World of Warcraft Slips Further

PPB

May 25, 2009
I'm always a bit surprised to see how many people cite Diablo 3 as an alternative. WoW and Diablo 3 are completely different games. Sure there is some overlap and it's safe to assume that many WoW fans like the Diablo series and vice versa, but Diablo 3 is not designed to provide the same experience at all. People on WoW forums frequently say they're quitting the game as soon as Diablo 3 comes out, but unless they've played the other games before I expect many of them will end up disappointed (which will likely lead to more forum whining from people who expected Diablo 3 to be WoW 2).

crunchpodx

Oct 19, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
crunchpodx said:
Good news is good. Wonder where they will go now that WoW no longer fits them. Hope they can rush it out the day ToR launches just to fuck with EA.
Where they will go? I do believe Diablo 3 is coming out soonish.
So is Skyrim; but they are both bandaids to the MMO solution. If they want an MMO skyrim or diablo will not garner all their attention. They will go to the new games but its not the MMO they would go to in order to get the grind fix the junkies need.
1. Skyrim ain't got nuffin' to do with blizzard

2. Diablo is multiplayer

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Attrition is a *****, but at the same time I haven't seen any huge changes in realm population. I live on a low pop server and we still have enough to PUG almost at any given moment.
WoW isn't going away yet folks, no matter how much some of you might wish it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
There will be more losses, especially when the servers are full of panda characters. They look so out of place.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Seventh Actuality said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Good news is good.
Rather missing how this is good news.
Because bashing WoW and MMOs is kewl, and more articles like this means more opportunities to look kewl in front of the internet!
Because it shows people are getting tired of WOW and leaving it instead of getting tired of it and staying to keep paying them while they complain about the game. Nothing to do with it being "kewl".

It is good news because some of the people that kept paying Blizzard while they cried about the game are leaving. Very good news indeed.

Also because getting WoW out of the way would allow for more MMOs to gain higher populations and this would mean more content for individual MMOs. That extra content will make other MMOs stand out instead of being in the shadow of the WoW template. Get more ideas into the open and we might get better MMOs released. Provided something just like WoW doesn't manage to our WoW WoW and replace it.
crunchpodx said:
crunchpodx said:
Good news is good. Wonder where they will go now that WoW no longer fits them. Hope they can rush it out the day ToR launches just to fuck with EA.
Where they will go? I do believe Diablo 3 is coming out soonish.
So is Skyrim; but they are both bandaids to the MMO solution. If they want an MMO skyrim or diablo will not garner all their attention. They will go to the new games but its not the MMO they would go to in order to get the grind fix the junkies need.
1. Skyrim ain't got nuffin' to do with blizzard

2. Diablo is multiplayer
1. Dosen't need to be
2. Still not the MMO that some of them will want.
With an auction house where you can buy stuff for real cash? Or that limited time offer that gives a free copy of Diablo 3 if you buy a one year subscription for WoW? Don't make me laugh.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Thats what happens when you charge $30 a month and charge more for anything worth getting in the game.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
My point on why this is good news: It might make some people shut up.

When Rift was released, I was happy to go there, just because I was through with WoW after playing it for nearly six years. But through the rift beta and its release up to the first content patch, the forums were always the same.

"WAH WAH WAH, I want a dungeon finder, WoW had one!"
"QQ i want cross server BGs, WoW had them!"
"WAAAAH, I want [random WoW feature], it was SO COOL ANY MMO NEEDS IT!"

If WoW finally breaks down other mmos might be save from all this crying for stuff WoW had.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
some of them might have got dates (oh come on someone had to do the geek/date/WoW joke!)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
So, in other words: Blizzard have gone down from making a fuckton of money to a shitload.
standard or metric tonnage?

i how ever, find this amusing, and rather hope it continues :)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
I mean after Deathwing, what's next?
Sargeras, the ultimate warcraft baddie, and potentially other titans.
Sargeras dwarfs Deathwing, being among those that created the aspects in the first place.
Then there's the Old Gods.
The ones we've fought so far have been recently awakened and still partially sealed, being mere shadows of their true selves.
And there's the current alliance and horde dipshit leaders that might create some new factions or somesuch.
etc.

Besides, Deathwing was always a pawn of the old gods to begin with.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
As a WoW-Player, I want to see what the numbers are for next quarter's increase. I've seen a huge spike in people returning to the game after the Diablo 3 deal announcement.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Denamic said:
buy teh haloz said:
Sargeras dwarfs Deathwing, being among those that created the aspects in the first place.
The ones we've fought so far have been recently awakened and still partially sealed, being mere shadows of their true selves.
And there's the current alliance and horde dipshit leaders that might create some new factions or somesuch.
etc.

And there's also the possibility of renewing interfaction war. Things have just been so damn peachy between the allies and the hordies lately.
Sylvanas looks like she's at the end of her rope and would be fun as a part of a new threat.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Erana said:
Denamic said:
buy teh haloz said:
etc.

And there's also the possibility of renewing interfaction war. Things have just been so damn peachy between the allies and the hordies lately.
Sylvanas looks like she's at the end of her rope and would be fun as a part of a new threat.
Naw, Sylvanas will remain the Forsaken leader.
She previously saw the forsaken merely as tools to throw away, and was going to commit suicide at icecrown when Arthas fell.
The Valkyries stopped her and made her find a new purpose in protecting her people.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Let's look on the bright side of this news: Blizzard has the opportunity to get some subscribers back if they're willing to listen to them. And maybe this is the point when they finally do?

First of all they should take their MMO more seriously and bring a more mature tone back into WoW. Yes, I know almost everything you do on a higher level is epic and stuff, but whenever I look a friend of mine over the shoulder there's always something cute, funny or adorable going on. Stop that and learn how to write drama. Doing epic things all the time gets old, too.

Maybe Blizard should think about starting special servers with vanilla rules. The expansions can stay, just make the game as demanding as it was around 'Burning Crusade'.

And get in Housing already. And Guild Halls. It can't be so complicated to implement both. Make Housing Items the new quests and design Guild Halls so that the leaders select one of various templates for basic decoration which can be extended by the members. Once in a while make a week of open houses where the guilds can present their halls, hold a PvP tournament indoors or pet battles with the guild members organizing drinks, food and entertainment. Maybe this would also tame some of the various antisocial players that roam Azaroth.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Just a question, but anyone got any theory on why the biggest decrease has been in China?

Could it be because of the Anti-internet camps? The ones that educate children to use the internet responsibly.