World of Warcraft Subscriptions Continue to Slide

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Xanthious said:
I don't know, I'm a six year veteran of WoW and for some reason Cataclysm just isn't "doing it" for me. I don't know what it is exactly but there just feels like something is missing. I know a lot of guild members are saying the same thing. We can't put our finger on it but something that was there in the previous three chapters just isn't there any longer.
You're just bored of it, while a lot of content has been added the game is still essentially the same.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
its nothing strnage. 5 years ago when there was either WOW or mostly awful mmorpgs with onyl few exeptions it was on the roll. but as there were HUGE amount of mmorpgs that are actually very good coming out in last two years the fanbase will move to better ones and forget wow. big factor in that is Level cap. when you have level cap your user will reach it and quit because theres no more goals. not everyone wants to collect 200 aesthetic hats they will never use *cough*TF2*cough*.

While on the other hand, The longest surviving mmorpg has no level or skill cap, and thus there are people with levels over 400 now :)

Robjes

Aug 12, 2009
DugMachine said:
Back when battlegrounds and doing dungeons was all WITHIN the server. You formed strong communities and had a great time. BC comes around and was a blast as well. They changed some things up and it was new and fresh. We loved it.
Hear hear, I thought the game was 100x times engaging when bg queues and dungeon were still on the server. And through that really getting to know the guilds and the players on your server.

And I loved the trash talking between ally and horde before a WSG weekend, all with a wink and in good sport, on the realm forums, then running WSG with a guild team and seeing familiar opponents: "oh darn were up against fizzle's team again! How were going to do this this time?". On mondays the trash talking after.
Extending from that, really having vendetta's on the server causing server PvP if two guilds met that had beef, mostly on route to the raid dungeons.

On our server there was the infamous Farq gnome killsquad hunting in silithus almost daily (Ahn'Qiraj period) that sometimes ignited in a full war between more then a hundred players.
Fun times everyone having a blast and really being engaged.
(http://farqtheorc.com/main.html)

The game wasnt better back then but there was tons more community feeling.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
if gothic 2 taught me anything it's the fact that it's never a good ideea to destroy an environment your fan base grew up in...

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Xanthious said:
I don't know, I'm a six year veteran of WoW and for some reason Cataclysm just isn't "doing it" for me. I don't know what it is exactly but there just feels like something is missing. I know a lot of guild members are saying the same thing. We can't put our finger on it but something that was there in the previous three chapters just isn't there any longer.
this to be fair is exactly how i feel, not been playing now for 5 ish months just started to have a go to see the new 1-60 content been playing since launch and although the game play and content is better than WOTLK there is something that i cannot put my finger on it.

I do miss the history and old feel that the 1-60 race ha pre 4.x it felt huge and epic.

EDIT

Robjes hits the nail on the head the feel of community has gone i came from a "small town" server where everyone knows each other now that you can instantly port into instances raids ect with people from almost anywhere it feels a bit less massive i dont know if that makes any sense to anyone but it feels like a game of COD where you randomly play with people and never see them again

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Well, maybe if they stopped nerfing shit, stopped caring only about ways to drag more money out of us, stopped insulting the playerbase every time we brought up a concern, stopped the goddamn grinds with minimal content...

You know, made the game worth playing again.

They did themselves in when they took Abyssal Maw out of the last patch, and just hyped up Firelands into way more than it actually was. A fair chunk of the playerbase felt lied to, and some of them left over it.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
And lo, behold as the end draws nigh, and Bioware seizes the frosty throne of Blizzard.
Might happen.

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
well... i still really love WoW. i've played for about a year or so now and so far, nothing's turned me off or made me want to go to other games.

The PvP system is the most enjoyable to me of any game i've ever played. You can argue that it's unbalanced, sure. but it's 10 classes... with 3 talent specs each... so really, there's like 30 fucking classes in the game, basically. (i.e, a frost mage and a fire mage are both mages, sure, but they play drastically differently from each other) so i don't mind the fact that some skills are overpowered (im looking at you, mana burn) because some of them have to be to make the classes/specs able to compete with the other ones.

That being said, there's not a class in the game that can't fuck up another class if it doesn't know what its doing. You can have great gear, reforged to make up for some of your classes shortcomings or further strengthen your strong suits, but skill is what it all boils down to, and knowing what to do/what skill or ability to use in a certain situation. i don't get into a battleground, see a shaman running towards me, and say "oh this guy is fucked, he can't touch me" or "oh shit im dead no matter what" we just fight. using our skills and abilities against each other, trying to outmaneuver/1-up each other, etc.

I can understand a lot of the complaints though- im not a fan of the "expansion pack reset button" thing. makes you not even want to try to get the end game gear because whats the point if you can just grind some characters to 85 and then get all the "good" gear when it becomes "lame" gear next expansion?

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
cross realm BG/Dungeon, high level content gets smaller all the time, most players are more likely going to tell you to fuck off rather than have a friendly conversation, blizzards "casual" policy, making the game even more simpler than it was before and blizzard seems to get more and more lazy and pick the easiest way when developing the game, those are some of the reasons I have totally lost my interest in WoW, now I just need to hope Bioware gets the SWTOR right...

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
It was going to happen sooner or later. And since Blizzard so royally screwed up Cataclysm, (speaking as a former player) I'm not surprised players are moving away.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
313 MILLION. During just one quarter. Dang, most movies have issues getting that much money.

They're nowhere near dying. The numbers would have to fall very very hard for that to happen.

I feel I must post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7fBjaa0odE

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
WoW's new unlimited trial system has resulted in a "significant increase" in new accounts, Morhaime said, although it's still too early to tell what impact that will have on the actual subscriber base, and continued international expansion into countries like China, Russia and Portugal will also help reverse the trend.
What is it with Blizzard's recent campaign to fuel the gold spammers/farmers?

It's like they're on the warpath to keep these assholes in business.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Not surprising given its age, also it not very freindly to new players since if you wanted to join you would have to pay over 100$ just to get started.