World of Warcraft Confirms Microtransactions

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Rossmallo said:
and seriously, if you have issues accumulating 50 Lesser Charms a week you're playing the game wrong.
Fucking seriously. You can't play the game without tripping over them. Dailies. Pet battles. Just killing mobs!

Oh, and the odds our monthly fee or the cost of the next expansion are gonna go down? Go try making a snowcone in hell, you'll have more luck.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Are they still going to keep the subscriptions anyway? It seems less like they're trying to solve the problem of people leaving and more like trying to commit suicide. No one in their right mind would join the game if that's the case.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Like I said in the last thread, I don't like this one bit. Yes WoW has had microtransactions for awhile with pets/mounts and recruit a friend offers even FASTER leveling but if anything that was mostly to get more subs and have friends play together. Now we're going to have people buying xp boosts and charms? What next? $50 and you can buy a full LFR set?

Hopefully it stays in the asian servers. If it does come over to NA I probably won't quit but the second they mention any sort of actual game improving item I'm out of here. I hope they don't cause I really do love this game.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm perfectly happy to play a game for free if the guys riding the mounts that move 5% faster and have 50 more polygons pay for it.

If WoW went f2p with micro I would play if the total cost to me was $5 in the months that I actually played.

Really these guys need to look at the DDO model, which in my opinion is the perfect f2p pricing method.

You can pay a subscription to "rent" everything, or pay for the content piecemeal but once you pay you own it as long as they keep the servers up.

Also your sub comes with in game currency so after subbing for x years (3 for ddo?) you will have enough to buy almost all the content. That is a great way to reward loyal subscribers and considering how high MMO churn is you really won't get that many that take advantage of the deal.

But the fact that it exists at all makes subscriptions that much more attractive.

RatherDashing89

Jan 11, 2013
TheEvilCheese said:
But that's always been limited to a handful of mounts and pets. Now it's going to be pay to level faster. And it's going to feel a lot more intrusive as more items are added.
Technically, you could already do that (in a roundabout way). Recruit-a-Friend gave ridiculous bonuses for getting a new player signed up or a retired player to return. I knew several fools who set up accounts with themselves, paying an extra $15 a month, just to get the faster leveling so they can skip more of the content they paid for. All they are doing is making the opportunities to waste your money more visible in the game, which is both an increase in convenience and an unforseen means of drawing unwanted attention to the fact that you are still paying $15 a month for a game with a Free-to-Play business model.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
seeing a LOT of hatred for this, but most people seem to be forgetting that they've had pointless vanity purchases for years, the only difference is now its in game rather than on a website. the xp buff and charms are a bonus i guess, but considering all new content is designed for end game anyway, they aren't things you'll even need. if anything it gives new players a way to catch up, similar to how heirlooms help people level alts.

all of that being said, i'm not a fan in the slightest. but then again, seeing as none of it affects end game it is a complete nonissue for me. the second they implement actual gear purchases though, i'm out.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Negatempest said:
So quick question, that was answered a few days ago, why should MMO's even make compelling quests anymore if the majority of players are just going to blow through them?

The reason, because Money.
Now the question has become: Why even buy the game if you're not going to play it?
Oh, what a tangled web we weave. :p

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Not been seriously into wow since Litch King, having played since day one i have mixed feelings about this, i mean buying a vanity item or a xp boost or even lower level gear to help you level quicker is all well and good and i don't have a problem with it ( hell i have done it i have created a second account to get a nether rocket and would quite happily buy XP boosts in the secret world until i AP capped).

What they need to look out for is buying too many short cuts, yes in our modern busy lives its not possible to play like crazy like many of us used to we have jobs lives responsibilities ect. But if you short cut too much to get to the "real game" of the raids and end game pvp then you miss the journey and that is where the fun is. Make the whole game the real game.

Short cutting to the end will only make the problem the game has at the moment worse where they have to churn out more and more and more content faster and faster because they make the journey to that content so short or none existent that people have nothing to work at, burn through the content super fast and then have nothing to do.

Overall i don't have a problem with some of this just be mindful blizzard where this could lead and how it could impact your game.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
If it screws gold sellers and bot hackers out of their money then i see it as a good thing.

Considering the monumental amount of time you need to spend on leveling some characters, its not a bad thing.

