World's best suggested paradox

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
x EvilErmine x said:
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
That's easy, you would never get across the road. You would get 99.99% recurring they way across but would never actually get there
Yes but, 0.999... is equal to 1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.252127-Poll-0-999-1?page=18#9367421].
And so 99.999...% = 100%, so if you get 99.999...% of the way across, then you're 100% of the way across.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
"Everything is something, but this is nothing."
"What happens when object that is absolutely immobile in every form and context, even to its relative surroundings. Gets hit by a object that in every form and context is unstoppable?"

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
MattRooney06 said:
The plot to Time splitters two and three

eh hem

1) Obtain the time Crystals
2) Use Time Crystals to power a time machine
3) Go back in time and destroy time Crystals

Yeah think about that for a second...for those that cant be bothered

Without the time crystals you cannot build the time machine, without the time machine you cannot destroy the crystals, this means the crystals are not destroyed....meaning you can collect the time crystals in order to use the time machine to destroy them....meaning...i think you get it
Or how about you helping yourself and being unable to progress without doing so, how did that loop start?

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Banana Phone said:
OT, my favorite one ever: what would happen if a spaceship was traveling at close to the speed of light, and also spinning with a rotational velocity of close to the speed of light? One side of the ship would be exceeding the speed of light, would it not?
Nope, it would not.

What you need to remember is that Relativity doesn't only give us the rule that things can't travel faster than light, it also tells us what effects happen to those objects that get very close to that speed.

In this case, the important thing is time-dilation. At very fast speeds, time slows down, and if you get very close to the speed of light, it almost stops altogether. The object may be rotating very quickly from it's own perspective but, to an onlooker, the object itself is moving forward through time much slower than it ought to be, as such, the rotation is also slowed down hugely. Avoiding the contradiction.

A simpler example is if you stand on Earth and two ships fly off at 99% light speed in opposite directions. Now, to you on Earth, neither ship is travelling faster than light, 1% slower in fact but, surely, from each other's perspective the other ship must be travelling as 198% of the speed of light. Violating two fundamental laws of Relativity, first that you can't travel faster than light and second that every inertial reference frame is equally valid.
The answer is that, thanks to the dilation effects that take place, the ships will in fact only appear to be travelling at approximately 99.99% of light speed to each other. Avoiding the violation again.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
NLS said:
If you try to fail, and you succeed, what have you done?
If you walk four feet north and three feet west, what have you done?

This isn't a paradox at all. You failed in one activity, and succeeded in another.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Maze1125 said:
x EvilErmine x said:
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
That's easy, you would never get across the road. You would get 99.99% recurring they way across but would never actually get there
Yes but, 0.999... is equal to 1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.252127-Poll-0-999-1?page=18#9367421].
And so 99.999...% = 100%, so if you get 99.999...% of the way across, then you're 100% of the way across.
I still don't buy this one. I understand that there is an infinitely small variance between .9999... and 1, but it is still existent, just not representable. Given the infinite number of unrepresentable numbers, how does this make sense? It isn't like you are taking a limit, or something.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
Maze1125 said:
x EvilErmine x said:
Squidden said:
I still don't buy this one. I understand that there is an infinitely small variance between .9999... and 1, but it is still existent, just not representable. Given the infinite number of unrepresentable numbers, how does this make sense? It isn't like you are taking a limit, or something.
Except that's the thing isn't it. 0.999... is defined as a limit, so the fact that it follows limit rules is hardly surprising.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Maze1125 said:
Zechnophobe said:
Maze1125 said:
x EvilErmine x said:
Squidden said:
Except that's the thing isn't it. 0.999... is defined as a limit, so the fact that it follows limit rules is hardly surprising.
Hmm, well, just after posting I did some... 'research' on this (Aka, wikipedia hehe). A few of the points there are fairly interesting, and one struck home: It questions the assumption that any given value can have only one numeric representation. This is true, and probably why I've questioned it so thoroughly.

I suppose there is probably a mathematically accepted statement such as "two numbers are equal if no numbers exist between them" or something.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
I suppose there is probably a mathematically accepted statement such as "two numbers are equal if no numbers exist between them" or something.
Yep, in fact, there is exactly that rule (or, if you want to be pedantic, the contrapositive of it.)

