell any. They're also less playful than men.

If one calls the other a 'dipshit' they'll likely have to fall out for 3 weeks, each find a new circle of friends, slowly reunite, tell each other they love each other as BFF and then form the old circle.

With a guy he'll just call you a 'nob' back or make a comment regarding the sexual tastes of your mother (and he indulged them).

Men are just more inclined to make more jokes, and I guess it develops from there.