Worst plot twist you have ever seen in your life

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
WonkyWarmaiden said:
w23eer said:
Kingdom Hearts has a lot of stupid twists.

[KH II]
Ansem's back!
Except the real Ansem is dead, and this fake Ansem is just Riku in disquise.
... except it turns out that the real Ansem wasn't the real real Ansem - it was just a fake real Ansem using the real real Ansem's name the whole time! Real real Ansem has been in hiding this whole time! The fake real Ansem's name was actually Xehanort.
[KH:BBS]
... but Xehanort isn't the real Xehanort, just a fusion of the real Xehanort and some other bloke, who also lost his memory so fake Xehanort (who, remember, is also the fake real Ansem) doesn't even know he's the fake Xehanort!
[KH:DDD]
Real Xehanort is back from the past!
And so is fake Xehanort!
And so is real Xehanort... again, but from even further back in the past!
And now everyone in Orginization XIII is also Xehanort somehow!

Oh God. What? That's actually what happens? Wow, I'm glad I stopped after KH2.

I'm over-simplifying of course but, yes, that's the gist. I'm still a sucker for KH though.

Flashmanic

Jun 11, 2014
The reveal of the masked sniper/assassin to be that blonde woman (celeste?), Faith's friend, in Mirror's Edge. And it wasn't bad in a story sense, mainly because it blended in with the rest of the mediocre story in Mirror's edge. No, it was bad because of how awfully it was executed.

Before the reveal, you have a kind of running fight with Celeste, but she was in the mask so you didn't know who it was. During that, the headpiece guy constantly said "get after him!", "don't lose him!", etc. Normal pieces of dialogue perhaps, but the problem was -it was so fucking obvious the person was a woman-. It immediately ruined the reveal because you realised that the game was trying to make you think you're fighting a man so that they could build up to some shock reveal. And when you figured that out, you immediately realised that it had to be celeste, the only other woman in the game.

I guess that's a good example of how game design and story need to work together, or else you end up with something mediocre, at best.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Ok - so you've watched that and it's like every other terrible indie game, right? Well, the worst isn't here yet...
There it fucking is.

Almost 2 years after watching this, I still laugh whenever I think about this.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Ending of Game of Thrones where Dany walks into a fire and instead of dying, she gets dragons. Simply one of the most pant shittingly retarded things I have ever read in my damn life. I threw that book across the room when I read that part.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Siege_TF said:
I put Naruto down for at least a year after 'Madara' told Sasuke the truth about the Uchiha massacre and nine-tails' attack...
and decided the most appropriate thing to do would be try to destroy Konoha himself.
*Cough cough cough*

Sorry, had something in my throat.

Anyway, does that count as a twist? That more just comes off as Kishi being high since he expected us to continue to have any support for Sasuke. I suppose if you count the twist as Sasuke being gullible enough to fall for that crap in the first place but it doesn't seem like a twist.

I will instead argue that Zetsu and Kaguya being that super ultimate mega bad-guys is far worse. It had potential but that was literally zero foreshadowing and was handled like the Dash-Con ball pit debacle. The fact they were only introduced for Kishi to try and absolve his favourite pets of wrong doing was just adding insult to injury.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Silentpony said:
Wasn't that literally because the original plot was leaked and they not only scrambled to rewrite all of ME3 in like 3 months, but there was no time for proof reading/second draffs/or other writers to offer advice.
1 guy rewrote everything, once, over like a weekend and it turned out to be shit.
I remember reading some of the leaked stuff, I think it contained the exact ending that ended up in the final game. But I'm not entirely sure because I forgot about it until I played the game and saw it, so I'm not sure if my memory is/was just playing tricks with me.

Back to topic:
That the Aliens are vulnerable to water. Until that point they seem like a serious threat, but the moment it's revealed they look like incompetent fools. Why do they care so much about a planet that is pretty much unlivable to them, that they don't want the humans throw around atomic bombs? Why wouldn't they at least wear a raincoat on a planet where water tends to fall from the sky.

After they finished of some kind of alien invasion some godlike entity is presented, which I'm not sure how much it's involved with the story at all. But it's something that someone pulled out of nowhere.

I admit Gantz isn't something you read/watch because of the great story, but there are limits.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
MeatMachine said:
"Tower of Mice" quest in The Witcher 3.

The tortured spirit of a girl who was eaten alive by rats at the top of a haunted tower politely asks you to take her skeletal remains and deliver them to the lover who abandoned her at the first convenient place right off the shores of the horribly cursed island to which she is bound (and to which she is inconsistent about whether her spirit is bound to the tower, or the island as a whole).

If you somehow manage to oversee the dozen or so red flags about that task and mindlessly carry out her requests, well... the region of Velen won't be too terribly pleased with what happens immediately afterwords.
It's not that i didn't suspect her, i was simply ok with either outcome, perhaps she wasn't lying and she will be able to rest in peace or she will kill the asshole who let the killers in. What did happen to the region? All i saw was that guy getting killed and then i left.

