World of Warcraft Player Reaches Level 90 Without Choosing a Faction

Bindal

May 14, 2012
rofltehcat said:
So what is his /played? I'd expect it to be massive. He must have spent years of his life time on that.
Less than two years, in fact. He started September 2012.

Majinash

May 27, 2014
Antitonic said:
So it's really "WoW Player reaches new level cap with existing character." That's much less impressive. :p
Incorrect. No one ever hit a previous level cap with a neutral character. Pandas were only added in the most recent expansion, and the level cap for this expansion is 90. This is a world first. Congrats to him.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Antitonic said:
Eve Charm said:
So is this the same guy that first did this in the lower level caps or is this a new guy. The lengths people will go to for 15 mins of fame.
Escapist says yes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126640-WoW-Player-Hits-Level-60-Without-Picking-a-Faction

So it's really "WoW Player reaches new level cap with existing character." That's much less impressive. :p
Technically, he never reached the level cap until now. He reached what was previously the old level cap, which is still impressive. It's not like he just had a level 60 lying around and then suddenly got all the expansions. (For anyone who doesn't know, Kung-Fu-Pandaren were added along with the level cap increase to 90)

I remember hearing once that when an expansion came out in WoW, the experience needed to go from the old level cap to the new one is the same as from level 1 to the old level cap (I have no idea if this is true beyond when Burning Crusade first came out). If it does hold true, he's gonna be at it a while getting to 100 when WoD comes out.

This seems like an extension of the [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LordBritishPostulate" ]Lord British Posulate[/URL]. We need a rule for more general things though, like what this guy did (since he didn't murder a non-murderable NPC).

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
Wow, what a horrible waste of time. I seriously feel sorry for them if they really put that much time into it. Sure it's an achievement but not one that they should be proud of.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Granfaloon said:
Wow, what a horrible waste of time. I seriously feel sorry for them if they really put that much time into it. Sure it's an achievement but not one that they should be proud of.
A waste of time for you, surely.. me? yes it would also be. But not your or anyone else's place to say it's a waste of his time, and tell him he shouldn't be proud of his accomplishment.

You don't know him, don't know his life, or his mental or physical situation. Give the guy a break, and grow the fuck up. If it doesn't interest you, then stay away, don't insult random people because something doesn't gel with you if they aren't hurting anyone.

Fuck me, the arrogance of people and their complete disregard for civility and modesty astounds me.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
RealRT said:
Wow, that's... so unremarkable. Why is this in news again?
Its an oddity, a curious bit of information thats just happened. Same reason most things end up in the news.

The same query could be turned on you - why did you bother commenting again? :p

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
At least he... had fun? I'm guessing he has other characters to play the rest of the game with, otherwise he must be sick to death of that starting area.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Eh... it's his money and time. If this was what made him happy, that's cool I guess...

I suppose it's no different than the (literally) hundreds of times I run Brayflox's Longstop Hard Mode a week in order to gear up a class in Final Fantasy XIV. My roommate cannot fathom why I would do this, although she is not at the end-game yet and doesn't quite understand that it's the fastest way to farm Myth and Soldiery tomestones to acquire aforementioned gear.

Shim3d

Nov 20, 2011
So $300 and countless hours later? It's impressive but so pointless I feel a bit depressed now.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Cool. I was pretty annoyed when I found out that pandas were required to pick a side after a certain point (waste of a "neutral" faction, I thought), so something like this?

Such an incredibly patient act of passive-aggression takes a running leap at the wall of pointless, only to vault over into something awesome. I unsarcastically salute you, sir!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I feel Blizzard will make a one-off Feat of Strenght or Achievement for this guy.
Probably with a Title, Mount or Companion pet to go along with that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
rofltehcat said:
So what is his /played? I'd expect it to be massive. He must have spent years of his life time on that.
Quite a long time, but the number of mining/herb drops in The Wandering Isle is distressingly high and they respawn quite frequently. I managed to get one of my Pandaren to level 10 by the time you're supposed to be level 6 because of it. If he tried it in any other starting zone he'd be in for an even longer haul.

OT: I certainly hope he's get something for the effort.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Good lord, I know a lot of escapist users like to pretend they have the whole "cool intellectual cynic" shtick but there comes a point when you just appear bitter and miserable. I don't see how this particular instance is any more a waste of time than any and all time sunk into any game ever.

MegaGame

Sep 27, 2013
Mr.K. said:
You could have also put down the 60 bucks and saved yourself two years and $300 worth of tedium.
no you cant, as the news says, if you paid to hit max, you are forced to pick a side.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
That's pretty funny. To all the detractors, I find this more interesting than the "You should be hyped for x game!" news that usually does the rounds.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Carsus Tyrell said:
Good lord, I know a lot of escapist users like to pretend they have the whole "cool intellectual cynic" shtick but there comes a point when you just appear bitter and miserable. I don't see how this particular instance is any more a waste of time than any and all time sunk into any game ever.
Agreed.

"Why bother?"

"Because I can."

Good enough for me. It isn't doing any harm and people say a lot of the Pokemon stuff I do isn't worth the time and effort. I have fun my way, he does his. That's fine.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Dunno how he is going to do more in warlords as he'll still be in the starting area - total waste of time dedication or not.
Rewarding him for not completing content that has been painstakingly created by the devs over a series of long years seems stupid at best.
Would have been annoying for any new players, with a high level character nicking all the ore/herbs whilst they are trying to level up too.