Worst Game Ending?

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
Mallefunction said:
Honestly...Assassin's Creed. They barely introduce what the hell The Apple is and then yank you back out. All you got is some scribbles in blood and the credits roll. I don't mind sequel baiting, but that was just a shitty way to go about it.
I didn't find it all that confusing myself ... I understood its importance and usefulness and the power it contained. Then again, I do take the kind of message they were sending across quite well and use it frequently in my writing.

OT: I've seen a few bad game endings in my time ... one of which has to be Battlefield: Bad Company 2's ending. Not only did I stop playing it for about two months, but I stopped playing just before the last level. Then the game proceeded to undo all of my hard work and dozens of tries to rub it in my face that all the hard work had done nothing to prevent the Russian advance. Joy!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*sigh*

Redundant [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.264447-Worst-ending-in-a-game?page=1]. Thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.192953-Worst-game-ending?page=1]. Is [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.243345-Lamest-game-ending?page=1]. Redundant [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.200311-Bad-Video-Game-Endings?page=1].

PS. Borderlands. Crappy ending for a crappy game.

PPS. Assassins Creed II. "I hope you enjoyed beating up that fat pensioner. Now get out of the way Mr Vaguely-interesting-character, I have a message for the colourless spod riding in your brain."

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
Enslaved

The ending doesn't even make sense as the Leader says he never enslaved anyone but i specifically remember a time aboard a SLAVE SHIP where a SLAVE was executed just for talking to me.

ashikoto

Jul 14, 2008
Fear 2. I just remember i was sitting with my friend in the dark playing it then, adult alma comes up and theres touching and i remember making a bad touch joke and then it ended and i was like.... WTF?!!? and my friend insisted it wasn't over so we sat through the credits to see if there was anything, oh yeah i was pissed that day.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I know this isn't the worst ending in all video game history, but one that I've personally experienced which resulted in a complete WTF?! face:

The DLC much made up for it, but even so, the ending.... just, no.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I could have sworn that there was a thread strikingly similar to this not a week ago.
Anyways, I'm going to say either Fable 2, because it was so unsatisfactory, or KotOR 2, because it was so badly done and failed to tie up the plot at all.

PixelatedNinja

Jul 13, 2010
Bobbity said:
I could have sworn that there was a thread strikingly similar to this not a week ago.
Anyways, I'm going to say either Fable 2, because it was so unsatisfactory, or KotOR 2, because it was so badly done and failed to tie up the plot at all.
KotOR 2 wasn't that bad, it's just that they tried to hard with the ending, the first one had a twist ending and they wanted the sequel to have the same impact, it was a little convoluted but overall it was good.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Fable 2 and Kotor 2 both could have had a lot more. Special mention to Kingdom of Paradise because I was facing the final boss on a long car ride and my battery was about to die so I skipped the cutscene and turned it off. Years later I went back and beat it again just to get that cutscene. No romantic scene with either of the two love interests. Everyone just kinda gives a sigh of relief.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
PixelatedNinja said:
Bobbity said:
KotOR 2 wasn't that bad, it's just that they tried to hard with the ending, the first one had a twist ending and they wanted the sequel to have the same impact, it was a little convoluted but overall it was good.
I know that you're right, but it felt as if there was a lot of cut content. Bastila made an appearance for less than a second before we buggered off, and I really wanted to know what had happened to her and Carth. There was a lot happening with Bao-Dur and the other companions, but not a lot was said, and Kreia's plot exposition felt like a bit of a cop out.
True, the ending probably doesn't deserve the crap I'm giving it, but it felt so messy relative to the first game.

/edit
Actually, I changed my mind. Advent Rising's ending was terrible; the game stopped, rather than ended. I felt really, really annoyed after that.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Probably Far Cry Intincts Evolution. The game didn't end so much as stop.

gintsume

Sep 14, 2010
Well, compared to what everyone else is saying, I liked the original ending to Fallout 3. It finished up like all good games do and keeps you hanging for more (curse those sequels sometimes).

Game with a bad ending for me is defiantly Project Zero 2, first ending anyways. Yeah, was a happy ending for some, but still...
I would do the whole spoiler thing if I knew how for those who don't know how it ends

andreustalyn

Dec 20, 2010
When I first played Symphony of the Night and thought
the "bad ending" where you kill Richter was the real/only ending.

I'll echo everyone's sentiments on Fable 2, even though I really didn't care too much for the plot to begin with. Though I would say the ending of Borderlands just added to its charm, especially when I somehow got crushed by the final boss' corpse just as it initiated the ending cutscene. Not to say it was a good ending, but I was laughing at the absurdity of it, which made it a fun experience. Though, not having any luck finding any pearlescent items at the finale of the General Knoxx DLC was a bit disappointing in my playthrough.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
This is a bit off topic but I was just thinking it over and I would like to tell everyone now. I think it would be really nice if people would stop claiming that a certain thread has already been done. New people join these forums every day and even if you have discussed a certain topic before I doubt everyone that joins immediately cycles through the archives of every topic ever made and adds there comments when they see fit. So if you don't really have anything to add to the conversation or if you already have said it in a different thread couldn't you just not take part in the conversation, rather then making those who actually want to contribute cycle through the many meaningless posts to get some real information.

OT: I honestly don't play too many games that have endings (I usually play games like mount & blade or sims where the ending is mainly based on acheiving personal goals complete domination) but one I really didn't like was the ending to Mafia 2. I really liked the game despite a few annoying glitches but the ending really dragged it down for me. I barely understood the reason behind it at all...

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
This is ever-so-slightly off the topic, because I do think this game has a good ending, but was I the only person who found some of the end-of-mission dialogue in Mass Effect 2 to be a little disappointing? I think the general high standard throughout the game makes it really stand out.

All I'm saying is, you'd think Garrus would be a tad more concerned about having stuck his knob in the boss, rather than being stuck in a perpetual loop of talking about how nervous he is about it.

Properly on topic, I'd say Death by Degrees, which is a pretty shite game anyway, but the ending made no sense, and really was quite random.
If you intended to rescue someone from a boat that was exploding, would you proceed to drop them from a great height into the sea from a helicopter, not knowing whether they would be picked up even if they DID survive the fall?

Bizarre, even for a Namco property.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Final Fantasy 8.

Because I didn't like any of it - for reasons that would take paragraphs to explain - I therefore condemn the ending as much as the beginning and middle.
Did you see the alternate interpretation someone did that suggested that on disc one Squall died when he got hit by the ice?

Its actually pretty well thought out. That ice spike goes right through him and he blacks out and then wakes up with no wound. When he wakes up Rinoa who had shown no interest in him previously begins to love him rather than his rival Seifer and lots of other subtle plot shifts happen.

The theory is that the ice wound kills him but as hes dying his has a dream/last fantasy where everything goes right for him. There's even dialogue to support it such as Ultimecia's weird dialogue and the final FMV makes a lot more sense.

Heres the link Squall is dead here's why [http://squallsdead.com/]