Predestination - i don't even know whether it's good or bad.. It turns out that the hero of the story had sex with himself and then gave birth to himself and is also the villain that he/she was chasing all this time and all of this was achieved by time travel. It's actually even more complicated, but i wont bother.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
MiskWisk said:
Siege_TF said:
I put Naruto down for at least a year after 'Madara' told Sasuke the truth about the Uchiha massacre and nine-tails' attack...
and decided the most appropriate thing to do would be try to destroy Konoha himself.
Anyway, does that count as a twist?
The fact they were only introduced for Kishi to try and absolve his favourite pets of wrong doing was just adding insult to injury.
I consider Sasuke not honoring Itachi's decision and deciding to go after the town for forcing that decision on him in the first place to be a twist.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SmallHatLogan said:
Final Fantasy VIII. Orphanage, amnesia, Guardian Forces. What absolute garbage. Presumably this part of the story was conceived on Squaresoft's annual come to work drunk day.
Okay, put down the magnifying glass and walk with me. We're just going to take a few steps back and... Alright, now you see that over there on the table? The whole game of FF8, right there? THAT'S the worst plot twist I've ever seen. I don't know why you even used spoilers. It's so bad that it doesn't deserve them.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
MeatMachine said:
"Tower of Mice" quest in The Witcher 3.
The tortured spirit of a girl who was eaten alive by rats at the top of a haunted tower politely asks you to take her skeletal remains and deliver them to the lover who abandoned her at the first convenient place right off the shores of the horribly cursed island to which she is bound (and to which she is inconsistent about whether her spirit is bound to the tower, or the island as a whole).
If you somehow manage to oversee the dozen or so red flags about that task and mindlessly carry out her requests, well... the region of Velen won't be too terribly pleased with what happens immediately afterwords.
Ok, i wouldn't really call that a twist but more of a consequence.
But even if we call it a story twist, why would you say it's a bad one. As you said, there are plenty of red flags, and pretty obvious ones as well, hinting at the outcome of that option. It doesn't come out of the blue, it makes sense in the context of the quest and the lore of the world. I don't really see why this would be "The worst plot twist you have ever seen in your life".
Or did you misread the op and thought he meant the plot twist with the worst consequences?

kasperbbs said:
It's not that i didn't suspect her, i was simply ok with either outcome, perhaps she wasn't lying and she will be able to rest in peace or she will kill the asshole who let the killers in. What did happen to the region? All i saw was that guy getting killed and then i left.
Remember all the looters and angry peasents that just straight of died from disease on that island? Yeah, you just unleashed THAT on the main Land of Velen. You pretty much unleashed the pest upon the land.
If you had refused her, you would have talked to her former lover and convinced him to apologize to her. He then goes to the tower to apologize to her, sacrifices himself by kissing the pesta and then her spirit is pacified and the curse is lifted.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
FalloutJack said:
SmallHatLogan said:
Final Fantasy VIII. Orphanage, amnesia, Guardian Forces. What absolute garbage. Presumably this part of the story was conceived on Squaresoft's annual come to work drunk day.
Okay, put down the magnifying glass and walk with me. We're just going to take a few steps back and... Alright, now you see that over there on the table? The whole game of FF8, right there? THAT'S the worst plot twist I've ever seen. I don't know why you even used spoilers. It's so bad that it doesn't deserve them.
Well I won't disagree that the entire game is complete bollocks, but I do feel like the bit I mentioned was where they hit rock bottom.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SmallHatLogan said:
FalloutJack said:
SmallHatLogan said:
Well I won't disagree that the entire game is complete bollocks, but I do feel like the bit I mentioned was where they hit rock bottom.
And it never got back up... Burn in hell, you poorly-conceived game!

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Thyunda said:
Scarim Coral said:
Gorrath said:
Stupid-ass Sixth Sense. Seriously, I don't get how people liked this movie. The twist was a bunch of hand-waving because they couldn't write cleverly enough to not out and out lie to the audience. Lying to your audience does not a twist make, M. Night! "Ghosts only see what they want to see..." yeah, so all the shit you showed us could be swept under that idiotic rug. /descends into angry old-man ranting
Ok where to start?
Signs- So the alien greatest weakness was water which just so happened that the planet Earth is made of about 70%- 80% of water?
The Village- The twist is so obvious that anyone can easily say what the twist (like I did as a joke) is before actually watching it!
Lady in the Water- Ok so the lead guy picked the wrong roles for those weirdo people who lived in the flat? It doesn't help when the right roles were given doesn't make it any better (like how the guy is able to read future predition from a bunch of ceral boxes?). I am still buffle that any of them believed her tale and went along with it as oppose to I don't know, think she is mentally unstable and called the authority and asked any parent if their crazy daughter went missing?

THE TWIST IN SIGNS WAS THAT THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES YOU RUBE!

