Worst vehicles in gaming

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Bare feet in Skyrim.

ThriKreen said:
Re: Mako

*sigh* No one appreciates the work involved in that thing.
Agreed. I fuckin' loved the Mako. Yeah, it was unwieldy as hell, but it was a damn good truck to drive directly into one of those huge Geth things.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
majora13 said:
Wait, the Mongoose in Halo? You didn't like that thing? I thought it was fun as hell. Rocket Race was excellent.
Agreed. And I'm relatively certain it was faster than the Warthog...

In any case, the very day I got Halo: Reach, me and some friends were fucking around on Forge World. Culminated in them in that thing that replaced the Hornet, with the manned chainguns. This fully manned gunship proceeded to chase me across Forge world while I was on a Mongoose. The bullets were kicking up dust around me. I was weaving, flipping and spinning off ledges, always landing wheels-down. I'd disappear through caves for a brief respite and they'd soar over and have to wait for me.

The Theatre Mode looked like something out of a movie. It was awesome. We'd do it again, but it would only ever feel like a shoddy attempt to repeat it.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
ThriKreen said:

I loved the Mako, as long as you drove it right everything was fine.

The Dodo on the other hand.

That thing could have a mind of its own.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
The tank from Sly 2, basicaly you powered the left track with the left stick and the right track with the right stick, sounds simple but it really, really isnt.

And also everything from Jak 2 and 3.

DigitalAtlas said:

Anyone who recognizes this image knows my pain.
That I do, that I do.

What was with that driving/shooting section before the final boss :|
Yea, I only recently rented out the Trilogy and played through all 3, they are that bad!
Jynthor said:
Soxafloppin said:
The tank from Sly 2, basicaly you powered the left track with the left stick and the right track with the right stick, sounds simple but it really, really isnt.

And also everything from Jak 2 and 3.

DigitalAtlas said:

Anyone who recognizes this image knows my pain.
That I do, that I do.

What was with that driving/shooting section before the final boss :|
I adore the Jak games but can't remember the driving sections at all. I faintly remember nerd raging over a race but that's it.
Were they really that bad?
Yea, I rented out the Jak Trilogy and played through all 3 recently, the driving sections are horrible, great games though, fun characters too I'd like another entry in the series.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
the Jet's in BF3, maybe i just really suck but i end up either running away or crashing

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
stewiethe1st said:
I hate the Hellbender from Unreal Tournament 3. It's slow, has terrible weapons, is too big to fit through small gaps and only lightly armoured.
For me it would have to be a tie between either the Fury or the Nightshade.

The Fury was a poor excuse for an aircraft. It had poor armor, its beam weapon was a piece of shit when trying to kill something more heavily armored than a daisy, and its little dash move may save you from vehicle fire but not from a guided AVRiL rocket. Damn thing could be easily destroyed by a Raptor.

Then there is the Nightshade, a fun vehicle to play with but utterly useless. Sure it could go invisible at the cost of half its speed, sure it could lay down EMPs, spider mines, force fields, and slow-mo chambers, but the only real way to kill someone in that thing is by running them over while invisible. And its little beam turret thing was completely useless against any vehicle, plus you had to be right next to said enemy vehicle to hit it.

OmegaAlucard777

Sep 20, 2010
Aussie502 said:
ThriKreen said:

Agreed. I thought the Mako was incredibly fun, I drove it around bouncing off cliffs, driving up the most ridiculous mountains and it still made it across most objects and it was just plain.. fun.
The Mako was absolutley amazing. For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone could hate that thing. It was perfectly constructed.

First off, it's a BEAST of a machine. It take's more shots to the face than Jenna Jameson and still comes back for more.

Secondly, to anyone who says that the guns are inaccurate. Then I can only guess you don't zoom in with the gun at all. As long as you shoot the main gun in bursts, then Geth Rocket Troops and anything else drop like flies. The secondary fire more obliterates anything in its splash damage radius.

Thirdly, climbing mountians is a breeze. Now, it's not the Mako's fault you cannot go straight up. You just gotta look for patches on the side that are more defined then others. That's what you climb up. Hell, climbing mountians on Skyrim was exactly the same as climbing them on with the Mako. (Now, if only I had rocket launchers to take down Dragons, it would be just the same.)

