Words that gamers use that make you CRINGE!

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
Scrub, Bowl, Entitled, Art, No, Demand, Corporations, Sniveling, Deserve, Graphics, Indie, Gg, Gf, Noob, Idiot, Mine, Boring, Dumbed-down, Elitist, (Art) Snob, Horrible, Subjective, LAWLALWLALWLAWLALWLDL.......

Ugh....our subculture pains me.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
"Basement Dweller"

Has anyone ever even seen or known of a person who lived in their parents basement?

"12 years old"

12 year olds can suck but must of the people being asses online are well into adulthood.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Vault101 said:
lacktheknack said:
"The" "graphics" "aren't" "good" "enough"

graphics don't matter

you can call me the biggest dumbest scourge of the industry heathan....buuut to me graphics kind of do matter
Oh, they matter. I'm a self-proclaimed graphics whore.

It's just that every time someone tells me the graphics aren't good enough, they're talking about something like this.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1048/1048502-justcause2_01_super.jpg

Yes, someone told me that Just Cause 2's graphics were inadequate. I nearly had an aneurysm.
i agree with you completely. someone said that is:

had better graphics than this:

"tell me where you live, so i can shove those killstreaks up your ass."

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
"****" used to be my favorite swear word until my brother started using it to describe everyone he loses to on Tekken 6.

EDIT: Oh, and "*****." Especially when they pronounce it like "beach."

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
"Gamer". That is the word that irks me.

1. We don't call people who watch television "watchers" and we don't call people who read books "readers", so, why call people who play games "gamers"? All in due time there will be no one left alive that was around before videogames were non-existant, and the use of videogames will be as common as that of televisions and books.

2. Just listen to yourself. "Gamer". "Game" isn't a verb. It's a noun. You don't "game" Half-Life 3. You play it.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Any sentence talking about what a n00b I am. I'm sorry whiny 12 year olds for only being 1st prestige. I have something called a social life. Maybe you should get one too.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
nekoali said:
I am on board with hating the use of the word 'rape'. This is the most single horrible thing one person can do to another. Not a replacement for 'I just kicked your butt'. Not only that but it is horribly triggering to people who have survived it and just plain crude.
...Why? I see no real distinction between "I murdered your ass" and "I raped your ass" when used to refer to video games.

Both refer to horrid crimes, and both have NOTHING to do with ACTUALLY committing horrible crimes, and most of the time is used by straight guys against other straight guys (though I've heard girls say it to guys and girls alike, as well).

On topic: As OP said, pretty much just "entitled" pisses me off. Most other words don't bother me because I don't get worked up over little things like colloquialisms.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Right now, "petition", because it's getting really fucking childish. Now we're getting preemptive petitions based on absolutely no evidence, and it's all just losing every bit of power it could've had. Like boycotting.

Also "ruined" or "ruined forever". Ex. "Mass Effect 3's ending retroactively ruined the entire series" or "the Halo franchise is ruined forever because they changed how weapons spawn".

Sep 14, 2009
Phlakes said:
Right now, "petition", because it's getting really fucking childish. Now we're getting preemptive petitions based on absolutely no evidence, and it's all just losing every bit of power it could've had. Like boycotting.

Also "ruined" or "ruined forever". Ex. "Mass Effect 3's ending retroactively ruined the entire series" or "the Halo franchise is ruined forever because they changed how weapons spawn".
just curious..

say there was a 3-4 part book series, and the first 2-3 were fucking AMAZING, like had you frothing from the mouth you were so giddy about em

and then comes along the last book, and it just flips everything upside down about the past books to the point that you don't even know what your reading because it's so off base with what's happened in the past books, and completely ruins some of the lore and depth of some characters based on what you learn in this final book

would you ever want to touch that damn book again? let alone some of the other ones, now seeing some of the shit you learn about?

i'm not saying i'll not touch me 1 and 2 again, i'm sure i will, but it won't be for a longggggg time after my backlog runs dry, instead of doing 3-4 runthroughs including me3 like i was planning to do this summer.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Noob or Owned used outside a game or a joke, or the 12 year old insult and the Chuck Norris/Justin Beiber jokes. Grow up guys, those jokes aren't funny and Justin Beiber jokes werent actually funny in the first place, he's 18 now, your insults are invalid.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Iszfury said:
What the hell is wrong with No?

Anyway, here's my carefully constucted educational list... sorta.
Epic, Fail, N00B, Gay... and that's it.

Gay = Stupid for some gay reason. Ugh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crono1973 said:
Alot of words get thrown around too much by gamers, which ones bother you the most? For me it's:

- Entitled (It's normal for a business to be greedy but a customer wanting to get his money worth is entitled)
- Immersion (must be those people who tie their kids up/let them starve while they play video games, I want no part of that)
I think you covered my major ones right there, so I'll just add (regarding immersion)

People like to cite immersion in ways where "realism" or "appealing" apply. I know people who have been sucked in to Red Dead Redemption for hours (clearly immersed), but claim that third person games don't give you the same level of immersion. The view is NOT what makes a game immersive.
Actually, I'll also add that entitlement isn't a bad thing. We are entitled to many things as consumers.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
A lot of these words are fairly important to any gamer's lexicon... I don't know, am I wrong? Have I been dragged down so far into the industry that I'm blinded by it's intricacy and business?

Although, "noob" is reasonably unimportant, and I would like to see that word disappear, but it's also heavily entrenched in the internet, so I don't think that will happen. :(

Mar 28, 2011
Lagao said:
Entitled
Fanboy
Petition
Tryhard
Noob/Newb/n00b
"leet speak"
and pl0x.

its fucking annoying.

ALSO

being in voice chat and people saying "LAWL"

seriously, its your voice. LAUGH!
My sister actually says, out loud; "lol lol lol"

I've taken to hitting her over the back of the head every time she does it now.

OT: Noob. We were all noobs once. I actually try to help noobs where/if i can. That apparently makes me a "Noobtard"

EDIT; Gay being used in a derogatory manner. Even weirder is when actual gay friends of mine have used the word to mean something negative. Dafuq?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
nothingspringstomind said:
My sister actually says, out loud; "lol lol lol"

I've taken to hitting her over the back of the head every time she does it now.
that's domestic abuse
and I aprove...

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Well goddamn, OP you just used what I was about to say.

The other word I really hate seeing around is "art" and if games are that. That discussion gets very ugly very fast, and no one wins after having it.
Yeah. I think the biggest problem is that there seems to be no objective definition. Everyone has their own, very personal idea of what is and isn't art I guess.

Personally, I hate the use of the word "rape" in the place of beat.

And, of course, the liberal use of "******".