World of Warcraft Legion Initial Thoughts - Give Us A Reason To Log In Again

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Karadalis said:
I agree. There are so many reasons for the subscriber base shrinking this rapidly, and it's not (just) age.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
TBH Escapist, you failed to get a panel of "experts" talking about WoW's announced expansion.
Question for you: I've never played a minute of it. Is it too late to start? How would I? Can I start with the expansion? Is there a base game to purchase?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Naldan said:
Karadalis said:
I agree. There are so many reasons for the subscriber base shrinking this rapidly, and it's not (just) age.
I agree as well. I stopped playing WoW because of Comcast, but I am never going to start playing again out of pocket (I can afford one month in gold should I start to play again) if things keep going the way they have been. WoW was definitely at its peak in WotLK when it felt like you were actually doing something productive. The characters all had attention, the game wasn't dumbed downed, and the game felt alive. Now it feels like Blizzard just rushed out beautiful yet empty content instead of improving what already existed. When I say "improving what already existed" I do not mean Cataclysm.

Ultimately the world feels empty and the end-game outside of raiding is non-existent. The game is set up in such a way where crafting is dull, you can't engross yourself into the economy or your trade skills, and there is nothing you can invest in. The Garrison sort of fixed the investment part but it was shallow and it didn't really feel like you built anything when all you did was do storyline quests to get there.

If anyone is able to merge WoW's lore, FFXIV's graphical and audio fidelity, and Runescape 2007's trade skill range and economy I can almost guarantee it will be the best MMO ever made.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I stopped playing WoW because I couldn't stand the community. They weren't helpful in the least, much less nice. How this game ever reached 12 million with the kind of unwelcoming, sometimes outright hostile people that inhabit it, I will never understand. Taken from friends who entered the game during Draenor, this has not changed since I left. I'll stick to ESO, where I am a member of 3 guilds, one of which is solely dedicated to crafting and trading, is generous with materials, has weekly drawings, and is generally a fun group of people to be around.

MalkavianLunatic

Nov 8, 2010
I don't think I can adequately explain how disappointed I was that the big bad of the new expansion is... *drumroll*... the damned Burning Legion. Again. It feels to me like Blizzard is just rehashing its own ideas, over and over again. If not the Burning Legion, then it's Orcs, if not Orcs then it's Zandalari Trolls. What's the next expansion going to be? World of Warcraft: Lich? I'm just tired of it, I guess.

The Garrisons were a grind and felt like nothing more than busy work. The community feels like it's becoming more toxic by the day. LFR would probably be fine if everyone didn't immediately ragequit at the first wipe. It's become a slog that doesn't feel worth the $15 subscription fee. I find it sad since WoW has very rich lore and has been fun in the past.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Gorfias said:
TBH Escapist, you failed to get a panel of "experts" talking about WoW's announced expansion.
Question for you: I've never played a minute of it. Is it too late to start? How would I? Can I start with the expansion? Is there a base game to purchase?

I think WoW is free up to Level 20 or so. You should be able to download the game from BattleNet and give it a try.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Naldan said:
Jaeke said:
It's just not the same game I played the first time around.
Would you've prefered the exact same content all over again? I mean this without any sarcasm.

I think WoW should have evolved and expanded on its strengths, and for once keeping promised features. I quit at a similar time for similar reasons, but I don't think that it shouldn't have evolved.

Which it did, a bit. But in the most wrong way, except that it didn't go F2P, yet.

I'm curious, would you have kept playing if they, let's say, released 4 raids on release, 8 5-man-dungeons, more of the same BGs? I was asking that myself and I think I would have quit anyway, just a little later probably.

edit: I mean per expansion.
What I mean is a factor that you can't mechanically design in a videogame, at least not with numbers and lines of code. It's just the sense of exploration and "everything is new" the first time you play through a game. It's a lot more prevalent in your gaming life when you are at a young age.

WAY too idealistic without any actual solution and not an opinion to be taken seriously but, at least it's one shared by a LOT of others.

At least I finally get to have my Demonhunter I've been waiting for for a decade.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Jaeke said:
What I mean is a factor that you can't mechanically design in a videogame, at least not with numbers and lines of code. It's just the sense of exploration and "everything is new" the first time you play through a game. It's a lot more prevalent in your gaming life when you are at a young age.

WAY too idealistic without any actual solution and not an opinion to be taken seriously but, at least it's one shared by a LOT of others.

At least I finally get to have my Demonhunter I've been waiting for for a decade.
Well, this is exactly what xpacks are supposed to deliver. You could measure the quality of an xpack by the duration of this feeling alone, if it's imprtant to you.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
As said above, not surprised by the Legion coming back, and this has the feel of a last significant expansion. The biggest enemy ever will be dealt with for good (let's get real, considering what WOW brought us before, there's a real chance the bad guys will manage to bring back Sargeras as THE end boss), and then there won't be much of importance left to do. With the shrinking player base, that's kind of expected - better wrap up the key parts when there's still people playing it.
If it's the last solid expansion, that will also give Blizzard more leeway, and they can decide to kill off some big characters that they wouldn't have killed earlier - including faction bosses if needed. They said this expansion would hit players hard, so I expect several big names to bite it (Sylvanas, Illidan and Thrall for instance, and Anduin possibly).