Also, the only thing you should ram in the Mako is Geth Collosus' and Geth Armatures. (I believe I spelt one of the two wrong, oh well.) Everything else just quakes in fear. The only sad feeling I felt in the ending of ME3, was when I saw in the cutscene that the Earth forces were using Mako's.... I wanted one.

Then again, I love driving in Saint's Row 2 over Saint's Row The Third and some people hate that aswell. I guess I love "bad controls".

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Apparently the VTOL in Crysis handled so horribly they left it out of the console port intentionally.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
OmegaAlucard777 said:
Aussie502 said:
ThriKreen said:

Agreed. I thought the Mako was incredibly fun, I drove it around bouncing off cliffs, driving up the most ridiculous mountains and it still made it across most objects and it was just plain.. fun.
Thirdly, climbing mountians is a breeze. Now, it's not the Mako's fault you cannot go straight up. You just gotta look for patches on the side that are more defined then others. That's what you climb up. Hell, climbing mountians on Skyrim was exactly the same as climbing them on with the Mako. (Now, if only I had rocket launchers to take down Dragons, it would be just the same.)
Great comparison. Incidentally, climbing in Skyrim sucks. Most of my gameplay when exploring mountainous territory was pressing at a ground texture with my face while pressing up and some direction until the texture changed.
The only difference with the Mako was that you have to maintain a speed to it, which usually involved getting catapulted into space by low gravity and future shock absorvers; which made it even worst...

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
I agree on the Mako, and as much as I love HL2, the controls for the vehicle sections were pretty crap.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The boats in Minecraft. You don't so much sail them as jump in and hope you end up where you want to go, and that it doesn't ping away from you and into a cliff when you finally get out after giving up trying to go anywhere.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
hermes200 said:
What's wrong with a truck that can drive through and over anything+everything and has a built-in FTL drive as simple to use as throwing it into reverse?

TheRightToArmBears said:
The boats in Minecraft. You don't so much sail them as jump in and hope you end up where you want to go, and that it doesn't ping away from you and into a cliff when you finally get out after giving up trying to go anywhere.
Worst part about Minecraft's vehichles is their love of exploding into completely unsalvagable parts if something looks funny at them.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Just Plain Lazy said:
GTA: IV.
You don't as much drive those cars as you do drift around on a ice rink road before crashing into everything. XD
Yeah, after playing GTA4 for a while and then playing Saints Row 2, I'm astonished by how horrible GTA4's handling actually is.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Any game where the developers don't understand that it takes time for a car's wheels to turn, or for the engine to get up to full power, will be filled to the brim with vehicles that simply make you want to stop playing the game. Saint's Row 2 and Just Cause 2 are the worst offenders I know. Just Cause 2 is nearly undriveable in some of the high-performance vehicles because there are only three options for the state of your engine: Idle, full-throttle forward, or full-throttle backward, and no area or even delay in between.

That and the fact that there's no joystick support or rudder controls for the planes makes me think that the people who set up vehicle controls for that game are the kind of people who shouldn't be allowed to have jobs anywhere; they are so bad at what they do that they will likely make anything they touch a failure.

We should have colonies for people like that.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Hey I kinda like the mako it's ability to climb near vertical mountains is useful or just run over the geth and have them stuck to the underside of it for several miles...

Vehicles in lego games not one has reverse endless circling to line yourself up for things!

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
redrefugee said:
The Helicopter from Earth Defence Force. All of the vehicles in that game had handling problems but the chopper was the worst.
This guy knows what he's talking about!

That helicopter was hilariously bad. It had such terrible maneuverability, the guns and rockets were tough to aim properly and didn't really do much damage even if they hit... ugh.

BUT!

I'd argue that it's not actually the worst vehicle in that game. With the helicopter, at least you could fly up to the very top of the map, hop out, then fire a bazooka downward from the helicopter's wing and rain death and destruction upon the heads of your foes while keeping yourself safely out of their range.

The speeder bike on the other hand...

Now THAT was junk. Fixed-direction guns that did practically no damage and couldn't be used against jumping or aerial targets, the bike itself had such low armor that it would be instantly destroyed if it took any fire, and it managed to combine difficult controls with high speeds - meaning you were probably just going to slam into a building or something, destroy the bike, and hurt yourself.