World Cup 2010

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Who's psyched?

I love the World Cup, have since I was a little fella watching Gascoine, Schillichi, Maradona and Cascarino...

I'm hoping for a win from Spain or Holland, I enjoy both those teams. I also hope France get knocked out early and Thierri Henri gets booed off the pitch (apologies French Escapists... Irish man here, I still love your country)

So who are the Escapists rooting for?

Feel free to discuss the various games on this thread.

Who do you want to win? Who do you want to make an early exit?

Will the South African team do well? And will thier fans ever stop blowing those feckin' horns?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I love the World Cup and look forward to watching it. I recently watched USA and Australia go head-to-head which was a good game. Now USA has to go up against England but without Beckham!

Also, Groups F and G are NASTY. Go Italia!

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I don't really care about the World Cup. People in England get really worked up about it and it's all over the media. It starts to get pretty annoying. So I hope England get knocked out early, so everone will shut up about it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I do like the world cup, watching the SA/Mexico game right now, all I know is that after 20 minutes of it, those bloody horns are really starting to piss me off, its just constant, dont South Africans breathe in?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I'm very pumped about it, just like everyone else here in Germany seems to be. Normally I don't care about football, but this is different.

Oh, and Germany will win ;)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I'm quite excited about it.

I might not be really into the sport, but when the World Cup starts I just get overly excited about it.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I'm watching the South Africa/Mexico game right now, not really going for either team in this match, just glancing at the TV every few seconds and laughing whenever someone barely gets tapped and goes flying to the ground rolling around like a baby.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I sure am.
I used to be the biggest football fan and while my main passion right now is video games, I still love this sport.
However, this World Cup won't be as fun I reckon seeing how our national team completely failed the last qualification matches and ruined a perfect opportunity for us to go to South Africa.
MiracleOfSound said:
Who do you want to win? Who do you want to make an early exit?

Will the South African team do well? And will thier fans ever stop blowing those damn horns?
Win - probably England.
Early exit - France and Italy. No offense to either of the teams, but I still can't get over the fact that Italy somewhat won the last championship with the help of referee idiocy and France cheated their way onto this one.
South Africa will probably do alright, but won't make it out of the group.
And the horns sure are annoying, oh, and dangerous to health, aren't they?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Thunderhorse94 said:
I'm watching the South Africa/Mexico game right now, not really going for either team in this match, just glancing at the TV every few seconds and laughing whenever someone barely gets tapped and goes flying to the ground rolling around like a baby.
Sigh... it really has become atrocious in the last few years. That is why I will be so pissed off if I see Portugal win and that little whiney ***** Ronaldo gets to lift the world cup.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Best event in all of sports, of course I'm excited!

I won't sleep tonight with adrenaline going building up to US match tomorrow.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
USA!!
:) I actually want the USA to stun people and beat England. I think it will be interesting to see what people have to say if the US wins. (Most likely "it was LUCK!")

I'm also rooting for Holland!

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Thunderhorse94 said:
Sigh... it really has become atrocious in the last few years. That is why I will be so pissed off if I see Portugal win and that little whiney ***** Ronaldo gets to lift the world cup.
This is the first World Cup I'm hoping to pay close attention to because I was only 12 (if I remember correctly) during the last World Cup and would never be able to stay awake during the matches because they would play in the early hours of the mornings here.

Mexico keep missing so many shots! I can't hear the horns too much either because my TV volume is low but quite a few friends and people here are complaining about it.

GOAL GOAL GOAL oh shit it was offside. >.>

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
On the bright side, if Henri has to use his hands to cover his ears he's less likely to score.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I am hoping for a massive upset and the US to beat England tomorrow. That being said, reality takes over and hope England goes all the way.

The final winner will probably be Spain, though.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
On the bright side, if Henri has to use his hands to cover his ears he's less likely to score.
Ha, yeah, pretty much.
I'm guessing you're not too happy about it either, are you?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Going to end up watching, and getting quite into it, despite not being a major football fan. I guess I just buy into the spirit 'n' all.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
HK_01 said:
I'm very pumped about it, just like everyone else here in Germany seems to be. Normally I don't care about football, but this is different.
Stupid Germany. I've been preparing for the World Cup by playing through the 'International Cup' on PES with all the major teams, and the only one I can't win with is Germany. It's infuriating.

Of course, the designers leaving Ballack and Schweinsteiger (Sp?) out of the squad hasn't helped much...

Spinwhiz said:
I love the World Cup and look forward to watching it. I recently watched USA and Australia go head-to-head which was a good game. Now USA has to go up against England but without Beckham!
Oh no! Whatever will we do without Beckham?! Who will strike poses and wear women's clothing for our squad now? We're DOOOOOMED!

That said, the USA did beat Spain's A-team not all that long ago. Since that horrifying game against Japan, I'm just not putting any faith in England. They're ranked 5th worst in the tournament, and we only beat them because they scored two own goals. What the hell, England?

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Crayzor said:
I don't really care about the World Cup. People in England get really worked up about it and it's all over the media. It starts to get pretty annoying. So I hope England get knocked out early, so everone will shut up about it.
It's not just here in England, it is a world event which quite a lot of people get interested in. But I forget how cool it is to be non-conformist nowadays.