I quit WOW years ago, but if i wanted to play again id have to grind like a lunatic to become useful to a guild, if i cared enough i think i'd rather spend 5 Euro on XP potions than 40 hours of life.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RatherDashing89 said:
TheEvilCheese said:
But that's always been limited to a handful of mounts and pets. Now it's going to be pay to level faster. And it's going to feel a lot more intrusive as more items are added.
Technically, you could already do that (in a roundabout way). Recruit-a-Friend gave ridiculous bonuses for getting a new player signed up or a retired player to return. I knew several fools who set up accounts with themselves, paying an extra $15 a month, just to get the faster leveling so they can skip more of the content they paid for. All they are doing is making the opportunities to waste your money more visible in the game, which is both an increase in convenience and an unforseen means of drawing unwanted attention to the fact that you are still paying $15 a month for a game with a Free-to-Play business model.
You can also buy heirlooms in game which increase xp gains pretty significantly, and they're ridiculously cheap. There's also a world item that increase your xp by 300%. There's also world events constantly that give you increased xp amounts.

Anyone who whines about the extra xp part is just a dolt. Levelin in WoW is so fast that its ridiculous. If you play a Monk you can literally hit max level in 6 hours, total, if you have any idea what you're doin.

The part that worries me is the lesser charms. You only need 50 a week on each character (and need is a really really strong word, at best you get 3 extra chances for loot on bosses a week, whoopie?) and its piss easy to get them in game to the point that I'm usually done farmin them incidentally while I'm havin fun in pet battles after less than an hour. However its the most tangible benefit from Blizzard that you'll be able to pay for, even if its actual benefit is pretty meaningless.

On the flip side, it will be really really nice to be able to buy and gift pets and mounts directly from the game instead of doin it through the battle.net site.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Aaaaaand my account's cancelled again. Funny, after two years I thought they'd be tired of jerking people around. I came back afterall this time for this to happen? Screw you Activision.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I blame Vivendi for this one. With so many people hands out towards Blizzard, I don't really blame them for looking for quick-fix solutions.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
TheEvilCheese said:
I don't think EXP boosters should ever be a microtransaction in an MMO. Leveling up should be FUN (as wow has been) not a race to the end.
Leveling up usually IS fun the 1st time around, maybe even the 2nd, but the 3rd or 4th time? Not so much.

I'm willing to bet that people who buy XP boosters tend to be those who want to have one max leveled character of each class (or equivalent thereof)

Kalezian said:
Just wait, soon they will make all monsters and quests give only 1 or 2 xp each, unless you spend X amount in their in-game shop buying items that boost XP by 5000%.
And soon after that, Corporate Stormtroopers will be kicking down your doors to kill non-WoW players! (see, I can pull bullshit scenarios out my ass and act like they have a chance of happening too!)

It's been said before, there have been DOZENS of XP boosters (like Herilooms) before this, and the game hasn't turned into "1XP per quest/monster" yet (practically the opposite)

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Kevlar Eater said:
As I read the article, storm clouds have begun to form outside.

I'm kind of expecting a Horus Heresy level shitstorm from the WoW forums.
This is the 2nd time ive seen that on fhis site. What riots where therd? Im a war40k fan so id like to know. Couldnt find on google. Unless your talking about the actual lore itself lol.

And yeah this sucks, I just came back to wow from am4 month break. And yes, these are optional purchases, but once its implimented who is go say they wont remove xp boosting gearso you Have to buy the boost?
The last time, It was just a datamined spell effect.

Now it's been confirmed.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Rossmallo said:
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Kevlar Eater said:
As I read the article, storm clouds have begun to form outside.

I'm kind of expecting a Horus Heresy level shitstorm from the WoW forums.
This is the 2nd time ive seen that on fhis site. What riots where therd? Im a war40k fan so id like to know. Couldnt find on google. Unless your talking about the actual lore itself lol.

And yeah this sucks, I just came back to wow from am4 month break. And yes, these are optional purchases, but once its implimented who is go say they wont remove xp boosting gearso you Have to buy the boost?
The last time, It was just a datamined spell effect.

Now it's been confirmed.
It was confirmed a while ago. The only thing they confirmed now was that it would be from an in-game store instead of on the battle.net site, also that they were possibly lookin into the lesser charm thing.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Some info is showing up on forums regarding what to expect out this store. For example:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7763486854?page=4#61

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm hoping this means cheaper/no sub fee eventually (I doubt it; greedy Blizzard).

I'm also hoping this doesn't make my friends stop playing. Or if they do stop playing, they jump ship to an MMO I enjoy a lot and they play. I don't want to be alone...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Lesser coins are easy to get, all you need to do is Isle of Thunder daily quests twice a week. That's like 30 minutes a week AND you make gold. I fail to see how it was an issue before.

You could argue that the experience boost would be ok, but with the amount of heirloom gear there is, it's not exactly the issue. The real issue involving EXP comes with the fact that heirloom gear, though bound to your Battle.net account, cannot be transferred cross realm.

I can see this experience boost thing being a answer to fact I can't send my heirloom gear to a different server, but that's not really a solution. Why can't they just make it transferable? Either this is flat out greed or massive oversight.

Edit: Before people start shouting end of the world, keep in mind that all of these things, aside from not even existing in the game yet, are optional.