Worst Controller Design

MacCarth

Nov 18, 2007
For a console, the shape of the controller and button placement is everything. In order to make a decent controller, I believe the criteria should be as follows:

1) All buttons should be reachable by hand
2) There should be no useless buttons/buttons that will NEVER be used in games.
3) The controller should have a comfortable fit in the hand of the gamer.

This topic came to my mind when I decided to sit down and relive my youth with a rousing game of Goldeneye. My first words while playing this game were somewhere along the lines of "WTF"?!

The Nintendo 64 controller had to be the GOOFIEST controller ever. If you held it so you could actually use the joystick, the L buttons and the D pad were neglected. If you tried holding it with one hand near the D pad and right hand near the buttons, the joystick was left out.

Also- C buttons were ridiculous. I actually applauded the gamecube when they transformed it into a C-joystick. Overall, the controller felt very awkward, and I got major callouses on my thumbs because of the ridges on the top of the joystick. Way to go nintendo.

Other contenders for the "worst controller ever" title were the bulky X box controller (Where you had to have the hands of Shaq just to be able to hold the damn thing), and the unreleased Ps3 Boomerang. Possibly the best move Sony has made in a while. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use it to play video games, or throw it as hard as I could and hoped it didn't come back.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Xbox original, Dreamcast, or... uh... was it the Jaguar that had another giant pad-like controller? I only vaguely remember.

It's tough to get used to the good ol' DualShock 2 after, say, spending a good amount of time on the incredibly comfortable GameCube controller (though it's not quite suited for say, fighting games) or the great 360 / Xbox S ones. Good controller, but not as ergonomically sound as the two I just mentioned.

jessehalljrw

Dec 14, 2007
one of the worst controlers is probly the huge xbox controlers the like barly fit in my hand but that might just be i dont have the biggest hands in the world....

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
Though a great system, the N64 had the worst controller design ever. It was so unbelievably bad. Since when do we have three hands? I mean seriously, thing designers, THINK!

Stella Q

Nov 18, 2007
N64 without a doubt. I especially liked when the joystick would get clogged up with what I can only describe as some uncleanable white chalky-like substance that made moving just...feel awful.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
In defense of the N64 controller, you have to acknowledge that no one had really done the analog stick before. What Nintendo essentially did was give you a 2-in-1. They never intended for you to use all the buttons at once. What they did intend was to give developers flexibility in choosing to allow digital direction-pad controls, or analog joystick controls. I think it was a pretty ingenious solution. And really, is it so bad that they gave you a dedicated grip for the stick, and a dedicated grip for the D-pad? Seems ergonomically better than having one grip, and making you adjust the way you're holding your thumb to reach the different ones. Modern controllers sort of assume that controls will be handled by the analog stick, so there's less need to hedge their bets.

At the OP's #2, I think the rule is a bit unfair. Additional buttons (like the Xbox's White and Black buttons) aren't necessarily bad, as it gives developer's some flexibility. You could argue over poorly placed, un-ergonomic buttons, but MORE buttons is never really a bad thing. (Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for buttons. I have Steel Battalion, and thinking about all those buttons is starting to make me a little randy.)

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
You just beat me too it geoffrey. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time the N64 controller was revolutionary. Remember that we wouldn't have gotten analogue sticks on the playstation if nintendo hadn't made it cool.

Personally I thought the N64 controller was perfect when it was used correctly. Mario 64 still is one of the best 3D platformers around and that is partly because it had a controller designed specifically for it.
Also I would take the D-pad on the N64 controller over any of the other controllers going around today.

That said, I think its a close call for worst controller between the original xbox and the dreamcast. Closely followed by the N64 and its shitty white powder that ruined everything!

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
ok, i've been wanting to ask this for a while and now seems like the right time.
Why is it that most people hate the boomarang controler for the ps3? I mean, sure it look odd, but did anyone hold it? Try it out on a game? All I see about it is "What a nasty bad, bad, evil face-melting baby-killing piece of crap that thing was" but no reason behind it.
If someone could tell me what the problem with it was, I would be very happy.

also, I have to jump on the N64 hate wagon, I know hindsight is perfect.... but please. That was a crampfest at the best of times.

Gunslinger Fox

Dec 11, 2007
I never liked the Gamecubes controller. The C stick felt off and the Y and X buttons were small and odd shaped next to the giant A button and little B button. It's just an odd layout I could never get used to.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
ColecoVision. Hands down. It's like a combination of a telephone, walkie talkie, and an analog radio dial.

