Working in an office environment is not cool because......

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I actually like working in an office a lot more than the other jobs I have had. I didn't start working in an office till I was 26 and previous to that I was in the Military, worked in retail and at a Factory. So I love being able to go to work sit at a desk put in my earphones and work without snow, rain, heat, dust, cold or winds. I don't participate in office politics or any other bullshit so its fairly low stress for me. At lunch I go find a quiet place to eat and read and I leave my problems at the door when I leave.

The only thing I have hate is prevalent everywhere no matter the job, people. I am not anti-social I just think so much of the social experience is fluff. I don't like popular music and rarely watch anything on TV that its popular watch. Its hard to talk to some twit about what you watched on discovery channel about the Earth when their idea of entertainment is reality tv or singing/dancing shows. I enjoy having friends but my coworkers are not my friends.

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
Hero in a half shell said:
Also all those personal development evaluation crap that we had to do, and team competition plans that everyone had to take part in to streamline and improve your work jobs.
Yes those are awful. Once a year we are forced to do a 100 questions test created by an external agency whose only job is to offer shitty surveys for other companies. It usually goes like this :

My job is the best job in the world, and everyday I look forward to going to work.
1.True
2.Mostly true
3.neutral
4.False
5.Completely false

Everyday I feel that I do something with real meaning
1.True
2.Mostly true
3.neutral
4.False
5.Completely false

Society benefits from my work
1.True
2.Mostly true
3.neutral
4.False
5.Completely false

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Working in an office is cool,

I love my job!
What?

I had nearly four years of being unemployed after an accident left me disabled; having a reason to get up every morning is bliss!

People need to prioritize, if you don't like your job, do whatever it takes to change it. There are millions of unemployed people who'd love to take your job!

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Artina89 said:
Where groups of people stand around criticizing another person behind their backs, but when that person approaches, they act as though they are best friends. That happens quite a lot where I work, and it irritates me no end.
Whoa... at least where I work, it's actually fairly forthright... until people get sacked, that is... >_>

What happened to the lab job?

albino boo said:
Working in an office environment is not cool because......because the windows are closed. Open the windows guys, you will cool down.
Yeah... no, not happening, not at this time of year at least! >_> Cool down, yes... freeze our asses off, not so much...(!)

OT: No gaming, obviously.

That and sucky internet, a filter which means I can't go on Esc except on my phone/on a public computer which is in the kitchen, of all places, a couple colleagues who can either be great or total jackasses, the stupid levels of bureaucracy (yes, I know, it's a clerical job, but fucking hell, have a look at the amount of paper we chuck away every hour!) and the fact that if I'm in an office (well, this office *thumbs upstairs*), I can't make money doing what I like doing. *le sigh*

Hopefully, however, I'll be on my out in a few months' time... albeit to another office, but doing something I mind less, am better at and for more money. *fingers crossed/knock wood etc.*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I personally love working in an office, what I hate about my job is our client. Seriously, if I was on a different contract, or if the client employed people who actually knew how to do their jobs (so far I can name maybe 5 people out of dozens who are actually competent at our client's offices, and one of them is only a trainee :p), things would be perfect. They basically don't like paying us for the work we do, will use any excuse to shave £10 off an order while steadfastly ignoring our constant requests to sort an agreement on payments in excess of £10,000 that they owe us, keep changing the goalposts and quoting contract (which they don't understand) to us then chastise us for doing the same, and outright lie about things to suit themselves (for example, a manager at our client saying he never agreed to a new process despite us having signed minutes from a meeting where he said the exact opposite).

For context, I'm a trainee quantity surveyor (the financial side of construction) working on a repairs and maintenance contract for a large UK construction firm, our client is the housing association who we do repair works for on their properties. And that wasn't exaggeration above. These are real issues I've been spending the past month trying to deal with, to little avail...

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
It is all about the communication, bring this up in a meeting or at lunch or whatever and come to an agreement with your work colleagues. We have a system at our office of whoever makes the mess cleans the mess. Having a ventilator and plentiful supplies of bleach, air freshers and toilet cleaner in the toilet itself also helps as it reminds people.

My boss has a saying "If you do the same as you have always done you will get the same results." It is very true for stuff like this.

Professor Idle

Aug 21, 2009
Frothy Gibblets said:
To take this thread in a serious direction, I could never work in an office. I'm a driver, taking the drop in social stature with it, because I know I would go postal being cooped up in the same four walls everyday, surrounded by the same shallow people.

So, Working in an office environment is not cool because...it would drive me insane.
I'm curious, why would your co-workers be shallow just because they worked in an office? Goodness knows there are plenty of people who can't be picky about where they work...

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
rhizhim said:
Chemical Alia said:
Up until recently I did work in an office. The only thing awesome about being one of only like five women in the company (which is still higher than I'm used too) is that I basically had a private, spotless perfect bathroom. Except for the cockroaches that would appear at night. Oh, and that one coworker who would occasionally be in the stall before I went in the restroom and still in there when I left. D:
you sure this wasnt a decoy to maintain his normal side of his secret super hero identity intact while he is saving the world?
If I worked with a human female Underdog, I think I'd have caught on eventually.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I worked in an office once.

It sucked.

