Worst Military Loss in History

akilae

Oct 12, 2009
Bulletinmybrain said:
Mercanary57 said:
The only war that the French ever won EDIT: in the last 150 years.
A civil war.
EDIT: NAPOLEON DOESN'T COUNT!
Because he wasn't french, he was Corsican. The best french army is a non-french army.
Well, Corsica is *in* France, as it was at the time of Napoleon's birth.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Eliam_Dar said:
Agema said:
Malicious said:
French cant fight! :-D
Oh yes they can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bir_Hakeim
wasn't that the foreign legion?
Only about a third of the French troops present were legionnaires. And the Foreign Legion is about 20% French nationals as well.

mr.brownfingers

Apr 19, 2010
Im really sorry for bumping an ANCIENT thread,and how long this is but I just felt the need to gets somethings clear about the Vietnam war. Im not vietnamese but I was sent to work there by my company. While it very clear the U.S./SVN won virtually every battle, it should be brought to attention just how one-sided the viet nam war was. The U.S., U.K., australia, S. korea, S. vietnam(armed and trained by U.S.) fighting against poor peasant farmers. In the early years a LARGE number of the VC didnt have guns and had to make their own from material salvaged from un-exploded u.s bombs. The had no bases, virtually no tanks, artillary(the North vietnamese army had them though)and had to fight with home made guns. The non-home made guns they had were mostly WW2 era weapons, despite what you see in video games and what have you, alot of the VC were not armed with AK's. also the VC did not have the luxury of air-srikes while all alllied troops could call in air support as they wished, or as the military would allow. In fact the North Vietnamese were the only communist force that had planes thoughout the war but even at the peak of the war, North Viet Nam never recieved more than 200 planes. Of that 120-180 of those planes were destroyed but the U.S. would lose over 8000 aircraft throughout the war. Majority of the NVA AA guns were manned by young women 17-20 yrs. As for fighter pilots only there were only 2 u.s. "ace" pilots. While there were 16 north vietnamese "ace" pilots. In WW2 and korea the ratio of u.s. planes downed versus enemy was 1:7 while in Viet Nam it was 1:1. Another less know fact was the VC was a multi-party organization, there were communist VC as well as democratic VC but the communist party was the most prevalent/dominate. The VC was founded for one purpose, not to spread communism but the free their country from any foreign influence. The offical name for VC was the National Liberation Front. The war could have been avoided it it wasnt for the U.s., before the war Ho Chi Minh tried to negotiate with SVN/US by setting up a free election over the fate of the country, whether to unite under communism or democracy but due to ho chi minhs popularity, the U.S. knew they would lose the free election and cancelled it. How could they have the power to cancel a free election in a foreign country? Becasue south viet nam was owned and controlled by the U.S., thus the VC were created to fight yet another western imperialist power controlling their country. For a small ill-equiped force to take on multiple world powers against vastly overwhelming odds shows how much they love their country. And 4 years later in 1979 they would engage in war another 10-year war. They were invaded by china and thousands of viet civilians were killed by pol pot(the khmer rouge) but they still beat both Cambodia and China while rcovering form 2 wars and under enconomic sanctions. It should also be brought up that the U.S. secretly gave about 24 million dollars a year to the communist, genocidal khmer rouge to fight the vietnamese. After 200 years over constant war and being invaded, IMHO no other country in the world deserves peace more than Vietnam. On a side note, the communist vietnamese government as already officially stated that their casualties were 1.1 million(including NVA, VC as well as laos, cambodian, chinese, soviet and thai communists)

Andantil

May 10, 2009
I think I'd have to say Napoleon's invasion of Russia. He lost virtually his entire army, and Russia only lost what they themselves destroyed.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Furburt said:
Battle Of Stalingrad.
Agreed. 1 million Russians Dead and around 1/2 million Germans dead. That was just a giant loss of life.

Edit: And this is why I should pay more attention to the Thread dates.