Sorry I get pretty passionate about Signs. It's just the greatest movie of all time.
I thought the twist in signs was that;
The aliens weren't hostile and were not invading at all

My most hated twist was from Predestination with Ethan Hawke where...
He turns out to be his own mother and father and is a completely closed temporal loop. They spent so much time on that and it went nowhere. I mean someone even talked about how special he was because of the closed loop but they never mentioned why and it was pointless. Not to mention that when older male but pre burn victim um protagonist is talking about the man that seduced him when he was a woman, he failed to recognize himself from his memory. They were stretching that movie really thin to make it work and it didn't, for me anyways.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
SmallHatLogan said:
Yeah, as much as I love FFVIII, I have to admit that the entire GF/amnesia angle came the fuck out of nowhere. It makes sense in context, I suppose, but with zero foreshadowing it still feels extremely cheap (it also didn't help that it was revealed as part of a very long chain of info-dumping sessions.)

As for my pick, I go with G-senjou no Maou (Devil on a G-string) written by the Shyamalan of Japanese writing, Looseboy.
To put it short: It is a revenge story of a high-schooler who gets forced into the japanese underworld due to his parents' depths and gets unofficially adopted by a yakuza boss he hates. Unsurprisingly, there is an underground vigilante/masterming called Maou on the loose who seems to target the same people he hates. We also get to see some parts from this Maou's point of view, which always happen after the protagonist gets a crippling headache. Oh, and he is stated to have psychological issues. In fact, we even see Maou and he looks just like our protagonist.

The twist? It was his evil older brother, and all of the over-the-top foreshadowings were put there to directly devceive the reader, but what makes it especially bad is that in most routes (the game has three heroine scenarios and one true route), the protagonist IS Maou! How can that be? According to word of god: Those are alternative universes I invented so as not to spoil the twist. Real classy.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
PsiMatrix said:
Game - ME2, Collectors, ME3.
OMG, THEY'RE PROTHEANS AND SERVANTS OF THE REAPERS.... but they've been around for at least 200 years so why were the Reapers so afraid of the races getting together when they could see they were fighting each other and then making the journey from the darkspace in about 6 months and rofflestomping everything in 3. Completely undermined Sovereign and the 'careful, patient' Reaper mentality it projected. And Starbrat at the end just complicating it further. The kid that died at the beginning and showed up in your dreams just happens to be the Reaper-creator, ooooo. Would've been better if it was the Virmire sacrifice
Actually, the Reaper-creator read Shepard's mind and took that form.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Worst, well there's an anime called Clannad, well uh.. the ending is absolute shit!
So the anime starts getting kinda interesting when the characters grow up and get married, then a couple of interesting things happen such as the protagonist's wife dying during childbirth and the protagonist being an asshole and abandoning her daughter with her grandparents, then nothing happens for like 5 years and because the grandparents on vacation alone he ends up having to take care of her, they end up going on vacation together and they bond and he decides he's finally going to do his job as a father and take care of her (Which is probably when it should have ended), so after that a lot of stuff happens, his daughter falls ill and she dies, which is awful but at least it was interesting but then BAM! Magic happens and all events are re-done and both his wife and and his daughter are now alive and they lived happily ever after...

Wait what?! What kind of shit ending is that?!
I mean I do understand that the whole magic thing was being telegraphed from the beginning but what's even the point of going through all those dramatic events if you're just going to Deus Ex Machina the whole thing? Makes the whole thing feel like an absolute waste of time because there is no real pay-off and we never even get to find out what he did on the "Bad" timeline, absolute bullshit I say.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
SmugFrog said:
Assassin's Creed 4
Yeah, like no one saw that coming, yet Edward is all "OMG you're a woman!?" If any of you didn't see that coming you really need to be knocked in the head with something. All of the characters went on with it so well (No one yelling "THAT'S A WOMAN!" and punching her in the face ala Austin Powers), so prior to the reveal I started trying to convince myself that maybe it was just a really effeminate guy and there just wasn't going to be a reveal... NOPE.

There have been many others over the years, like the game where your mentor/friend turns out to be a bad guy but you can tell this from the moment he's introduced.
Eh. I can't really call that a plot twist. Plot twist means story has to change its course. No part of the story was pivotal to Kidd's gender.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
The aliens in Signs
weren't invading, per se. They were slavers or raiders. They were landing their ships in low-population areas, breaking into houses and abducting families, who they'd drag aboard their ships for some nefarious purpose. It's a tiny detail only mentioned on the radio after the night in the cellar.

The film had a surprising amount of nuance, for a Shyamalan horror starring Mel Gibson. The plotholes tend to cover themselves but only if you're paying attention to seemingly irrelevant crap.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Most of the movie Mr. Nobody, I'd guess. I got it, it's explained well enough, but it sure as hell didn't get me! Another one I didn't like was Eli turning out not being much of a looker in The Book of Eli. Oh yeah, got one from the literary world too - my novel of 2014 - Ready Player One: the main character's best friend isn't quite like he thought he was.

Aech is actually an overweight black lesbian who lives in an RV (while Wade's cyber gf Art3mis is a totes hot chick just like her in-game avatar).