Would a movie about a comic book villain appeal to you? Also do you think it would work?

Parasondox

New member
Jun 15, 2013
3,229
0
0
Afternoon fellow Escapist,

Heroes and villains, one can't be without the other... right? There is a good guy and a bad guy. Heck the good guy (anti-hero), isn't always the portrayal of good. Coming from news that Sony are looking to develop a Sinister Six and Venom movie, do you think a movie based around the villain or group of villains would work in movie form? Rumour has it, Sony wants the audience to engage these characters like many have with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos where the fans would route or support the bad guy and what they do and get up too. Is that risky? TV is different to movies.

To add to this, what comic book villain or group of villains would you like to see a movie adaption of? Joker, Lex, Brainiac, Ra's Al Ghul, League of Assassins, Galactus, Kingpin, Mephisto (that one would be more of a horror) etc. I kind of guess these will be origin stories of how they came to be.

Comment below on what you think about all of this and take care all.
 

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
14,894
739
118
Maybe an anti-hero like Catwoman work work better. Only, it'd have to be not crap.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
I don't only think it would be a good idea, I think it's the only way DC could make a good movie tat isn't about Batman.
 

Parasondox

New member
Jun 15, 2013
3,229
0
0
Zontar said:
I don't only think it would be a good idea, I think it's the only way DC could make a good movie tat isn't about Batman.
Agreed, I think in my opinion that DC has the better and more memorable villains that have an interesting back story. Yeah some may be extremely dark but you are right, this is where DC could capitalise.
 

Mr. Charles

New member
Oct 23, 2011
23
0
0
I think a stand alone Loki film would work as he has a sufficient fan base and the character is quite complex - however as acording to Marvel Thor:The Dark World is the last time we will see Loki:/
 

Genocidicles

New member
Sep 13, 2012
1,747
0
0
Chris Bates said:
however as acording to Marvel Thor:The Dark World is the last time we will see Loki:/
Seriously?

Spoilers for Thor the Dark World:

There's a huge sequel hook at the end, what with Loki masquerading as Odin and ruling Asgard.

They're just going to forget about that? Really?
 

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
2,215
0
0
That was basically the idea with Megamind and Despicable Me...was being the operative word, since film-makers can't seem to get past the whole protagonist must equal good guy and start building up redeemable qualities.

Though I do like the idea of 'The Fall' and would be cool to see a villain that didn't start off as one and how they came to be. Hell, Magneto's backstory is good enough to hold a whole film, he unfortunately being constrained by those other guys...X somethings.
 

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
1,714
0
0
Sure. Just do Suicide Squad from DC. Dead Shot and other criminals doing missions for the government could be interesting. But I doubt it would do well on the big screen. Lacks mass appeal and I don't think people are familiar enough with it.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
6,175
1,844
118
Country
United Kingdom
There are certain characters who could pull it off and make a really interesting film. A film following Ra's al Ghul's past and his attempts to prolong his life could be good, as could one focusing on Harvey Dent's war against the Falcones and his fall.

They could make something a bit like House of Cards about Lex Luthor or the Kingpin.
 

Auberon

New member
Aug 29, 2012
467
0
0
Do Vertigo or Wildstorm. Enough shades of gray to qualify as Hollywood "villain", and most of the time they have better writing than capes.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Well last time I've check the comic Incognito was possibly in the work into a live action film but in saying so it isn't a proper supervillain comic per say.
Incognito is about a villain Zack Overkill who went into hiding when he testify against another villain. He's now lived out an ordinary life but he has to take these government drug to supress his powers. He became bored of the mudane life to the point he started taking these other non government drug which an side effect negate the supress of his superpowers. With his powers back, he dom a mask and became a vigilante.
 

Mr. Charles

New member
Oct 23, 2011
23
0
0
Genocidicles said:
Chris Bates said:
however as acording to Marvel Thor:The Dark World is the last time we will see Loki:/
Seriously?

Spoilers for Thor the Dark World:

There's a huge sequel hook at the end, what with Loki masquerading as Odin and ruling Asgard.

They're just going to forget about that? Really?
I know I saw that to and thought that there would be a follow up but in an interveiw with Empire magazine it was said a number of times it was going to be Loki's last outing.

Whether this is true is another matter - it could be misderection - I hope it is as Loki is a fantastic character with loads of depth
 

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
3,056
0
0
Totally! You just need to forget about superhero comics and focus on other works. Take Mr. Starr from Preacher, for example
He has a backstory that would make a fantastic standalone film even if you dropped out the connection to the main storyline altogether. A story of a man's rise to power touching on subjects like warfare, terrorism, religion, devotion and ambition. The more I think about it, the better an idea it sounds like.

Though there are still plenty of good supervillains to make a movie out of, like Mr. Freeze. His backstory would make for a really compelling tragic drama.
 

Multi-Hobbyist

New member
Oct 26, 2009
167
0
0
I've always opted for a villain film. Near everything is always about the hero. Its time to give the bad people the limelight. Show why they became what they did, what drives them to do the evil that they do, do and why they rank where they are. Show us why we should care about them, and in turn, hopefully produce further personal attachment for them. I'd copy pasta Yahtzee's words, but I'll just link to his article explaining This in a nutshell.
 

Eamar

New member
Feb 22, 2012
1,317
0
0
I think it could be done. X-Men First Class did a decent job of sympathetically setting up the future villains (though of course in X-Men hardly anyone's a villain forever, so...). Actually, wasn't there meant to be a standalone Magneto movie at some point?

Basically, so long as they're not a completely two dimensional pantomime villain it could work.

And yeah, someone else already mentioned it but I would watch the crap out of a Loki movie.
 

Parasondox

New member
Jun 15, 2013
3,229
0
0
Eamar said:
I think it could be done. X-Men First Class did a decent job of sympathetically setting up the future villains (though of course in X-Men hardly anyone's a villain forever, so...). Actually, wasn't there meant to be a standalone Magneto movie at some point?
Yeah before X-Men Origins: Wolverine was released, they were planning a series of Origin movies. If the first was successful, they would carry on with either Deadpool or Magneto.

After credit scene, was Deadpool arm reaching for his head, his eyes open, and he says "sshh". I would show you a clip but they are all fuzzy, sorry

Cause that movie and plans failed, they decided to go a different route and do First Class which told enough of Magneto's origin story. Soooo Fox was stuck on what to do after.
 

Eamar

New member
Feb 22, 2012
1,317
0
0
Paradox SuXcess said:
Eamar said:
I think it could be done. X-Men First Class did a decent job of sympathetically setting up the future villains (though of course in X-Men hardly anyone's a villain forever, so...). Actually, wasn't there meant to be a standalone Magneto movie at some point?
Yeah before X-Men Origins: Wolverine was released, they were planning a series of Origin movies. If the first was successful, they would carry on with either Deadpool or Magneto.

After credit scene, was Deadpool arm reaching for his head, his eyes open, and he says "sshh". I would show you a clip but they are all fuzzy, sorry

Cause that movie and plans failed, they decided to go a different route and do First Class which told enough of Magneto's origin story. Soooo Fox was stuck on what to do after.
Ah, that makes sense. I remember wondering if something like that had happened when I first saw First Class, seeing as how it featured so much of Magneto's origin story.

Didn't know about the spoiler either, as I only saw Wolverine on DVD :)