Nobody flushed, every day more of my seat's stuffing would have "vanished", I had to deal with annoying people constantly issuing complaints about every pointless detail, every Friday is "silly socks Fri", and my coworkers were lifted directly from a sitcom.

Still better than my home life.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Guy from the 80 said:
-As you have entered the toilet and sit down....the toilet seat is still warm. Yes, thats someone ass you are feeling.
[shivers down a spine]
Yes, that is legitimate problem :(

albino boo said:
Working in an office environment is not cool because......because the windows are closed. Open the windows guys, you will cool down.
Sorry, not possible.
Opening the window will somehow fuck up air conditioner
And while air is cool, around noon there is barely any oxygen left
And apparently no manager gets it

(Sorry, needed to vent about my working conditions :/ )

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I work from both my office and my home, and I actually prefer the office. Many of my friends are there, I have a faster computer and internet connection there, and it's much easier to focus on work.

But if I had to pick a reason it's not cool... We don't have a mini fridge or microwave.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Artina89 said:
Where groups of people stand around criticizing another person behind their backs, but when that person approaches, they act as though they are best friends. That happens quite a lot where I work, and it irritates me no end.
Whoa... at least where I work, it's actually fairly forthright... until people get sacked, that is... >_>

What happened to the lab job?
I still work in a laboratory as a biochemist, but I am moving into the microbiology department in the New Year where the people are a lot more laid back and forthright as you put it, but the department I currently work all the knives come out when someone leaves the room. It's just that the whole "backstabbing" thing tends to happen wherever you work, whether it be an office, a laboratory, a supermarket, basically anywhere where there are a lot of people. It just really grinds my gears when people who clearly have a problem just don't confront the person so that there is a chance of some resolution, but instead just ***** about them to a third party instead. [/end rant] ... I sort of went off on one there didn't I? I am looking forward to the microbiology job though, I did a couple of modules in microbiology at university so I am looking forward to building up that knowledge alongside my Chemistry and Biochemistry knowledge.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I work in a starup incubator and the space is super modern, colourful, open, creative and invigorating!
Coming from a grey and beige 1980s style office the environment is incredibly refreshing.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
never been an office worker but every time i walk into the office i am fucking mesmerized by how little work they do

me: moves 2 ton worth of shit by hand. goes into office
office: checking facebook

me:asks when you get a chance i need to update my superannuation (401k?)
office: 3 weeks later paper work hasn't arrived. 2 weeks later tell me to get it online.

me:spends lunch break doing paper work after loading and unloading a dozen trucks due to inventory division fuckup
office: spends work period talking about their weekend. takes long lunch.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Artina89 said:
I still work in a laboratory as a biochemist, but I am moving into the microbiology department in the New Year where the people are a lot more laid back and forthright as you put it, but the department I currently work all the knives come out when someone leaves the room. It's just that the whole "backstabbing" thing tends to happen wherever you work, whether it be an office, a laboratory, a supermarket, basically anywhere where there are a lot of people. It just really grinds my gears when people who clearly have a problem just don't confront the person so that there is a chance of some resolution, but instead just ***** about them to a third party instead. [/end rant] ...
How many people work at your place that social politics gets that bad? o_O

Suddenly reminds me... both at school, and now at work, I'm in that ever so slightly uncomfortable position of being directly between staff/management and students/grunts. A difficult juggle... :/

I sort of went off on one there didn't I?
Did it help?! :D

I am looking forward to the microbiology job though, I did a couple of modules in microbiology at university so I am looking forward to building up that knowledge alongside my Chemistry and Biochemistry knowledge.
Cool... still thinking of moving on to post-grad research?

That's a fair point, though... what project are you actually working on atm?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Because of "PC Load Letter". The f**k does that s**t even mean, anyway?

I could list a lot more that annoy me, but I'd rather let a more active person do it:

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Guy from the 80 said:
I will go first :

-Because when you go to the toilet, and as you open up the door in to the toilet, you are not sure if you should breath with my nose or mouth.

-As you have entered the toilet and sit down....the toilet seat is still warm. Yes, thats someone ass you are feeling.

-The last person didn't use the toilet brush.

Ok...now you go!
Wait.. Working in an office sucks because you have to share a bathroom with people?

I can't think of a single workplace environment where you don't have to do that.
Unless you are working from home, or you're super rich and have a private workplace bathroom.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
...Because the air conditioning system is out of order!

*Rimshot*

Seriously, though, you might recall that while Dilbert is a comic strip taken to ridiculous extents, it is an exaggeration of office life based upon how bad office life can actually be, with a fair few of the cases happening in the comic actually being TRUE. Aside from being funny as hell, ask yourself why it's so popular. Answer: Because alot of the readers can RELATE.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Because even though it seems like we don't have a lot of work to do... in reality, the work just keeps piling up until it's so daunting you simply shut down. There is always something you could be doing... but there is no goal. There is no finish, there are not checkpoints where you can stop and see how far you've come. You can't finish and congratulate yourself and then start a new project with new people in new places and new ideas. Nope, you just come in every day, sit down at your desk, and do the same thing you did yesterday. The same thing you will do tomorrow. The same thing you will be doing in 10 years.

I dream of being so injured that I can't physically go to work anymore. I really, actually dream of somehow getting on disability.