Words you've unknowingly mispronounced.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
Dags90 said:
xdom125x said:
I was thinking sounds like was being used like the 2 words rhymed or something.
It does rhyme, specifically it's an assonance rhyme [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assonance].
Once again, you prove me wrong. I thought of rhyme meaning only the ends of the words sounded the same as each other and you proved me wrong. I thank you for the clarification.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I don't know that I consistently mispronounce anything. I may mispronounce something if I am speaking too quickly or I'm drunk but usually I am the person my friends/family come to to hear a word pronounced correctly.

Edit : I don't count names because often they look nothing like how they are supposed to be pronounced.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It's not unknowingly... but having been raised in Cannock I've got a bit of 'yam yam' going on:

Car - Can't
Doe - Don't
Woe - Won't
Ay - Ain't
Y'am - You are

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Well I've been pronouncing frustration wrong all my 17 years. I've always left out the first r sound.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I have shitloads of these
Chasm I pronounced the Ch (as in chicken)
Chicken, Cheese (up until I was around 11 I said Shicken and Sheese)
The pokemon Gyrados I pronounced it as Jer-a-dos for some reason.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Irridium said:
I used to pronounce "breakfast" as "break" "fast". Pronouncing both the words instead of the whole thing.

InnerRebellion said:
I do have a Boston accent, and I pronounce the following words wrong.
-Car (Cah)
-Park (Pahk)
-Yard (Yahd)
-Hard (Hahd)
-Fool (Foo. I drop the l, I don't even know why).
So.. you basically can't pronounce the letter "r"?
Only if it's in the middle of the word. Like word would sound like "wohd." But something like riddle would sound normal.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
So, after watching some Marvel vs Capcom 3 footage and following up with some research, it turns out I've been mispronouncing Amaterasu for a long time.
You'd think it would be pronounced: Am-ah-teh-rah-su
Turns out it's pronounced: Am-ah-teh-ras

Yeah, Japan fucked me over again, *shakes fist* I'll remember this!

So, fellow escapists, any words you've mispronounced for extended periods of time? Either because you've never heard the word spoken or because you simply can't say it?

Captcha: geethent barriers. Sounds like a shield company...
Tool's 2nd album "Aenima". I used to pronounce it like aenemic, when it's actually in fact pronounced "On-ee-ma"
Strange, but it's is Tool.
-Tabs<3-

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
There is a town near where I live named Shawano that is
pronounced Sha-wa-no.
I pronounce it Shaw-no.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
I've taken to calling elevators
eh-levetors because it sounds funnier.
(I got it from Toby Turner /Tobuscus)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
AvsJoe said:
My accent causes me to mispronounce a few words. Like 'garage'. I say GUH-roj, but I hear it pronounced GAY-raj a lot.
What? I pronounce it just like you do; I've never heard it pronounced any other way. I also live in the area that houses the "base" accent for America. (As my German teacher explained it, our accent is in the same vein as High German.)

I'm fairly certain you're pronouncing it correctly.

OT: I pronounce "deist" as "day-ist," but I guess it's supposed to be "dee-ist." I always say "day-ist" because I pronounce deism as "day-ism," and because it just sounds better.

EDIT:
dakorok said:
I used to pronounce "corps" as "corpse".
Found out that it's pronounced "core".
I don't understand how that works. Same with colonel being pronounced like "kernel." There isn't even an R in there!

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
First things first. I don't consider regional accents as "incorrect pronunciation." So our Bostonians are all find. As are our Liverpudlians and so on. That out of the way...

When I was in fifth grade I was reading a book. One of the chapters was entitled: The Secret Rendezvous. I was a bit careless in the reading of that word and thought it was pronounced: Reh-VEN-dous. I figured out what the word meant in the context of the story, and apparently it meant Ron-day-VOO...I word I had heard many times, but had never seen written down. So for quite some time I thought there were two synonyms for a secret meeting: Ron-day-VOO, and Reh-VEN-dous.

Then, as a person who has played lots of tabletop RPGs, there are numerous words where there seem to be pronunciation disagreements.

Camarilla. I'm from California and I always pronounced it Cam-ah-REE-ah, whereas I ran into players from other states who pronounced it Cam-ah-RILL-uh.
Tzimisce. I've heard this one pronounced many, many different ways.

Drow. Droh (like Woah). Drow (like Wow).

But hey...

huigho1215

Sep 26, 2010
A lot of Final Fantasy names

Tidus (TEE_DUS) I would pronounce as Tidus (TIDE_US)

and cecil I thought was more (SEA_CIL) it wasn't until Dissidia I was like, oooohhhh.

also Some Pokemon names MI-LOW-TECH (Milotic) I pronounced as MIL-AH-TIC. not sure about any real life words though.

EDIT: Oh just thought of one, Chaos I would pronounce it as CHA-OS when I saw it written down.

spike42095

Sep 21, 2010
I used to live near mexico, so I know what real taco's are.
Since then I have refused to call taco bell, taco bell.
Instead I say take-o bell, cause I have no creativity.