World of Darkness Not Dead

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
World of Darkness Not Dead

"Reports of our undeath have been greatly exaggerated."

While the bulk of EVE FanFest 2012 was directed at DUST 514 and EVE Online, a great deal of people were still curious for updates on CCP's third project, World of Darkness. So many people were curious, in fact, that the single panel discussing it was filled to the brim with people standing all the way into the hallway. The big question on all those lips: What was going to happen to the game? In light of fairly recent layoffs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113740-CCP-Refocuses-on-EVE-With-Big-World-of-Darkness-Layoff] from the team supposedly building the MMO set in the supernatural horror setting made famous with the tabletop role-playing games from White Wolf Publishing, the future of World of Darkness seemed bleak.

After assurances that the project was not dead, or undead as the case may be, Senior Producer Chris McDonough explained what the staff of 55 was working on and why so little has been said. The cut-backs happened because the team had grown too quickly before having proper goals in place, McDonough said, and CCP was juggling too many priorities at the time. Currently the World of Darkness team spends their time creating dev tools, designing the gameplay and starting with prototypes. They did not, however, want to feed any marketing hype until they really had something amazing to show, so don't expect to hear much more about World of Darkness any time soon.

A few interesting tidbits did sneak out during the panel's Q&A session. In addition to more standard MMO trappings like hand-to-hand combat, expect there to be a lot of emphasis on politics, sandbox control of cities and even fashion. The player can become the prince of a specific city, which will impart the ability to permanently kill another player, in addition to other powerful abilities. These cities will be stylized after real-world locations, but they will all exist on the single shard server structure that CCP is known for.

The game will be based on the old Vampire: The Masquerade game instead of the present edition, and the clans present a launch will resemble "the originals". This does however mean that the game will focus on getting vampires right first, and will not including other player-controlled characters from the setting like hunters, mages, werewolves, etc. The panels concluded with a sneak preview of some in-game footage of a small section of the cities planned for the game.

I don't have a ton of experience with the World of Darkness setting; it basically begins and ends with my high school self completely missing the point and cheesing my way through the combat system with an Assamite vampire heavily invested in celerity. The rich, dark setting is intriguing though, and I'm sure most everyone here will be glad to see a divergence from certain sparkly undead.

Currently, World of Darkness has no release date.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Yay! I was quite disappointed when I'd heard about the layoffs/restructuring before, but glad to see things are still back on track, albeit slowly.

I guess, I'll just have to play VTM:Bloodlines over and over again till it comes out. And WoW is getting...stale, if MoP doesn't hold my interest, I may end up looking for another MMO, and the idea that they plan to focus heavily on the social aspects of WoD intrigues me a lot, as I do fancy myself something of an RP'er, though...I've rarely been into 'Goth' stuff.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The Great JT said:
Personally I think they should just make a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
This. That's the only reason I'm in any way intrigued by this game.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Although my only experience with the setting is Bloodlines, this news makes me happy and I'm happy to wait until they have something worth while to show us.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of WoD or White Wolf, that said I've been paying some attention to this. My first thought here is that the abillity of one player to perma-kill another player's character, no matter how implemented, is soemthing that should not exist within any ongoing MMO structure. Likewise having a limited amount of space but allowing players to assume the role of "price" just means your going to wind up with a bunch of elitist jerks dominating each server and keeping everyone else down. While there is some precedence for this idea in the concept of WoD Vampires, in terms of gamability it's a nightmare.

I'll also be blunt in saying that in playing the games a bit, the Vampires are probably my least favorite faction. If the game is *only* Vampires, then the odds of me getting involved go down substantially. I'm enough of a fan of magic in games where I can get into the Tremere to some extent, but other than that I find little appealing in the setting, and in most "WoD" games as opposed to those based off of one of the properties I will generally play anything other than a Vampire, typically a Mage or Promethean (Golem) occasionally a Demon/Fallen Angel. Werewolves and Vampires and having them fight each other and little else generally makes me want to catch a nap.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
"Stories of our undeath are greatly exaggerated."

I was at that panel, this game is looking to be pretty good. The character permadeath bit seems a bit risky, even though you'll need to work your way up to a special position to do it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Celerity?