Ron: I think the change to the honor system is a much needed one. Not so much because the prestige idea is awesome, but more because the design of this system looks to finally give Blizzard a tool to start balancing PvE and PvP on a separate basis. This is something that's been needed for year, as balance changes to either one have had unforeseen consequences in the other.
So much this about being sick and tired of changes made for PVP that fuck up PVE stuff, or the other way around. They should've made up their minds years ago about which was more important, or found a way to make sure that fixing PVP balances wouldn't impact PVE, or PVE changes wouldn't screw PVP.

Karadalis said:
WoD showed the lack of passion blizzard has for WoW.. rushed, content cut, abandoned before the last (and sadly only) content patch...
Made painfully obvious by the maps of Draenor you actually have in your garrison and all over the place, showing Faralhon continent up NE and a big island South of Nagrand.
About being the big NPC hero's helper, this seems to change at long last. You were at his level in WOD, since you basically were the general of the expeditionary force, but now, with many prominent leaders of Azeroth being possibly killed during the Legion's invasion (I mean, you can get Doomhammer or Ashbringer as artefact, so I doubt their owners will be able to kick ass long into this expansion) and you being the world's head of your class's order, you might be the biggest badass around at long last.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Halyah said:
blizzard already stated outright via the naaru that Anduin is gonna be playing some big role whenever they make Sargeras into the biggest raid boss ever in some distant future.
Hmmm, I must have missed that - unless it was in some later part of Draenor.
But still, with the "biggest invasion of the Legion ever", taking place at the Tomb of Sargeras, and with Anduin a major character who will have a bitter experience/choice to win the peace, I wouldn't rule out that this is what they have in store for the last bit patch of WOW 7.X.
And really, were I Blizzard, I'd begin to ponder what should/could be the starting situation for a Warcraft 4, or (unlikely) a WOW II.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
At least two of these WoW "players" are confused about Demon Hunters being melee? Umm, couldn't The Escapist find anyone in the office who had the slightest clue about Warcraft.

Illidan, and other Demon Hunters have featured in Warcraft lore for years, always using a pair of Glaives in melee range.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Oh dear...

Just wanted to chime in here for some clarification. I hadn't really expected WarCraft folks to in any way agree with my sentiment re: D3 Demon Hunters in WoW, but I hadn't anticipated this. Don't get me wrong here, I certainly don't begrudge anybody for wanting to keep franchises/universes separate.

Rest assured, both Janelle and I have been playing WarCraft since the mid 90s. I dabbled in the first, but played 2 and 3 plus expansions way too much. I also cited Illidan as one of my favorite lore characters, and promise you that I know about WarCraft universe's DH vs D3's DH class. Janelle does, too.

I didn't elaborate on my point because it was a brief Q&A thing, but having watched subscribers dwindle for years now, I think Blizz has tapped out the WarCraft fanbase by this point. All I meant was that if they were to cater to non-WarCraft folks, they might have more luck boosting subs. That's all. I promise.

As to Janelle's comment, it's more a matter of existing commitment to the D3 DH class than ignorance of WarCraft character/lore. She's sunk circa 300 hours into her D3 DH. She's also got roughly the same crisis-inducing /played on WoW that I do. Unlike me, she's actually taken down Illidan in WoW. What she's never done is play an alt, and a melee DH isn't going to change that. Whereas a D3-esque DH class addition might be what it takes to convince her to make an alt.

Also, fun fact. I'd never actually looked into what glaives were, historically speaking. They're apparently more Halberd than Chakram. There's no situation in which an actual, historical glaive could have been used as a ranged weapon. With or without magical boomerang properties. Who knew?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Travis Fischer said:
Gorfias said:

I think WoW is free up to Level 20 or so. You should be able to download the game from BattleNet and give it a try.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Honestly, this expansion, just like WoD, does not make me want to re-install WoW and boot up my old account. If anything, this is a knee jerk reaction. They dropped below 5 million subscribers. FFXIV's Heavensward has gone up to 7.3 million subscribers. Blizzard is in panic mode right now. And this expansion will be just as half baked, with an equally stupid attempt at trying to reboot the lore THEY destroyed in hopes of getting people to return.

WoD was a very short lived expansion. Only 2 major content patches? Really? ARR at least had 5 major content patches that added far far more than Blizzard ever put in a major content patch. And according to some reviews on youtube, Blizzard began doing what EA loves to do. Delete threats with negative criticism and leaving only white knight threads. I cannot say if the multiple videos are true or not, as I haven't been to WoW's forums since april 2013. But I'm inclinded to believe Activision-Blizzard is following Electronic Art's style.

So my initial reaction at this legion expansion was to roll my eyes. Many of my friends who were playing WoW on the side, are saying forget that game now.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I went back to play for a bit with the last expansion, hoping for some new life, I was wrong, same old grindy shit with irritating dickheads in instances and raids.
I don't have any interest in this one whatsoever. Guess I've grown out of WOW for good this time.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Legion is certainly looking pretty good to me, but what will really make a difference is how Blizzy supports it once it's launched. When WoD was launched, many were calling it WoW's best expansion yet, but Blizzy's lack of support and overall lack of content led to the biggest sub drop in WoW's history.