Worst DLC.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Obligatory pic.

I think DLCs are pretty much a scam: they sell you an incomplete game and charge more for what should be there in the first place.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Mirror's Edge's DLC was pretty bad. Basically charging for jumping over a couple of blocks in an otherwise completely non-existant landscape.

People could've done better with a mod job.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Worst DLC "ever"? Hmm.....

Well, I'd say the "worst DLC ever" would be anything fitting the following guidelines, assuming they can only be acquired through the expenditure of real-world money:

1: Any bit of extra content purposefully pulled from the final game so the publisher can charge extra cash for the game.

2: Any glorified reskin of something in the game. Sold in individual item packets.

3: Small, limited map-packs that inevitably divide the multi-player community.

4: Special items, weapons, or features that give an unfair advantage to some players. (i.e. pay to win)

5: Any content left on the disc or within the game files that can only be accessed if you pay an extra fee.

So, baring that in mind, what's the "worst DLC ever"? I'd say about 90% of all the DLC available.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
The Saints Row 3 DLC seems pretty piss poor.
I tried not saying it, on premise of how much I love Saints Row the Third, but the DLC strategy sucks four kinds of donkey dong. Cosmetic stuff they cut from the game, making the selections less awesome as SR2, only to try and replace some of it with yet more outlandish stuff that costs $2 a pop, regardless of whether you buy that season pass thing or not, which, one would think at $20, would get you the ancillary crap like more costumes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
krazykidd said:
Aircross said:
Any cosmetic DLC that doesn't add to the gameplay is the worst kind of DLC to me.
Wouldn't that be the best kind of dlc? I mean you aren't losing anything by not buying them . The best dlc in my opinion are the ones you don't need to buy .

For me the worst DLC is DLC i need to get complete package of the game.
But what counts as "complete". You have a point if there's proof that a game intentionally cut content before launch so they could sell that content after launch, but if they just add stuff afterwards, like expansion packs have done for years, then what's the problem?

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Street Fighter vs Tekken characters dlc. Why?

Their on the damn disc and you still have to pay for them.

Congratulation's Capcom you are first in line for dick of the year.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Worst DLC has got to be mothership Zeta. Like Anchorage, but without hilariously broken loot to make up for it. OP enemies, no relevance to the rest of the world, and a nasty tendency to break and ruin your savegames.

Best, on the other hand, is the DLC adventures in New Vegas; all four represent an excellent level of storytelling, worldbuilding, and dialogue. They don't just give players more buildings full of super mutants to gib, they tell an entire secondary plotline. They aren't necessary to enjoy the plot of the game itself, and with the exception of the last one, they all stand alone so if you don't want (for example) an 8.5 hour art-deco survival horror quest where the entire world actively loathes you and your every move is watched by someone who can kill you with a push of a button if you disobey, you don't have to buy it and 1/2 of the DLC is still accessible very good.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
dwarf43 said:
well you've always got COD: modern warfare 3.
oh oh oh, I got one, The worst DLC is the Unreal Tournament DLC, IOW all games that use the Unreal Engine.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Brink.

The game itself was bad but when they felt giving us that crappy mission the next month would suddenly make us go "All is forgiven, Bethesda/Splash Damage!" it kinda felt like they were rubbing it in that I paid 60 bucks for it.

Mar 28, 2011
The Dead Space 1 & 2 dlc's (except for severance). Guns and outfits that are re-skins of everything you can pick up in the game. I think some of the guns were made stronger and the outfits could do more, but, paid dlc? Fuck you EA.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Blood and Glory, for Android had a sword for AUD$600 in real money.

So I could spend $600 on an Android game, and still not have the whole game. An ANDROID game.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Deus ex: Human Revolution made DLC make me want to stop playing. It was code I got when I bought game. It gave me this nifty sniper rifle and shotgun but the problem was those items on first mission of game took insane amount of room. Going for a no kills run of the game I was stuck with two giant paper weights. The DLC could of been handled better than handy capping player with items they don't need. For example have them be in Jensens apartment to pick up. Don't magically stuff them into inventory to screw over player.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
The Saints Row 3 DLC seems pretty piss poor.
Do you know if they're ever going to release real DLC. I heard when it came out that a lot of stuff got cut out to be turned into DLC. There was even at least one plot point they talked out in their Game Informer cover story that didn't appear at all.
I love the series, but The Third was severely lacking, especially with the cut-scenes. Really disapointed that this is what Volition had to show and let be shown by their publisher as the third and possibly final installment of anotherwise amazing series.

OT:
You can't even call Horse Armor bad OP. It's so bad, it's good.

Let's see, I've never had too many complaints about anything for the Fallout games.
I dispise map packs, though. I never get them, and I tell my friends that I don't believe in them.
Oh I know! Any game that has ever forced me to download/buy something just to unlock the multiplayer, because I bought the game used. Also the 5 (five!!!) motherfucking gb download, update thing Battlefield 3 keeps trying to get me to download. Can someone please explain to me what and why this is?

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
Treasure map pack for Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It doesn't even have to decency to add something cosmetic. It just shows you where the hidden treasures are. I thought the point of hidden treasures is the feeling of accomplishment you get when you find them on your own. Also, you could easily just look it up in a guide/walkthrough instead of paying $1 for this crap.