Noob. If your character can get out of bed of his/her own accord, you're playing it wrong!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ever since I fell out of contact with my DM and the group I played D&D with my opinion of P&P games is largely influenced by the lore, since I lack direct contact with the mechanics.
So to see this:
Slycne said:
The game will be based on the old Vampire: The Masquerade game instead of the present edition
Makes me very, very happy.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
After what I've learned of Eve online, I fear my longing to play another game in this universe will be shattered because of ultra grindy time hungry play...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Therumancer said:
I'm not a huge fan of WoD or White Wolf, that said I've been paying some attention to this. My first thought here is that the abillity of one player to perma-kill another player's character, no matter how implemented, is soemthing that should not exist within any ongoing MMO structure. Likewise having a limited amount of space but allowing players to assume the role of "price" just means your going to wind up with a bunch of elitist jerks dominating each server and keeping everyone else down. While there is some precedence for this idea in the concept of WoD Vampires, in terms of gamability it's a nightmare.

I'll also be blunt in saying that in playing the games a bit, the Vampires are probably my least favorite faction. If the game is *only* Vampires, then the odds of me getting involved go down substantially. I'm enough of a fan of magic in games where I can get into the Tremere to some extent, but other than that I find little appealing in the setting, and in most "WoD" games as opposed to those based off of one of the properties I will generally play anything other than a Vampire, typically a Mage or Promethean (Golem) occasionally a Demon/Fallen Angel. Werewolves and Vampires and having them fight each other and little else generally makes me want to catch a nap.
I agree with both of your points.

The ability of a PC Prince to perma-kill someone does not sound like a good idea at all, unless there's more to it to balance it out, like some kind of sacrifice they have to make to do so.

And I'm not too into the vamps myself, although they're far and away the most popular of the WoD factions. I'd love to play a Werewolf or a Mage, though, if they're added later.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
I'm actually intrigued by the permakill power. One presumes there's more to it than simply a 'This guy. Die now.'

So the result would presumably be: A player amasses a power base. This power base rallies around him, elects him prince. (They also mentioned, as I understand it, that Princes are voted for. That's pretty anti-thematic, but I see where it's going.) If you're not in that clique? Well, run and hide, boyo. Or weasel your way in. Or start building a new clique, but do it very, very quietly.

That's VERY classic Vampire: The Masquerade politics, there, and it's a very clever idea. Provided the 'run and hide' is a viable option, then I think it could be very interesting in play.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
The ability of a PC Prince to perma-kill someone does not sound like a good idea at all, unless there's more to it to balance it out, like some kind of sacrifice they have to make to do so.
As I understand it, and I could be drastically wrong. The Prince is always vulnerable to permadeath. In turn, he can declare blood hunts (at least I think it's blood hunts) on other Vampires. If they die while targeted by it they suffer a permadeath.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yes, the ability in question is the prince's right to call Blood Hunts on other vampires. So think of it more like the prince authorizing someone's death or putting a bounty on them and less like a push button to perma-kill player.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
I love the idea and have been following news and looking forward to more info...

Im not sure whether I think they can pull it off or not, though. I love Malkavians, but on the other hand I can imagine a server full of nerds trying to roleplay a Malkavian and it being completely immersion breaking and stupid.

Although I guess I can always go Nos and hide in the sewers like IamLEAM suggests :)

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Sounds pretty interesting, looking forward to hearing more about this. I've never really played Vampire before (I mean the Tabletop RPG. I've played Bloodlines), but I've always found the lore and concept pretty interesting.
Also, on that point:
Slycne said:
The game will be based on the old Vampire: The Masquerade game instead of the present edition.
YES!

Slycne said:
Yes, the ability in question is the prince's right to call Blood Hunts on other vampires. So think of it more like the prince authorizing someone's death or putting a bounty on them and less like a push button to perma-kill player.
That makes the idea seem a lot more balanced than how the article made it out to be some kind of "DIE NOW"-button.

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
This is one of the only MMO's I'd be interested as I absolutly love the setting. While I doubt it will be as good as a solid pen and paper game I am more than willing to put my faith in this.