Worst ending you have ever seen

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
You said movie, so I assume show (and by extension, anime) works too. Because Trigun has the worst ending I have ever had the horrible luck to see. It was an amazing show, it really was: I loved every second of it up to the last episode. The first half of the episode was a recap of the entire show: stuff that anyone watching the last freaking episode should already know. Then it spends the last half of the episode ending all the show's deep questions, intense emotions, and engaging themes in... a short, simple gunfight. No questions answered, no closure obtained, just a short fight with little to no dialogue. Beyond that, they even refused to tie the loose ends after that! Just... sigh...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
kesslerparadox52 said:
There is no reason why we couldn't see, in a cutscene, the Wanderer fly across the World's Longest Fucking Room at speeds that would bring a tear to Vin Diesel's eye. (Fast and the Furious? FAST? Geddet?)
Why couldn't we have just watched a cutscene? Because that would have made this a movie. And this is a game, an interactive medium that deserves a heck of a lot more than that.

The very thing that separates video games from other forms of storytelling is interactivity. This is what made the ending of Shadow of the Colossus an incredibly emotional ending despite the lack of plot for most of the game: we had gotten connected to our hero, then we had to play him, trying desperately to resist the force dragging us back as Wander reached, stretched longingly for the one he loved, the reason he had done all this in the first place. He had conquered the colossi: surely he could conquer this! But no: our desperate efforts were fruitless, and it was that realization that made the ending so heartwrenching. Interactivity there was a brilliant storytelling move, and to say it should have been a cutscene is a perfect example of the mindset that holds video games back from their true artistic potential.

Tell me, what's more emotionally impacting: watching the hero fly across the room, or having to realize for ourselves that we could not do anything to save him?

And for future reference, spoilers tags are as follows: [spoiler ] and [/spoiler ] (without spaces, of course).

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I couldn't resist posting once I saw that comment...

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
Basically any game that has the "Oh, but it was all just a dream!" ending gets major scorn from me. Luckily, those are becoming rare these days. Most recent annoying ending (though not all that recent) was in Fallout 3 when I couldn't send Mr. Immune-to-radiation into the final chamber. But they sorted that out with dlc eventually, so I'll forgive that one.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
HippySecond said:
Borderlands

WHAT THE FUCK! A Giant vagina demon and no loot? worst ending ever! Only Ninja Claptrap saved it from all hate, at least it ended on a fun note.

Which is a pity because the game was good fun to play.
Took 22 posts to get the proper response to this thread. Geeez that was a piss poor ending.

And don't forget the fucking hyperion satellite. I mean WTF?????WTF???? what is hyperion doing saving the universe from the atlas corporation by hiring a merc? Don't they have the fucking best gear on the market? Why didn't they send in some fucking battle cruisers? Plot hole failure anyone?

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Lexandra said:
I actually remember the ending of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey....it was more disappointing than anything you could possibly dream of. That + years of waiting for the bloody thing to come out = so much fail it actually deserves a prize
I vote for this, the ending is awful and makes you feel like you've lost after everything you've just done. I hope the sequel comes soon because it's more like a mid point then an ending, but I don't think it's likely.

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
a game from my youth,Kingdom Hearts 2,they took this game,made it so they get a letter,and forget the old saeries and make a spinoff(saying they don't anwser it in this one)

Beebo2579

Jun 3, 2009
Well, I can't really say I've disliked many video game endings, but for movie endings? That would have to be Knowing. (spoiler warning)
"Everybody on earth dies." Yeah, that's a nice way to wrap it up.

eezaak

Sep 4, 2009
Halo 2. Such a huge build up and bang! Your going to have to wait for Halo 3. I almost put the controller through the TV.

Beebo2579

Jun 3, 2009
lacktheknack said:
The worst ending for Myst 3.

I mean, he hammers YOUR skull in, ATRUS' skull in, CATHERINE'S skull in, and presumably, HE CLUBS A BABY TO DEATH.

Brad Douriff, you are one mean bastard.
Ummm I think if all that happened, you probably made a wrong choice... Cuz in Myst 4 Atrus' skull doesn't seem very hammered in, and neither does yours for that matter.
Although I never played Myst 3, so maybe I'm wrong. All I know is Myst 4 rocks.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
kesslerparadox52 said:
Thaius said:
Why couldn't we have just watched a cutscene? Because that would have made this a movie. And this is a game, an interactive medium that deserves a heck of a lot more than that.
Wow, I feel stupid. Trust me, I'm no fan of cutscenes as a story-telling gimmick. I think that anything delivered through gameplay will always be more amazing then anything delivered through cutscenes, and I think that once cutscenes are a thing of the past, videogames will be much better for it.

I didn't mean to imply that cutscenes were the only other way they could have gone with the ending. In fact, the ending could have been greatly improved without using cutscenes. I've edited my post to refect that better.

PS: Thanks for the tip about spoilers.
Yeah, no prob. Sorry if I lost my head a bit there: video games as storytelling is kind of my passion in life, so you know how that kind of thing can be affected sometimes...

I still disagree with what you were saying, but at least now it's a matter of opinion rather than a matter of principle. :p

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
The Evil ending to Bioshock

it was just too dramatic and couldn't be canon since becoming a Hitler like figure with Nukes is just silly.

The good ending tied everything up: Jack takes the Little Sisters up in a Bathysphere and lives a peaceful normal life.

Negdaen

Apr 30, 2009
I actually give this one to Halos 2 and 3. Why? THey weren't great but not the worst. Well first off. 2 sets you up with a badass line promising awesomeness to come. Then you wait several years to get said awesomeness and it lasts for 9 hours. Then you get another cliffhanger with no real promise of closure. Which I would forgive if the books held any promise of answering that problem. But to my knowledge they just keep coming out with books that fill out the backstory. So yeah, Halo, you suck at endings.

gutterball17

Jul 14, 2009
I hated the ending to Brutal Legend. He just saved the entire civilization from being ruled over by nasty demons, and he gets no appreciation. Hell, he doesn't even get the girl; one kiss and that's it. Then he leaves. The End. Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!
Tim Schafer has betrayed me. For Shame!

Fallout 3 Boy

Nov 17, 2008
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one xbox game thaT started with i d but cant remember was awesome but they cancelled the sequel cant remember it

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
All you people are silly, happy endings are the worst one.
Mr.Governor said:
Every bad silent hill endings of every silent hill game.
Seriously, lies.

It is just cleverer than you.