Words/phrases that piss you off

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
"Tell it like it is"
Commonly used as an excuse to glorify disrespecting the feelings of others.

"freedom"
For two reasons:
1) Used often in political slogans by people who support one freedom while simultaneously trying to take down another.
2) Used frequently to justify being a creep to others. "Hey it's a free country."

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Twintix said:
And sometimes, even expressing an interest in anime, manga or anything Japanese makes you a weeaboo.
More often than not, ''weeaboo'' is only used to refer to those who are obnoxious about their penchant for Japanese stuff and/or those who get overly defensive someone else says they don't really care for anime.
Honestly I've never seen it use that way before today, guess I was fortunate in that regard. Like I said before the only time I've seen it used is as a insult for people's listening preferences. Now naturally there's going to be obnoxious overly defensive people on both sides of the fence and sadly enough they're always the loudest, but still no reason to resort to childish name calling. Not saying that you do it but for those "more often than not" situations the only thing it leads to is escalation while solving nothing, unless the purpose is to drag out the obnoxiousness even further.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
sageoftruth said:
"Tell it like it is"
Commonly used as an excuse to glorify disrespecting the feelings of others.
Well said, ''Real talk'' is another phrase used in a similar manner, and both are - above all else - a good indicator that the person saying it isn't open to any form of discussion.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Twintix said:
And sometimes, even expressing an interest in anime, manga or anything Japanese makes you a weeaboo.
More often than not, ''weeaboo'' is only used to refer to those who are obnoxious about their penchant for Japanese stuff and/or those who get overly defensive someone else says they don't really care for anime.

That defensiveness is one of my biggest issues with anime-fandom. That and the fact that the line between ''I appreciate this medium'' and ''I'm using this medium as something to make myself come off as cool, different and interesting because it's niche.'' can get really blurred, especially to outsiders.

Some examples of the aforementioned defensiveness:

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/525152979855224832
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/487024328064516096

And some recommended reading for not falling into the same trap:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-08-22/.77818
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-08-29/.78050

Just so you know, I'm really into anime, manga and other types of Japanese pop culture. I'd love nothing more than to introduce more people to parts of it. That said, it's never going to be liked by everyone. Some people just don't like anime, and that' fine. Other people just don't like super hero movies, others still just don't like musicals, others just don't like ballet. I could go on but you get the idea.

I will concede that certain people who don't like anime can be real dicks about it, but that's life,and it shouldn't deter anyone who does from enjoying it.

(wow, that post turned out longer than expected)
I might've gotten the wrong idea here, but I never claimed that there aren't people who are way too defensive about anime. Like other types of media, it has its fair share of oversensitive people and jackasses. Nor did I state that people spewing out Japanese phrases even though they hardly know the language isn't cringe-inducing and, honestly, kinda dumb. Which it is. (My god, if I could go back in time, I would sock my 14-year old self right in the face for doing that unironically. And labeling myself an "otaku", even though they're looked down upon and the word is used as an insult in Japan...)

I just said that I've seen people say that they like anime/manga/something Japanese and immediately get labeled as "weeaboos".

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Normally I'm not particularly bothered by gramatical variations or errors, language evolves so I think it's kind of inevitable. There's only one phrase at the top of my head that irks me a little and thats 'on accident', I know it's more of an American thing, but man it's 'by accident' 'BY'!

I know some people get really wound up by the use of language though. I just read an article in a local newspaper commentating on the terrible state of 'today's youth' and their use of English language as well the rigour of universities. Why? Because of his eavesdropping on a female student chatting with her friend on the bus who happen to say 'like' a lot. I just thought that was just incredibly priggish.

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
Non-GG: Bae, Shawty (what the hell do these even mean?) "could care less," sheeple (used unironically,) "[# of dislikes] must be..." on youtube, and the ever prevalent "like"

GG: Feminazi and SJW (when applied to people who are actually being somewhat reasonable and not Tumblr nutjobs)

Straight White male, virgin, socially awkward (when used as a blanket insult in an attempt to devalue someone's opinion. Because they're basically the current way to bully "geeks" or "nerds" but used under the pretense of feminism. And because it's just soooo progressive and feminist to imply that a man has less value if he hasn't had sex. It's no wonder GG gained so much steam)

Dead, Death, threat, rape, gate, gamers, doxxing

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Irregardless.

I understand why someone would use that word, but please look it up in the dictionary, don't find it (you can't find it) and then realize it's NOT A FUCKING WORD. NOT EVEN A FUCKING MADE UP WORD THAT EXISTS. FUCK.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
What can I say... judging from your choice words I'd say you are a member of the PC Police yourself. "Political Correctness" is pretty much the only word that pisses me off. For what it represents.
youre not usuing the term "PC-Police" unironically are you?

