World of Warcraft: A Religion?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
World of Warcraft: A Religion?

To say that hardcore WoW players are fanatics is one thing, but to call them religious is another. That's what a graduate student at the University of Colorado is arguing, though.

Citing the French sociologist Danil Hervieu-Lger's definition of religion, Theo Zijderveld [http://www.theozijderveld.com/joomla/] argues that though World of Warcraft isn't a religion proper, it certainly contains the four key ingredients: community, ethics, culture and emotion. The communal aspect, Zijderveld says, comes from playing with people and making friends within the game. As for the ethics, the rules of the game (and presumably the rules of the community) constitute that. "Thou shalt not ninja loot" being a rough equivalent of "Thou shalt not steal," I'm guessing. The rich Warcraft lore and mythos provide the culture, and the feeling of belonging that WoW players experience in-game provides the emotional dimension.

The act of playing a character in WoW, or in other virtual worlds like Second Life, Zijderveld argues in his paper "Cyberpilgrims [http://www.theozijderveld.com/cyberpilgrims/index.php]," is a way of acting out a quest for enlightenment and spiritual identity in a supremely secular world. "You have to level up as a way of self-realization," he explained. "It can be very spiritual."

Though a virtual space like WoW is ultimately not real, Zijderveld would say that that very fact makes it even more like a religion. Religion is based in illusions and fictions, but the important part is that even though people may know it's not real, they experience it that way. "Though virtual realities are in fact not real, they are experienced as real," he writes. Like religion, "they offer a framework that makes sense by offering a narrative and rules of the game...People can experiment and develop their cyber-character, and thus contribute to sef-realization. In an enchanted virtual world, they can truly find a spiritual identity."

[Via ColoradoDaily [http://www.worldofwar.net/blog/comments/could-wow-be-consider-a-religion/]]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I think WoW lacks a key thing that all religions should have...

Belief and Faith, I don't really see how belief and faith can enter into World of Warcraft.

In all honesty though I wonder if anyone can prove me wrong on that...Is there belief and faith in Warcraft?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That's definitely an interesting way to look at it...

While I won't argue that WoW fanatics are as terrifying as religious fanatics, I really can't believe that Wow players believe that the game is the truth.

I mean, isn't that what religion is? An idea that a group of people hold as the truth.

I wonder how many people take the WoW lore as the truth? That would be kind of creepy, actually.

Lord_Of_Plum

Apr 5, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:

Belief and Faith, I don't really see how belief and faith can enter into World of Warcraft.

In all honesty though I wonder if anyone can prove me wrong on that...Is there belief and faith in Warcraft?
This is why I would say it's not a religion, but a community. Faith is the basis of religion.

Although I also wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Again I'd say religion isn't about what people hold as truth. I think belief is a MORE important aspect than something like truth.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Hrm...I'm not sure WoW is a religion in the Christian sense of one, but it mimics other older religions. The core foundation is always going to be creating a community of like-minded people and the game certainly does that.

The thing it's missing is creating a code of conduct that governs activity in the real world as well as the fake one. For as much as WoW is coercing behavior online, it isn't doing much for people offline except "I gotta go play WoW more". When the game can get me to donate to the poor, kick puppies, or whatever because it is coercing conduct out of me in both realms, then it'll be a religion.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Counting down days untill we are officialy in the same category as Al Quada because we aren't christian by definition.

My bet is ~120 days.

Mythnomer

Aug 15, 2008
The fact that he "thinks" WoW players play the game for self-realization and spiritual identity says more about him than the players themselves.

Either he really doesn't understand MMORPG players and video game players in general or he really believes that to be true. If it's the latter I can honestly say I'm more afraid of him than any hardcore WoW player.

Edit: Or more precisely I'm very afraid of the WoW players he observed that caused him to form that opinion.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
This is just freakin' rediculous, but sadly, makes sense to an extent... some people let their lives get devoured by religion, some people let there lives get devoured by WoW.

-_-' *sigh*

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
I don't see it as a religion because essentially there's no belief structure - there are rules to the game but they're more guidelines than the Ten Commandments. No moral imperative is present, and I deeply wish there was to smack some of the dickheads on the server in line. True, there are fans who get really wound up in the game and rabidly defend it, but that in itself doesn't meet a faith.

In summary, fanboy does not equal faithful.

Besides, there's no omnipotent figure/concept to pledge yourself to, which isn't a major criteria for a religion but does usually get involved at some point. The AI director of Left 4 Dead on the other hand, however ...

mangus

Jan 2, 2009
Faction alignment is closer to a religion... you should see some of the persecution that goes on based solely on whether you go with Horde or those inferior alliance curs.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
I came in here expecting to present my paper on: Why calling WoW players addicts without ever playing or properly experiencing it is wrong.

But actually it's not a bad way at looking at it though, although without a set belief it fails as being a proper religion. The fact that it is split into 2 major factions is also a bit of a hindrance, I mean the fact that they openly war with each other and hate each other intensely (not just different beliefs with a lil' hate) and when you consider the fact that the culture is created by NPC's just adds a whole new level of weird to the idea of it being a religion.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:

I agree with you on that.

I guess if anything you could say WoW very often has a strict hierarchy (guilds levels, character levels, blizzard employees etc.) So you need to have faith in the people above you to treat you right and help you through the game, just like they demand you treat them with respect. That's very far fetched though.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Tenmar said:
Except at the end of the day someone always ends up breaking thy holy commandment "Thou shall not ninja loot" because they do not really care about the raid.
Yet so many believe they're going to get good stuff by raiding.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Lord_Of_Plum said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

This is why I would say it's not a religion, but a community. Faith is the basis of religion.

Although I also wouldn't mind being proved wrong.
Depends on your definition of faith or belief if we are just using the words as they are.
-A player believes they can get a specific item or experience or reward from killing an enemy
-A player has faith that the gms will do their job

If you are suggesting that faith and believe are synonymous concepts and involve trusting in something you cannot know then.

-You have faith that other people play WoW and you arn't just playing against sophisticated programs
-You have faith that there are GMs in the game even though the majority of players will never see one
-You have faith that a place known as GM island actualy exists even though in all likelyhood you will never see it

Sorry those were the best I could think of off the top of my head.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
belief and faith?

have you heard of the class called priest?

in conclusion, wow is a religion!