Worst Military Loss in History

Mako144

Dec 16, 2008
Bigeyez said:
We all know the Austrialians never recovered from the Emu War [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_war] in 1932. To quote Wikipedia

The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month. After the withdrawal of the military, the emu attacks on crops continued.
Smart Emu's indeed.

Seriously though, Finland whooping Russia gets my vote.

Clever Girl

Zetsubou

Sep 14, 2009
Some of the battles in WW1 were just stupid. The generals had not caught up with the times, and frequently just sent over tens of thousands to die at machine gun fire.

Aug 25, 2009
Napoleon, renowned commander that he was, suffered one defeat so humiliating he ordered it struck from the records. (It was recorded in a lot of places anyway)

He once went rabbit hunting with fellow nobles, and in order to make the rabbits lethargic and more likely to stay in the open, the keepers had not fed them for some time, providing better targets.

As Napoleon stepped from his carriage, resplendant in full dress uniform, his guests and he armed with rifles, the rabbits were released. Upon seeing the rather magnificent figure, they assumed he was going to feed them. Filled with mad hunger, they charged the Emperor of France.

Napoleon fled the field of battle, pursued by rabbits, followed closely by his entourage, his nobles, and the breeders.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the worst military defeat in history. Both embarassing, and total.

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
Mercanary57 said:
The only war that the French ever won.
A civil war.
I thought I would be the first to think of it....

The war of 1812. We didn't even solve the main problem we started the damn thing over!

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
WWI
The Crusades
The Winter War
Thermopylae THIS IS SPARTA!

PS This thread is #1 search result from google "Worst military loss in history" lol!

ajb924 said:
The war of 1812. We didn't even solve the main problem we started the damn thing over!
Actually it did, the Brits stopped press-ganging your sailors and generally decided to leave you alone. On the other hand, you burnt only one of our government centers, we burnt the whitehouse. Truly, the war of 1812 was a blunder from start to finish, though tactically the british were beginning to send serious amounts of troops over by the end, the americans learned how to fight properly (for the time period) and were getting harder and harder to hold back or counter-invade.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
For us Americans, I'd say our two horrendously failed attempts to invade Canada, seriously, Canada defeated us in a war, sadness.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
My notes are failing me, but as I recall, Imperial China sent a huge army down to down to cambodia, laos, or vietnam to put down a rebellion against the nobles down there due to the fear that such a rebellion would spread to their commoners. End of story is not only does the rebel army spank the chinese force easily ten times its size using guerilla tactics still in employ today, but, the leader of the rebellion had all the ears cut off the enemy troops and sent the ears all to the emperor of China as a 'tribute'.

If that isn't a embarassment and just a plain old *****-slap, I don't know what is.

nezroy

Oct 3, 2008
Operation Barbarossa - The Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union during WWII.

Though the Nazi's only lost a quarter of the troops (250,000 killed, 500,000 wounded) compared to the Soviet Union (800,000 killed, 3,000,000 wounded), they were ultimately rebuffed by the end of this 6 month campaign.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
Arconius said:
The winter war during WW2, just check how unbalanced it was!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
It makes my lol every time.
agreed

russia why would you do this to yourselves?

Mako144

Dec 16, 2008
Obrien Xp said:
Thermopylae THIS IS SPARTA!
No way, the Spartans had a geographic advantage so immense that they could have held out there forever if they had more reinforcements. They could have put a halt to the Persain invasions right there if they held out longer, more important (and humiliating) would have been Salamis where Greece's miniscule fleet layed waste to most of Persia's.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
As previously said The Somme

HAY GUIZE LETS SEND ALOT OF SOLDIERS TO SUICEDE CHARGE FOR 5 MONTHS

KAY THAT SOUNDSSMART

And the winter War

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Watterlou anyone...

Anyway, Stalingrad was a bit of a dumbass manovor by Hitler, the only fucking reason why he invaded it was because it had the name Stalin in it, thats it, a name, a mother fucking name cost millions of lives. He could have sent those forces to the oil fields to the west ( I think it was oil fields), but nooooo, he had to split that force in half and condem everyone and everything to death.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
The battle of Stalingrad, of course, but one particular moment. There was one central location on top of a hill that overlooked the entire city, allowing for better intel and artillery spotting. Both sides took and lost the hill on almost a daily basis, and I read somewhere that at one point a Russian commander lost his entire unit of 10,000 men in less than 12 hours.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
Mercanary57 said:
The only war that the French ever won.
A civil war.
Naturally.

If you exclude the Carolingian Dynasty, The first Crusade, the Hundred Years War, the Italian wars, The Reign of Louis XIV, most of The Napoleonic wars and probably many others that slip my mind.