I mean come on thats almost up there with "sheeple" thease days

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Biased".

Because basically the Internet has redefined it to mean "does not support my pre-formed opinions 100%".

Anyone calling another "biased" for that reason is welcome to fellate a weedwhacker.

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
Recently?

SJW. Misogynist. Harassment. Condoning. Ethics. Corruption. Terrorist.

In general?

Anything that makes me want to say "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Vault101 said:
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
What can I say... judging from your choice words I'd say you are a member of the PC Police yourself. "Political Correctness" is pretty much the only word that pisses me off. For what it represents.

Remember what is not political correctness, calling me a f*cking n*gger straight to my face. Remember, not permitting blatant bigotted acts in public to be met with support or indifference but instead contempt IS...politically correct, so it definitely ain't all bad and anybody scared of it needs to grow up, even if they're 70+ years of age.

Also relevant since I asked this guy this question and generally agree[footnote] Will eventually chop this up and put it on my own channel [/footnote]:

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
White Knight. Yes, some people help others for selfish reasons. Shocker! But assuming any guy who ever helped a woman only did so to get in her pants infuriates me. If I saw a woman being assaulted, I'd hit the guy with a heavy object, ask her if she were all right, and walk away. That's it. Is it really so difficult to believe that a guy could help a woman because it's the right goddamn thing to do?

Umm, Like, You Know. This is just, like, you know, filler. I know people who use those four words more than actual words when they talk. Seriously. I've counted. Also knew a girl who used "fuckin'" the same way.

Gamergate. Don't. Just don't. You lose just by bringing this up. Yes, by my own reasoning, I have now lost the thread. I shall slink away in shame.

You're Either With Us Or Against Us. Right, because in a universe of infinite possibility the only thing that matters is your petty crusade, and the only choices you can see are join it or fight it. Thanks for making my decision so easy, you mindless, antagonistic twat.

No Homo, But.... Got news for ya, Broseph. Your ignorant Broseph friends are going to call you a ****** no matter what you say. It's how insecure males bond. I used to drive this homophobe at work crazy by saying things like, "I thought Brokeback Mountain was a beautiful film." Nice to know I can do the same to you.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
"PC" because of course they don't actually believe that stuff. They're just being "politically" correct. Often spouted by the douche-bags who think people are hating them for speaking the "truth" rather than the fact that their douche-bags.

Sheeple for similar reasons.

I hate being refereed to as babe, bae or baby girl. Not just in pick ups, I know people who call everyone that and it's F'king annoying. I also dislike dear (elderly get a pass but I still don't like it. If someone uses it on-line it almost always sound condescending), sweetums, cutey, hun, sweetheart, love, bro, buddy, dudette and cuz. I much rather people use my actual name or the appropriate pronoun though I don't mind laddie and lassie oddly enough.

For a phrase, variations of "god has a plan" or "everything happens for a reason". When someone said that to my mother after my grandfather died having spent the last few years barely even recognising his own family due to dementia I was very close to punching her in the face. I know she was trying to be comforting but ARGGHH.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
Vault101 said:

I am absolutely serious. Especially in the light of many recent events where so-called progressive have banded together to insult or threaten the job of people whose opinions they dislike. If "PC-Police" offend these people, it's because they realize how appropriate it is.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
I am absolutely serious. Especially in the light of many recent events where so-called progressive have banded together to insult or threaten the job of people whose opinions they dislike. If "PC-Police" offend these people, it's because they realize how appropriate it is.
it always strikes me as just being angry people are calling you out on something

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I must say that some of the anger expressed in this thread over (mostly) harmless phrases troubles me more than a little. Good example:

DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Hey, I found a phrase that actually does piss me off! Unfortunately, it's not an English phrase.

「申し訳ございません」 - "Moushiwake gozaimasen" => "I'm terribly sorry."

Linguistically, it's nothing more than an especially polite apology, often given by service staff for being unable to fulfill a customer's request. In practice at least in my experience, it's essentially no different from "fuck off", in that once the "moshiwake" gets dropped whoever on staff you're dealing with has signaled that they're done dealing with you and your requests that they don't know how to serve, and rather than trying to work the disagreement or dissatisfactory service out with you like adults, they'd really like you to go away now.

It's a perfect demonstration of how people can express thorough contempt for the person they're dealing with while never resulting to a personal insult and maintaining the utmost politeness in their word choices.
It honestly sounds more like you take poorly to being told off, even if it's in a polite yet firm manner.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I'm not a fan of most superfluities but the phrase 'in any way, shape or form' really grates on me; often because used out of context.