Wycliffe

Dec 14, 2007
I like the bulky X-Box controller. Coincidentally, i'm 6'3''(guess where i'm from) and have rather large hands in proportion to the rest of my body.

ohnoitschris

Nov 22, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
In defense of the N64 controller, you have to acknowledge that no one had really done the analog stick before. What Nintendo essentially did was give you a 2-in-1. They never intended for you to use all the buttons at once. What they did intend was to give developers flexibility in choosing to allow digital direction-pad controls, or analog joystick controls. I think it was a pretty ingenious solution. And really, is it so bad that they gave you a dedicated grip for the stick, and a dedicated grip for the D-pad? Seems ergonomically better than having one grip, and making you adjust the way you're holding your thumb to reach the different ones. Modern controllers sort of assume that controls will be handled by the analog stick, so there's less need to hedge their bets.
Nintendo has a trend of doing this for safety. If the analog stick didn't catch on, they'd have a perfectly good D-pad and face buttons. If they designed the analog stick for primary play and consumers didn't like it, they'd be stuck with a default controller which nobody would use. History repeated itself with the Nintendo DS: If the double-screen and touch screen gimmicks were misses, they wouldn't be tarnishing the GameBoy name. Developers could release normal games for use with the standard controls, and work would progress on the next GameBoy.

Also, the dual D-pads on the Virtual Boy. Just sayin'.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
I'm sorry... I just had to sign up, just to jump in my my 2 cents...

Why is the Dreamcast controller constantly coming up?
Ok, so it was prone to breaking (in 2 years i managed to break 3...) and the dimples on the top of the analoge stick were copied directly from a cheese grater... But I, in fact, quite liked it... If was relativly easy to use and sat comfortably in your hands...

There are much worse offenders out there...

Prime example, the original X-box controller... Despite copying the designs of the Dreamcast controller, (put them side by side and tell me they the layout isn't almost identical...) They succeded in cocking the whole this up even more! Sure, it was ergonomic... Nice and soft and comfy...
But really, where did they get their measurements from?
My hands are about the right size to pick up a basket ball with one hand, and even I struggled to control that monster cnotroller...

Also... Another offender...
The Airlogue. (If i remember correctly)
Did anyone else have this? It was a thrid-party PS1 controller which handled the analogue by measuring the about you are tilting the controller...
The end result is that you had to hold the damn thing absolutely level for fear of mistakes.
Also, It was roughly the same shape (and size) of a UFO which made it a little awkward to hold...
Where exactally are the "Shoulder" buttons on a round controller? o_O

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
I'd have to disagree with the dislike of the N64 pad, I thought the design was brilliant (aside from the analogue stick that is prone to wearing out and coming loose), it was the first control pad that was actually designed with ergonomics in mind and, lets be honest here, how many games are that where you actually use the D-pad and the (left) analogue stick together?

Worst pad I think has to be the Master System pad, it was square, had two crappy buttons and the worst d-pad in history, the NES pad might have been square as well but at least its buttons were decent.

Rent

Nov 26, 2007
When i was just a child i started out my gaming carrier with a classic nintendo 8-bit console and it was awsome, but after a few weeks the controls were mashed into jam... i mean after mastering super mario the funniest thing i knew was completeing the levels as quick as possible and the came along with alot of A button mashing. So after a while the controls didnt work and most of my time i was flying of the big mushrooms and faceplanting into Unkown, wich leads me too the question, what do you hit when you die from a fall in super mario? Nvm that.

After a few years my friend came too school being all cocky because his rich parents gave him AND his brother a Nintendo 64 gamingsystem, being quiet a poor kid i never played anything more advanced then nintendo and snes on my 300mhz computer i was stunned! But when i laid my hands on my the control i just had this fealing too go the nintendo company and pee in thier water suplie... it was "whacked" the buttons were too far away from eatchother, Mario didnt run when i wanted to and when i didnt want him to run he fell to his death from the first cliff he could find. I did quit the game when i came to the second map were you have to race a pinguin down from an icey hill, i tried to go left buy mario went stright forward and down too hell.

