World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Time to make my own Foundation for protecting human rights when they become the minority under the iron rule of our new Ur-Quan Masters... or some evil cyberpunk corporation XD

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
The key criterion for being a cyborg is the visibility of the implant? Interesting. So everyone with a pacemaker so well integrated into their bodies that they don't notice it is not a cyborg, or is it just that old folks who spend most of their time ignoring the tech implants aren't cool?

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
OniaPL said:
Rather than developing this kind of technology, wouldn't it be more effective to dump that cash in something like gene therapy and gene research? Being able to use a vector to put a properly working, dominative allele in the place of one of the recessive alleles that cause achromatopsia (or being able to find the recessive gene and deal with it during the embryo/fetus phase) would be far better than just sticking a machine into someone's head and make them "hear" sounds.

That'd be a future where I'd like to live.
Were it that easy.

- Vectors: very tricky. We don't really have too much here yet. Retroviruses could work, but their random placement their genome onto a chromosome and the high number of cells in a human body makes it highly likely that you get some form of cancer.
- Not everything is dominant/recessive. Hell: for many genes we hardly know the functions, and almost all functions of a tissue depend on a huge genetic network. Also: if you don't spot the dysfunction in time, you're most likely fucked, since post-fetal growing of the right neural cells to the right parts of the brain is going to be a clusterfuck.

Also: the branch of molecular biology involved in what you're discussing and the branch of informatics/robotics which is used here are completely separate. Why not do both of them?

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
OniaPL said:
Rather than developing this kind of technology, wouldn't it be more effective to dump that cash in something like gene therapy and gene research? Being able to use a vector to put a properly working, dominative allele in the place of one of the recessive alleles that cause achromatopsia (or being able to find the recessive gene and deal with it during the embryo/fetus phase) would be far better than just sticking a machine into someone's head and make them "hear" sounds.

I agree with you in theory but that kind of research wouldn't help him now, realistically both need to be invested in. Sure we should research prevention of this kind of stuff but it's already affecting a lot of people so we just as much should help them overcome their difficulties rather than just saying "you're on your own, we'll fix it before the next batch of people".

Sep 14, 2009
snagli said:
The little antenna looks silly, especially with his haircut, but this is beautiful. I for one would without a doubt enhance my senses and my body through cybernetics, but of course people with disabilities come first.
very true, if anything i'd ask if they could turn it into some kind of helmet/hat thing. I'd be too nervous that it'd catch on something (top of a door, something hanging) so i'd like some stability holding it on my head.

this is fucking epic though, really interesting to see this happen in our lifetime.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
JonB said:
"One day I started hearing colors in my dreams.
Due to a side-effect of profound grief and longing, I gained the sense of touch in my dreams, which I had never had before. Our dreams are a collection of our experiences and our thoughts. You don't dream about eyeborgs or smartphone displays or trees if you never saw one.

JonB said:
Then I understood what being a cyborg meant. It's not the union between the eyeborg and my head, what converts me into a cyborg, but the union between the software and my brain. My body and the technology have united.
If you're specifically using tech-modifies-neurons as a requirement for being a cyborg, someone beat you to it. Several someones, probably, but the first one I can think of is George Stratton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation#Experimental_support] in the 1890s, who wore a pair of glasses that ultimately changed the way his brain processed images.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Awesome technology! My grandfather was totally colorblind and loved new technology, he probably would have loved this.

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Mojo said:
Wow, pretty damn amazing.
Maybe in the future well be able to make blind people "see" with sounds, like bats do, or something...
What do you mean, in the future?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Redingold said:
Mojo said:
Maybe in the future well be able to make blind people "see" with sounds, like bats do, or something...

I stand corrected.
But they aren't using cyborg tech yet. Everything is better with cyborg tech.

