World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

Oct 22, 2011
Well, good that he asked for this, for a change...

Chemical Alia said:
I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.
I believe this condition is called [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia"]"synesthesia"[/a].

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Dear diary,

Today when I woke up, I learned that I had awoken in the future.
Sad thing is, despite the cyber-enhancements, potential black hole generators, cloned livestock, laser cannons and railguns, it will never truly feel like the future until I can drive a flying DeLorean...

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
VanQQisH said:
Dear diary,

Today when I woke up, I learned that I had awoken in the future.
Sad thing is, despite the cyber-enhancements, potential black hole generators, cloned livestock, laser cannons and railguns, it will never truly feel like the future until I can drive a flying DeLorean...
Also Hoverboards, and over a dozen Jaws sequels should do the trick.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Not a cyborg by my definition. He has to be able to control an integrated device with neurological signals. Otherwise, he just has fancy speaker glasses.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
Awesome technology! My grandfather was totally colorblind and loved new technology, he probably would have loved this.

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.
Isn't that just synesthesia? I know a few people who are like that.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Harbisson is said to be the first recognized cyborg in the world, since his passport photo includes his eyeborg enhancement.
I'm kind of confused by that definition of cyborg, because wouldn't people with glasses qualify in that if they wear them on their foto? What about people with retina chips? Much older than this item, but not externally visible. Does that make retina-chip carriers less of a cyborg rather than more as I would think? And what about the hundreds of thousands of people with cochlea implants, pace-makers, brain-shunts and all sorts of devices implanted into them?. I don't buy it. Whatever. It's a cool invention nonetheless, but sometimes these types of people really get carried away with their cyborg- and transhumanist-fixation to the point where they don't see the forest because of all the trees. My grandma is a cyborg. Her cochlea implant lets her hear.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
For everyone saying that they would love this ability for themselves, you can download the software from his website.
http://www.cyborgfoundation.com/ and go to LAB.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
romanator0 said:
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.
Except Cyborgs have been discriminated against. [http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/07/17/cyborg-discrimination-scientist-says-mcdonalds-staff-tried-to-pull-off-his-google-glass-like-eyepiece-then-threw-him-out/]

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Sorry, but he's not a cyborg, from what I can tell he can take the eyeborg off. By this logic wearing a wrist watch makes you a cyborg.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
romanator0 said:
Did you watch the video? He can't get into movie theatres because they think he's trying to record the movie with a camera and he got kicked out of supermarkets for some reason.

Smilomaniac said:
Strange how this guy is a "legit" cyborg compared the guy with a camera in his eyesocket.

Or even better, a woman who is missing her left arm and has had her nerveendings grafted to her breast muscles.
The nerve endings still respond to her thinking that she's moving a finger, turning her wrist or lifting her arm as well as bending it.
This has allowed a team to create a shield that covers her breast and a computer mounted on her shoulder interprets it and moves the arm that's strapped to her.

This means that there is a woman who is controlling a cybernetic arm, with her thoughts.
http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html

The same team has through the same method, made a sensor that allows a person to feel through another prosthesis. They can feel if it's rough or silken or any other texture.

Compared to a sensor that translates colors into sounds, it seems a bit more useful and quite frankly, epic.
Then again, I don't know how it is, not to see color. But I could relate to losing an arm..!
She seems more like a cyborg than that guy, since her arm actually interfaces with her brain in both directions, while the Eyeborg seems to only be sending information to the guy's brain and not the other way around. I don't exactly get why he's the first to get recognized as a cyborg and what that recognition means.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
romanator0 said:
If you watch the video, you'll hear that he gets barred from cinemas because they think he's filming, or kicked out of supermarkets because they think he's doing something illegal.

immovablemover said:
Its seems you don't quite understanding how Science, or funding, works.

1. You don't just throw money at science and miracles happen.

2. Science uses itself to improve itself - the research that went into this may very well help research in other areas relating to the same problems.

You're probably the kind of person that says things like "Why haven't they cured the common cold yet?" with a straight face.
You mean Civilization V isn't an accurate portrayal of how science works? WTH, I feel lied to :<

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
"Prince Charles, despite what you might think, actually sounds pretty good." That made my day! =D

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Bah, Cyborg. Cyborg my ass. In my day the word Cyborg meant something, now this guy is just throwing it around. There is only one true Cyborg!