Worst Video Game Endings

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Spoilers are not necessarily needed, just list the annoying convention.

For me the worst ones are:

1.It was all a dream/virtual reality and nothing you did mattered in any way(Star Ocean 3 - PS2)

2.main heroine/love interest turns into a tree, main character guards tree for all eternity. (Final Fantasy Adventure - game boy)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
KOTOR 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2.

KOTOR 2, there's sort of an excuse, Lucas Arts gave Obsidian hardly a year to get the game out (right after the first one) and alot of content had to be cut.

But NWN2's ending was just, awful. Terrible, makes everything you did in the game seem pointless. The expansion at least retconned some of it though.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII.

I want the fucking developers to explain what the hell happened there.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
AlternatePFG said:

KOTOR 2, there's sort of an excuse, Lucas Arts gave Obsidian hardly a year to get the game out (right after the first one) and alot of content had to be cut.

But NWN2's ending was just, awful. Terrible, makes everything you did in the game seem pointless. The expansion at least retconned some of it though.
Obsidian has a bit of a habit of doing things poorly...

I'm going to go with Bioshock. It's one of my favorite games, but the ending was just disappointing.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Neverwinter Nights 2. Mask of the Betrayer had a far better ending, but "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is a joke for a reason. Also the "evil" ending comes straight the hell outta nowhere, and seems "tacked on"

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
icame said:
AlternatePFG said:

Obsidian has a bit of a habit of doing things poorly...
I can't really say that though. Since Mask of the Betrayer and New Vegas have some of the best endings/epilogues in recent memory. As far as endings go for them though, it's hit and miss.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
AlternatePFG said:

Pretty much this. Though NWN2's ending did at least keep with the theme of the rest of the story: that heroes never really achieve their final victory, and are instead eventually brought low by something they can't defeat, or fall from grace. It's just a shame that your foe was the fucking ceiling.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Fallout 3 before they fixed it. (the fact that they had to fix it is proof of its quality)

LaMer

Dec 23, 2010
Borderlands. Seriously, what were they thinking? I was loving the game until the final confrontation.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Hero/protagonist dies at the end, needlessly, or for some lame excuse. Fallout 3 prime example. If there is some message behind it, like crime doesn't pay, or the "ultimate sacrifice" pulled off correctly, (like you knew it would come to it for a while, perhaps) then it can be done ok. Otherwise, no. Or some other funny twist, like Vampire: Bloodlines, all those endings were awesome, even though some bittersweet.

Oh, and finding out the whole exercise was a freaking joke, or for nothing, is a bit of a letdown. Yes, Borderlands, dunno if I'm in b4 anyone on that one, but it's pretty obvious, anyone who has completed it will most likely list it as one of the worst endings ever.

Edit: Hehe ninja'd just as I clicked Post button =P

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Any story that ends with "That tale is yet to be told"

Yeh, right. Like I am going to get to START a RPG with the power to kill Gods.

I'm looking at YOU Kelemvor!

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
xRBEASTx said:
Borderlands. Seriously, what were they thinking? I was loving the game until the final confrontation.
Ninja'd
I really liked the game but the ending pretty much killed the game for me.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Any ending of a not that popular game that sets up for a sequel since its just setting fans up for HUGE disappointment. I am looking DIRECTLY at you Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
CM156 said:

Of course you can, you just then trip over a rock and all your gear and experience points falls in the sewer.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
KalosCast said:
CM156 said:

Of course you can, you just then trip over a rock and all your gear and experience points falls in the sewer.
In some settings, yes that works. In others, like Forgotten Realms... eh, not so much.