I thougt that i really found the proff that satan exist but i wsnt sure that i wanted to join him with his evil empire with shadowy minions until Microsoft gave me the ultimate cockslap with the Xbox (1) control. It was bigger then mt. Everest and just as heavey, i tried out Halo. I spotted an enemy and i was all like Boomheadshot time bang bang, seconds later i found myself shoting at the sun. because of the fact that the xbox control had a completly new sensitivity compared to other controls, so while mastering how to aim and just trying to hold the control it reminded me of those good ol' nintendo days and how really wonderfull they were.

So hers my list.

1. Xbox 1 control - to heavey and to big.
2. N64 - Buttons are a bit randomly placed and its pretty hard to get to them without moveing your hand.
3. Nintendo 8bit - Breaks after a few days, how do they expect you to become pro at megaman 1 if you cant mash that trash "giggle"

And yes im talking about my first impresion here, now im all pro at most of the games i actually tried "lies" but i know how to play them well. So done give me and "zomglol nub" comments cuz i know what i typed Okeeeehhhyyy? And ignore all the typos, first of im a swede and i havent had my coffee yet :>

Jthom252

Dec 8, 2007
Colecovision, definitely - but then again it wasn't really a true controller in the modern sense.

Otherwise, I'd say the N64 - going back to it I wondered how I ever stood it back in the day. While it has what should be the norm (being a semi-symmetrical with easily accessed buttons on both sides) it goes and extends its third leg for the analog stick - the Z button on the other hand, I love(d). The gamecube controller wasn't that great either, but at least it was more inline with most controllers.

On the other hand, I really liked the dreamcast controller, it was bulky but you still had good access to your buttons on either side and the triggers on the back were great for Racing games I thought.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Darkong said:
I'd have to disagree with the dislike of the N64 pad, I thought the design was brilliant (aside from the analogue stick that is prone to wearing out and coming loose), it was the first control pad that was actually designed with ergonomics in mind and, lets be honest here, how many games are that where you actually use the D-pad and the (left) analogue stick together?
Whilst the N64 pad is nice to hold, that still doesn't excuse the assumption that I have three hands to hold it with.

And there are quite a lot of games that use the D-Pad as well as both analogue sticks. Most FPS games find a use for it, for example, switching weapons, activating secondary functions, that kind of thing..

LordLocke

Oct 3, 2007
Well, top to bottom-

Dreamcast- What could have been a great controller (Exceptional D-pad and analog stick, decent face button layout) was pretty much ruined by the sheer size and shape of the thing. Painful to use for long durations, and uncomfortable reguardless of what's in use and how it's being held. The controller-bottom cord insert also had a large impact on the actual length of the cord.

Gamecube- A case where form seemed to dial in over function. Extremely obtuse button layout and ability (Awful shoulders, a tiny, difficult Z button, and a terrible face) held back ever further by a stubby second stick and completely useless D-pad. Designed for an extremely narrow style of game, and generally showed in most 3rd party endeavors. The main redeeming merit is that at least when Nintendo put out a game, it was made with the controller in mind, so at times it didn't feel as bad as it actually was.

N64- Of course, it's predecessor wasn't much better. It might just be hindsight now, but the tri-prong setup, wimpy analog stick and C-buttons and- as a rarity for Nintendo- extremely short functioning lifespan add up to a pretty dismal experience. First doesn't mean best- first doesn't even mean good- and just because the N64 gamepad did analog control first for the home console market doesn't mean that it was a great controller. Or even a good one.

X-Box Original- HEUG LIEK X-BOCKS. Never was a fan of the placement of the White and Black buttons on either version of it either.

Never had the pleasure of the monstrosity that is the Jaguar Pad, but just from looking at it, I'll give it a mention, just because.

Sega Game Gear/Sega Nomad- Sega never did figure out how to properly place d-pads and buttons on their handhelds. Tolerable back in the day when Nintendo's similarly-chunky but more functional Game Boy was the only other game on the block and there wasn't much to compare it to, but two handheld generations later filled with smooth controlling wonders and in retrospect the Sega portables feels absolutely awful.

Malidictuim

Dec 5, 2007
Atari 5200.
Never friggin worked.
EVER.

I like the Xbox controller, the big one is great.
I have rather large hands so it's easy for me.
And the N64 controller was great I reckon.
I never used the D-Pad or the L button so it didn't matter.

rawlight

Sep 11, 2007
N64 for sure.

As a PC owner I would screw up my face whenever I had to use it. It also gave me a good excuse when I lost at Goldeneye.