Worst Military Loss in History

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
i remember reading about a battle in Canadian history (civil war stuff) and this general's troops were outnumbered at least 10:1, so before the battle began he made everyone of his soldiers start firing rounds into the air. The opposing general apperently fell for this deception and retreated because he thought he was greatly outnumbered without even seeing the opposition, only hearing it.

that's pretty fucking fail.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Radelaide said:
Anzacs landing at Turkey during WW1, I think it was.
Gallipoli, You're thinking of Gallipoli.
Fun fact: The mastermind behind the Gallipoli invasion was Winston Churchil, lord of the admiralty. He would later become the prime minister of Britain.

FluffyNeurosis

Oct 22, 2009
How about some Asian history guys? Boxer Rebellion - Japan, Russia, UK, France, Germany, USA, Italy and Ausstria-Hungary VS China and some angry peasants. Guess what happens.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Bright_Raven said:
The Vietnamese were also a highly trained, veteran fighting force who had recently beat the French out of their territory, who actually had modern weapons and the AK-47 is still in use today.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
The battle of Antitum, the single bloodiest day until World War 1. (U.S. Civil War BTW)

Furioso said:
Battle of New Orleans, thousands of Brits died, while 11 Americans died, doesn't get any worse
The total irony was that battle happed I think two weeks after the peace treaty was signed.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
The Battle of Cajamarca [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cajamarca]
<200 Spaniards vs 7000-8000 Incans; One wounded on the Spanish side and the total annihilation of the 7000-8000 strong Incan army. Compared to other moments mentioned in this thread, such as Little Bighorn, Pizarro had less troops than Custer, while Atahualpa had approximately four times as many troops as Sitting Bull. I actually sometimes get somewhat aroused from those statistics.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
FluffyNeurosis said:
How about some Asian history guys? Boxer Rebellion - Japan, Russia, UK, France, Germany, USA, Italy and Ausstria-Hungary VS China and some angry peasants. Guess what happens.
Or the "Rape of Nankind" that shit was gruesome, damn Japanese. Just in case you didn't know this was when Japan first started invading China pre WWII and one of the towns was Nankind, 50,000 women were raped/killed along with 300,000 civilians killed. The worst part is the Japanese still deny it ever happend.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Dancingman said:
For us Americans, I'd say our two horrendously failed attempts to invade Canada, seriously, Canada defeated us in a war, sadness.
Seriously?
Several hundred drunk Irishmen took over part of Canada during the Civil War.
American Colonists took over Montreal before the Revolution.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Sporky111 said:
The Battle of Thermopylae: 300 Spartans, as well as ~1100 other Greeks, hold off a Persian force many times their own size (actual figures are unknown, between 200 000 and 250 000, and 900 000, or up to 2.5 million).

The Spartans did lose in the end, but they did serious damage. Considering that they sent around 1500 total troops against 200 000+, it could be called the worst military loss in history.
You forget about the other ten thousand troops the Spartans brought with them.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
[/quote]You forget about the other ten thousand troops the Spartans brought with them.[/quote]

that puts the numbers to somewhere between 10 to 1 to 100 1 odds they faced for 3 days.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Dancingman said:
For us Americans, I'd say our two horrendously failed attempts to invade Canada, seriously, Canada defeated us in a war, sadness.
I dunno, we get pretty bitchy if someone attempts to invade us. >_> And never discount the usefulness of parkas, all that stuffing will stop a bullet cold.

We actually used to be a kickass military power. Now... not so much, though we are improving equipment-wise. I mean come on, we get real guns now! Not muskets and sharp sticks.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'd say it's a fairly big loss the moment any two groups of people find themselves committed to killing each other.

JimmerDunda

Sep 12, 2009
Bright_Raven said:
There was no clear cut victory in Vietnam. You also forgot to leave out the fact the Vietnamese were fighting on their own turf they knew very well. Also you forgot to leave out the Viet-Kong which makes things a ***** when half the people you are fighting for want to kill you as well. The USA eventually pulled out because of unrest and protests in the USA.