Every two distinct real numbers, x and y, have another real number between them. The obvious one being (x+y)/2.

After all, if 0.999... and 1 were distinct, what would (0.999... + 1)/2 equal?

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
You can't divide by zero. Yes you fucking can. I have two apples, I don't divide by anything so I still have two apples. The mathematicians just don't want to admit defeat.
That doesn't make sense. If you keep both apples for yourself, then you divided by one, which is essentially the equivalent of giving both apples to 1 person (you). Now imagine having both apples and being tasked to give them to nobody or nothing. That's dividing by zero.

An entire scientific community doesn't just conclude a problem impossible "because they don't want to admit defeat." It doesn't work that way.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
JRiseley said:
Death God said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Open it in a new tab. The answer will be revealed (and a facepalm will ensue)
JRiseley said:
Oh, lordy. Best para-dox. Say paradox, looking at the picture.
YoBadMama said:
Because paradox rhymes with "Pair of Docks".
OH! Now I feel stupid! (facepalm!)
It's okay, it took me a long time to figure it out, too.
I feel better now! I thought I was the only one who didn't get it.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, and it falls on a mime, does anyone care?

Cookie for reference.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
The Seldom Seen Kid said:
Geekosaurus said:
You can't divide by zero. Yes you fucking can. I have two apples, I don't divide by anything so I still have two apples. The mathematicians just don't want to admit defeat.
That doesn't make sense. If you keep both apples for yourself, then you divided by one, which is essentially the equivalent of giving both apples to 1 person (you). Now imagine having both apples and being tasked to give them to nobody or nothing. That's dividing by zero.

An entire scientific community doesn't just conclude a problem impossible "because they don't want to admit defeat." It doesn't work that way.
Aw man, I thought we'd let this one go. Well seeing as you're all mathematicians, let me respond with something from my area of expertise - literature. The world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes, didn't know that the earth orbited the sun. Why? Because what would it matter if we orbited the moon? It would make no difference. Whether you can divide by zero or not it makes no difference to our lives.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
HK_01 said:
MattRooney06 said:
The plot to Time splitters two and three

eh hem

1) Obtain the time Crystals
2) Use Time Crystals to power a time machine
3) Go back in time and destroy time Crystals

Yeah think about that for a second...for those that cant be bothered

Without the time crystals you cannot build the time machine, without the time machine you cannot destroy the crystals, this means the crystals are not destroyed....meaning you can collect the time crystals in order to use the time machine to destroy them....meaning...i think you get it
Or how about you helping yourself and being unable to progress without doing so, how did that loop start?
Yeah i know, how the hell did that start!!!!!!!

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Maze1125 said:
x EvilErmine x said:
Squidden said:
Yes but that's theoretical mathematics we are dealing with distance here which is precisely defined. 1cm is not the same as 9.99 mm. Presumably if you did keep halving the distance of the steps you would eventually reach a point where you have a step which is less than one planck length across. In this case eater one of two things will happen a) you cant have half a planck length and you will be forced to take a step of one planck length and thus complete the journey or b) the conditions of the original statement remain true and you some how manage to halve it and et cetra ad infanitum, thus never completing your journey and provoking the interest of quantum mechanics community considerably.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
The Seldom Seen Kid said:
Geekosaurus said:

Aw man, I thought we'd let this one go. Well seeing as you're all mathematicians, let me respond with something from my area of expertise - literature. The world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes, didn't know that the earth orbited the sun. Why? Because what would it matter if we orbited the moon? It would make no difference. Whether you can divide by zero or not it makes no difference to our lives.
Um i hate to be a dick here but it would matter quite a lot if we orbited the moon and not the sun, there would be quite a significant difference sorry.

oh and one more thing

This man can divide by zero

~~~Edit~~~
Ahh double post fail

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
TerribleAssassin said:
What happened if Chuck Norris met Rob Swire in a Guitar Hero match?
Rob Swire would get his ass kicked for that piece of shit called "Immersion". That's what.