EDIT: Okay, seems they're working on cyborg tech too.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Mojo said:
Redingold said:
Mojo said:

I stand corrected.
Beu they aren't using cyborg tech yet. Everything is better with cyborg tech.
Look more closely, specifically at Kevin Warwick's section.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Not really the first cyborg, just one of the first to label himself as such. Personally, I see him as another human just with some extra bits. Equality and that. I guess people with pacemakers, brain electrodes, artificial limbs, joint replacements and hearing aids aren't cool enough to be considered 'cyborgs'.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Personally I don't get what the big deal is. I mean, it's a great day for science and I'm glad this guy can now identify colours, but let's be honest, people have been using prosthetics for ages now. And it's not like this is bound to turn into a human rights issue. I mean, we already have the Paralympics, don't we? I think the transition from natural bodies to technologically enhanced ones will go fairly smoothly, with no real problems concerning human rights. The only one who's being really bigoted here is Google, because their spell-checker refuses to recognize either "prosthetics" or "paralympics" as actual words (but then their maps refuse to recognize Palestine as a sovereign state).

ron1n said:
I for one welcome our new Cyborg Overlords.
Traitor...

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
OniaPL said:

Were it that easy.

- Vectors: very tricky. We don't really have too much here yet. Retroviruses could work, but their random placement their genome onto a chromosome and the high number of cells in a human body makes it highly likely that you get some form of cancer.
- Not everything is dominant/recessive. Hell: for many genes we hardly know the functions, and almost all functions of a tissue depend on a huge genetic network. Also: if you don't spot the dysfunction in time, you're most likely fucked, since post-fetal growing of the right neural cells to the right parts of the brain is going to be a clusterfuck.

Also: the branch of molecular biology involved in what you're discussing and the branch of informatics/robotics which is used here are completely separate. Why not do both of them?
That's why I said "dumping the cash into developing it"; I'm aware that getting a vector, for example the processed retrovirus to actually bring the gene to the right cell, put it in the right place and for the gene to successfully replace the "broken" part without even taking polygenes into consideration are all problems that would need to be solved. That's what I'd like to see; to get these kind of problems solved.

Achromatopsia, however, is caused by autosomal recessive genes as far as I am aware.

Where you got me though was that it really wouldn't help him. I threw a guess that his inability to see colors was just because of some kind of problem with the cone cells where they do not produce the pigment and that if we were to "repair" the genes, the cone cells would be able to do that which would possibly allow him t osee colors again.

But of course the cause could be a number of things, and it probably wouldn't be that simple.
Yeah, they are completely separate, but I just personally find the idea of sticking a metal device on the top of someone's head to get them to "see" colors to be a clumsy, non-elegant solution.

Frontastic said:
OniaPL said:

I agree with you in theory but that kind of research wouldn't help him now, realistically both need to be invested in. Sure we should research prevention of this kind of stuff but it's already affecting a lot of people so we just as much should help them overcome their difficulties rather than just saying "you're on your own, we'll fix it before the next batch of people".
Well, I suppose so. But we could also instead just find the answer to the problem sooner to prevent more people with something like achromatopsia being born. Though that delves more into the area of moral dilemmas; whether to let people be born with it and just help them out, or whether to prevent it all together but leaving the pre-existing ones fucked.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
rhizhim said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I bet Cyborg-marriage will be recognized in Texas before gay-marriage.
what about gay cyborg marriage?

also:

DESTROY ALL MEATBAGS
Cyborg marriage will take place the way GOD intended!
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/CNET-YYC1-53408.jpg
Wouldn't that be masterbation?

Or like a plant, since some of them can reproduce with themselves.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
And what's the first thing he did with this amazing gift? He made a painting of Justin Bieber's song. How delightful.
I'm very disappointed in you, Mr. Jensen. You had a prime opportunity to say "At least he asked for this," and instead you make a Justin Beiber joke. For shame. And you call yourself a Deus Ex fan...I'd have half a mind to ask you to relinquish your profile pic. ;P

OP: This is really awesome. However, it will open a whole new can of worms about cybernetic people's rights, fear of both their power and propagation (hope I spelled that right) from humans who don't want/need to alter themselves, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Still....this is pretty cool.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
There's only one thing to say to this...

Seriouisly though, awesome, now can I have my robot arms?